What Sprocket Sizes To For Racing Mx ?

NJ Bansheeman 00

What will be a good sprocket sizes to for racing MX ? I'm running 18's on the rear now with a 15t front and a 40t rear . I figured i would ask because this coming spring i'm going to be running some district 6 races and some local mx racing also . I'm going to be doing a complete overhaul to the drivetrain ( front sprocket, rear sprocket ,chain slider, chain rollers and rear chain guide .So any information would be helpful .

In my opinion and experience, 15/41 is too high for MX. Just my thoughts and 6 years of racing. But - I run 14/38 (or 15/41 same thing) with 18" tires. For stock, or 20" tires, stock gearing is better (14/41). Depending on traction of the launch, I like to start in 2nd gear. With this high a ratio, this could not be done effectively with 20" tires. Some people prefer different set-ups but if you can launch good in 2nd, you will have a great shot at the holeshot. When all the other guys are shifting to 2nd, you are still on the power and flying by them.

• 3 weeks later...

I did a little gear change for last weekends race in marysville ca,it's a tight track for the most part,anyways i was running 15/41 and i changed back to stock14/41 with 18inch tires.both motos i pulled 3rd(that's right 3rd)gear starts and killed everyone off the line,i didn't end up with the overall but this gearing allowed me to be on the pipe at all times,and was one of my fastest races yet.if your wondering about my motor work click on my sceen name. :ph34r:

the topic isnt even worth discussing until you know the following

Track layout

Mods

Rider ability

...for the most part- banshee MX'ers ahev to re-gear more than any other bike since they have no low end (even with low end mods)

I know i have to run 2 completely different gearings for Jack Frost and Rausch Creek to practice because the track is so different.

(i wish i remebered what the combos where though!)

tight tracks with jumps coming into and out of corners- banshees will never be the fast bike on the track.- but gearing can help put the power to the groud a little easier some times

i raced the 4 years of nats, with a duncan national motor geared 16/40. I never seem to ever have a problem. I've never really race a tight track. The tightest track on the nats seems to be round 3 which is echoconee(macon), and that's the track i do the best on. My dr motor was set up more for mid-top than bottom-mid like loren normally does.