Clutch Steels and fibers won’t fit into clutch basket

I just rebuilt the bottom end in my 98 banshee and I got a whole new oem clutch and when I tried to put it together all the fibers and clutches wouldn’t fit into the clutch basket, the last fiber sticks out by about a quarter of an inch, I am following the clymer’s manual exactly and am out of ideas. Any ideas on what I should do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

If you are using the cushions every time you put a friction plate in you have to press the cushion in very firm to fit all the plates. I had the same problem cause the cushions weren’t flat with the face of each friction plate.

• 4 years later...

well I'm no mechanic and someone correct me if I'm wrong,  but here is my take on the clutch basket, inner hub and pressure plate gap mystery. In my hours of taking my clutch side casing on and off, I found that the first have to understand what you're looking for. I only say this because I repeated the process of making sure the arrows were lined up, start with a fiber and end with a fiber, checking for washers, and my least favorite draining fluids as the defeat grew day by day and in the end the resolution was quite simple, had I just slowed down. Second, a picture really is worth a thousand words because your problem might not be my problem. However in my instance I had a 3CM gap in-between the pressure plate and the actually hub the plate locks into. Despite the gap with all 6 of the screws and springs that mount the pressure plate to the hub in place the clutch lever had no play and was taut, as if shee were ready to rip! Now, initially I thought the gap was due to the fact that I had oversized heavy duty clutches and they didn't  quite fit in the basket. The 7 clutch fibers and 6 steels just seemed too big! So in turn got a  new set of moose racing clutches and install those instead. Theses seemed to seat  down in the basket perfectly. BUT HERES the kicker, I install the pressure plate and THE FRICKING GAP IS STILL THERE! I fill the bike with fluids and still test it to see if I'm seeing things at this point, because there's no way I spent an additional $200 and still NO dice. When I slap her in gear Shee just idles not a lick of movement STUMPED I then shut the bike off and put it in second and Im able to start the bike with no clutch. I quickly realize that it's as if the clutches are always engaged . SO the Clutches fit the basket flush, the 3 dots are lined up with the respective arrows on the hub, started with fiber and ended with one, and the clutch arm lines up with the dot on the casing. Here was MY Problem the washer behind the center 12 screw was obstructing the pressure plate from fully seating, which led to the clutch malfunction. Here's what I came up with. The first set of clutches I had were good ( I did in fact waste 200 bucks). Atleast I'll have them if anything. Solution was simple I loosened the center 12 screw maybe two turns and noted a suction cup like noise and the disappearance of the nuisance of a gap. The pressure plate , granted its in working order and you're putting 7 clutches in a 7 clutch basket, should hold the clutches snug to the basket and you be able to confirm this by two test. The suction ( sound like a suction cup when you pull your lever ) test before you put your side casing back on and secondly by putting it in gear. Hopefully this helps.