Methanol hard to start?

B22

Hey guys. I had a thread about 6 months ago about tuning lectrons and methanol and what not, and had them to what I believe was pretty damn close to perfect. I'm running 39mm lectrons with methanol 28:1. Stock stroke and stock cylinder.

Decided today I would get it out today and run it a little (nothing crazy), just to make sure everything was still in order.

It's about 60 degrees here, so not really warm but not cold.

It was a bitch to get started. Finally I got it started and idle but barely touching the throttle would bog it off. So I let it Idle for a few minutes and started revving it lightly and it was spitting fuel out of both pipes. A lot of fuel. I assume it was just flooded, not sure.

So my question is is this normal for alcohol motors to be hard to start cold and is it normal for them to spit fuel everywhere until it warms up? After warming up I ran it around the yard a little and it was fine. Revved clean and pulled hard with no issues. Just a little concerned something may be up, so I came here to ask. I believe someone told me alcohol won't foul plugs, it'll just blow the fuel out of pipes. Just want to make sure nothing could be wrong. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try some blenzall octane boost works good for those cold nites

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

? Alky has a hard time lighting because of octane level and a few other factors. How does boosting octane make it light? Or are you tossing it right in the bell of the carb?

if you let it sit for any amount of time its probly best to drain the bowls of purge gas. other wise you may end up with oil sludge after the gas evaporates. this may have been why you had problems. I had a simple method that worked everytime. after purge just pull the PJ hose and drain the bowl. next time around filled the tank and bowl with alky. only one time did I need starting fluid. if you have a pump and the bowl is dry youll need something to get it fired so the pump can take over. that's why I filled the bowls with a big syringe through the inlet hose

Problem with cold temps and alcohol is due to the fact that it doesn't evaporate very well.  This is why E85 blend ratio of gasoline to alcohol is higher in the winter. It helps with cold starts. I would imagine running straight methanol would have the same issues at lower temps. So you use a petroleum product to help with cold temp starts.

• Like 1