Which Pistons To Use?

SyNtAxx

Hey all,

I am doing my first rebuild on my banshizzle...

I have a shaved head (.027).. I was wondering who makes the best pistons ( I know this has been debated, but just give your opinion and reason why you think that) for this application (shaved head) and stuff. I am a rebuild newbie...

So i am relying on your guiding lite :)

Nick

This was a very hot topic about a month or so ago in here. THere was really no defininitive answer. I called a few shops in the area as I am doing the top end on my 99 Banshee this winter/spring. Most people/builders I spoke with advised that Vitos super stock were the way to go on a "stock" motor. They squared away the issue they had a few years back with the skirt failing sending the broked piston pieces through out the engine. I would highly recommend you do a search on the subject in here, LOTS of great info.

Hey all,

I am doing my first rebuild on my banshizzle...

I have a shaved head (.027).. I was wondering who makes the best pistons ( I know this has been debated, but just give your opinion and reason why you think that) for this application (shaved head) and stuff. I am a rebuild newbie...

So i am relying on your guiding lite :)

Nick

wiseco's work better on a banshee.....Pro-x's are cast...they work good on hondas and stock banshee's. Banshee's turn more RPM then a 250R so you run the risk of failure. Forged is always better then cast.....stronger. I lost a few cylinders to the Vito's ones....done with it, fixed or not. Not worth the $$$ if they fail for the lil' bit of performance they give ya.

Pro-x pistons....they are cast, but had very good luck w/ them.... they expand and heat up at the same rate as the cylinders do where forged pistons don't.....I think the cast will outlast the forged even w/ proper warmups...My .02 I've been running the same pistons for 4 years now and only lost 3 psi in each cylinders...I'll be rebuilding this month and will post pics of the pistons and cylinders....again, this is my .02

Why the big debate? Well I am no expert but I beleive that anyone that has been into Banshees for any length on time. Has Probably (like me) invested ALOT of time and money into their machines. Once we find something that works its hard to change and the longer a particular part holds up the more we think its the best and nothing else could possibly be better. The best you can do is get as much info as you can and in the end MAKE YOUR OWN DECESION. You could have good or bad luck with any piston on the market dependig on how you treat it.

Thats exactly my point. I researched this subject like crazy and it nearly drove me crazy in doing so. I was set on getting forged vitos ss pistons. As more info comes in I am left wondering WTF? I have had my 99 shee since it was new and just picked up the one in my sig this month, so I too have many hours and mcuh money invested. I think I'll just get my first choice and hope for the best.

To begin I have never used Wiseco or Vitos. I sware by either stock Yamaha or Pro-x which is a factory replica. They might be a bit heavier than forged but after 4 years on set of pistons I have .003 worth of wear on my pistons and will use them for another 2 years at least. Your right you can drive yourself nuts with all the opinions but I have had friends that use forged, (I won't mention the brand) in which the damn pins in the ring groove like to fall out, rings trun, catch a port and POW!!. I have great success with Pro-X and am very happy with there reliablity and quality and won't change...

Also; since you are gettign new Pistons, consider getting them coated, though unnecessary they add extra protection. Typically about 30 bucks a piston. I can give you a number for this Place in NY that did mine (Swain Tech)

Chris

Coating is supposed to help reduce friction and help prevent siezures. I don't know how it works but many racers swear by coatings hera in NY on there sleds and are used in many racing applications.

Leadfoot. my experience with coatings has been nothing but good. I probably put 4000 miles on a set of pistons and about 90 % was still on. The only spots that were a bit worn were on the intake port side becasue of piston slap. Sorry you didn't have good luck. I run this shee at 90 degrees down to 40 and never change the jetting and she runs fine at both temps.

Chris

typicaly forged are stronger, but get weaker every ride, wherer as cast start out weak and get stronger with heat cycles...

Of course this also makes them more worn and brittle..

I went with weisco last time, nothign special just the industry standard IMO. Can't go wrong with them, jsut have to let your bike warm up first...Which you SHOULD do anyways.

I was origionaly going to try the SS, but I hear they don't work as well with ported cylinders? I also heard some people having problems, so I just went with weisco. I hear vitos cast pistons are good too, if you need to save some money.