Head collant flow.

Can you explain what you guys are talking about?
Yeah, like Zilla said, to make the story short, a thermostat doesnt increase the cooling capacity, it help to regulate it.

But the dude was arguing to death, so i did a JT of myself and replied: "SMH..." ;-)

Envoyé de mon SM-G965W en utilisant Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, specialblend07 said:

Maybe he meant cooling ability? Not capacity?

After all, a thermostat regulates motor temperature doesn't it?

It regulates it by only increase the temperature, it doesn't lower it.

A thermostat works on a very simple principle, opens when hot, closes when cold. So when cold, it closes to limit flow to keep coolant in the head to warm up. Once warm, it opens to flow more. If a thermostat actually regulates temperature, if your engine was getting hot and hotter, how would it cool it down?

i mean ability not capacity.    basically while the t-stat regulates the temperature of the water in the motor, it is still flowing through the rad bypass.  once it gets hot enough to open the the t stat, the rad lets enough cool water in to keep it at that temp.  by having the t stat, you are basically super cooling the water in the rad, by letting it sit in there longer.  so when the t state opens, instead of 170 degree water coming into the motor, it may be 130 degree water coming into the motor, cooling it faster.  its kind of like the thought process of using a restrictor to slow the water down to cool better in the rad, but more regulated based off of temp.

If you have an issue where your cooling system isnt keeping the motor cool due to a mechanical or jetting issue, it isnt going to help, but it reality in a good cooling system, it does make it work better.  

6 minutes ago, ZillaFreak said:

It regulates it by only increase the temperature, it doesn't lower it.

A thermostat works on a very simple principle, opens when hot, closes when cold. So when cold, it closes to limit flow to keep coolant in the head to warm up. Once warm, it opens to flow more. If a thermostat actually regulates temperature, if your engine was getting hot and hotter, how would it cool it down?

"The thermostat's main job is to allow the engine to heat up quickly, and then to keep the engine at a constant temperature. It does this by regulating the amount of water that goes through the radiator. "

That's all i got for you. I don't know anything else, google it.

8 minutes ago, specialblend07 said:

"The thermostat's main job is to allow the engine to heat up quickly, and then to keep the engine at a constant temperature. It does this by regulating the amount of water that goes through the radiator. "

That's all i got for you. I don't know anything else, google it.

It does this only by increase temp, it can not lower temps.

10 minutes ago, ginger said:

i mean ability not capacity.    basically while the t-stat regulates the temperature of the water in the motor, it is still flowing through the rad bypass.  once it gets hot enough to open the the t stat, the rad lets enough cool water in to keep it at that temp.  by having the t stat, you are basically super cooling the water in the rad, by letting it sit in there longer.  so when the t state opens, instead of 170 degree water coming into the motor, it may be 130 degree water coming into the motor, cooling it faster.  its kind of like the thought process of using a restrictor to slow the water down to cool better in the rad, but more regulated based off of temp.

If you have an issue where your cooling system isnt keeping the motor cool due to a mechanical or jetting issue, it isnt going to help, but it reality in a good cooling system, it does make it work better.  

So, the t-stat before or after the head? bypass at the t-stat?

Even in this design, t-stat only increases heating of coolant, the bypass increase the cooling. 

i only have it on a chevy small block and big block v8,  but it is basically blocking the top hose, and bypassing from the top of the water pump into the engine side of the top hose.  this is the closed loop that the motor circulates the water and doesnt let any flow through the rad until the thermostat opens,  at that point the rad water is cool.  i have seen as much as a 90 degree split, where the motor water is 180 and the rad is at 90, and it started at 100 for both.  because the fan is pulling the air through the rad, it cools the rad water down, while the motor builds heat.  and once the motor is up to the t stat temp, it cracks open and lets some of that cold water in,  just enough to maintain the water, then closes and starts to super cool the water in the rad again.  

Like i said it needs to be in a system that is made for it, and not a typical dead head t stat like most banshee or 2 strokes would have.