Beater Build

BigRed350x

Well, if this deal pans out I will be picking up an old 89 J-Arm banshee on Friday.  Looks a little beat up and is currently in pieces.  Getting it pretty cheap, but looks like everything is there and it has some bigger carbs that come with it.

Going to split the cases and go through everything.  Cut the dogs on the transmission, bearing on the drum, shift star mod, shift-pro bearing, pancake bearing, billet basket, straight cuts, 10mil crank.  Not sure if I want to do a cub or a serval yet though.  I think a serval would be more geared towards what I would do with it.   That should give me a pretty good start on the engine and get me through winter.

Other suggestions for engine stuff?

i bought a beater banshee 3 years ago for $700 it was all in one piece but it ended up needing every bearing in the book and a bunch of random things, if I were to do it again i would buy one in good shape. 3 years later I ended up sinking 3k into it and its a nice banshee now that looks like poo. 

goodluck and post some pics!!

1 hour ago, BigRed350x said:

Anyone still around who makes swingarms like the old SLC Quad Customs ones?  The smaller tube ladder bar style stuff.  Or anyone who does the crushed oval style ones?

Maybe check Father Time swing arms. They make similar stuff.

good luck on the build. If I had a 89 I would look at Fireballs LT a arms.

8 hours ago, sleeper06 said:

I’ve went as far as machining roller bearings for shift shaft/drum/shift pro. Only difference I see is in the feel . The best tranny I ever had was an old wcr, looked way no frills but was indestructible and never had fork issues 

Bummer Greg fell out. Lots of folks doing trannies now only know what they do because they tore one of his apart. He was an innovator in the trans department and tried lots of quirky stuff. Some worked and some didn’t. My WCR pro mod shifts like butter and I’ll never sell it. 

2 hours ago, BigRed350x said:

Anyone still around who makes swingarms like the old SLC Quad Customs ones?  The smaller tube ladder bar style stuff.  Or anyone who does the crushed oval style ones?

Swing arm game has got a little cooler since your hiatus. Lots of very cool arched ladder style stuff from a few quality chassis parts guys.