Front End Shake!

Hey guys. The front end of my 97 banshee shakes pretty badly on the street at about 3rd gear pinned or faster. I have just replaced the tie rods, steering stem, and a-arms with 2001 parts that were all in perfect condition. At first my axle was causing the entire quad to shake, but I replaced that too. The rear seems fine, its only the front end. It will shake like crazy and the quad seems to pull all over the road from side to side. I keep trying to align my front wheels but have no accurate way of doing it. Any ideas on how to align it more perfectly? Could it be a bent front rim? ALthough niether one seem to move a significant amount when i spin them. Help me out guys!!!

mine did that with bad a-arm ball joints and bad wheel bearings when i got the shee, so you might need to check all your ball joints and make sure there tight, all your wheel bearings, and all your bushings, thats the only things I know, and if its your ball joints you have to replace them with all new a-arms, I just replaced all mine today.

i would guess either the a arm ball joints or possibly ur tires being out of balance. i dont think anyone really has them balanced and i bet they dont come perfectly balanced from the factory. that could be it. bent rim or you could be really far out on ur alignment of ur front wheels and tires.

Hey guys. The front end of my 97 banshee shakes pretty badly on the street at about 3rd gear pinned or faster. I have just replaced the tie rods, steering stem, and a-arms with 2001 parts that were all in perfect condition. At first my axle was causing the entire quad to shake, but I replaced that too. The rear seems fine, its only the front end. It will shake like crazy and the quad seems to pull all over the road from side to side. I keep trying to align my front wheels but have no accurate way of doing it. Any ideas on how to align it more perfectly? Could it be a bent front rim? ALthough niether one seem to move a significant amount when i spin them. Help me out guys!!!

if there stock arms there isnt alot of adjustment but you can take a pair of tie downs from your grab bar to your handle bars and sqeeze them tight till your bars are going good and straight and are tight then adjust the tie rods so there real snug, put a straight edge from your rear to front tires and make the fronts track straight with the rears, shake your tires and resnug the tie rods....that will take any slop out of your steering and by clamping the bars tight with the tie downs your bars wont move while making adjustments from left to right.......you can even toe the wheels in slightly that way at high speed when they spread that little bit it will still track straight

you can take a pair of tie downs from your grab bar to your handle bars and sqeeze them tight till your bars are going good and straight and are tight then adjust the tie rods so there real snug, put a straight edge from your rear to front tires and make the fronts track straight with the rears, shake your tires and resnug the tie rods....

That's a dam good idea! Never thought of that..

That's a dam good idea! Never thought of that..

if you dont clamp your bars off you'll just chase the slop from side to side, and when you adjust the rods the oppisite side moves or the stem does....by shaking the tires and then again resnugging the rods you can get ALL the slop out......

thanks guys, I have tried to align the tires with the bars tied to the grab bar like you said. I think i just need to try and align them with the rear wheels better. I will try a few things out. I just put 2003 a-arms in with only 2 rides on them and the bearings seem tight. But i will check all of that again. THANKS!

Do like blueduece said but check your toe-in, measure the front of the tires from center to center and back of the tires the same way. If you ride woods/trails you want a little toe-in (1/2"). If you ride in open/fast areas you want a little toe-out. Toe in is when the front measurement is LESS than the rear of the tire and vise-versa. Toe in helps you steer quickly and handle sharp turns and toe out helps stability at high speeds.