Stator Came loose. Help! No spark

sixfiveyeti

Hey guys!  Long story short.  Running fine then mid turn she was gone. No lead up noise or anything.  Came to a clunkety clunk clunk stop.  I figured it was my crank signing off.  Pulled the flywheel and the stator still completely intact was off.  All three stupid phillips screws came out.  

The Red and green wires came up infinite during my resistance test so I bought a new stator. I also bought an adjustable timing plate and set it at +3.  Air gap set to .017.  No spark.  Not only that but when I'm kicking, the headlights don't even show any signs of life.  I've simplified my harness and triple checked my grounds and continuity.  No Tors or any other switches, red/black wire is grounded, Black/white is not grounded,

The flywheel did take a little heat during this event but actually still seems fine.  It doesn't have any rattles and is magnetic still around the entire inside and the 2 on the outside. Can this possibly be my culprit?  All my logic is pointing towards this being it given it ran fine before.  I've just never had a bad flywheel before.  

My second thought is maybe the CDI got short circuited when the stator came into contact with the flywheel?  The red and green wires are what supply the juice to the CDI correct? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did your "simplified" harness work before, or is it a new addition while changing the Stator?

Aren't stators supposed to ohm a specific value, not infinite?

Common knowledge that new aftermarket stators can be junk.

Guess ya need another flywheel to prove/disprove your theory.

The simplify was removing all the TORS plugs, wiring, and soldered red/black to black wire.   On the old stator that came loose and ended my day, the red and green wires test out as an open circuit, infinite resistance.  I hope I didn't buy a new POS stator.

Thanks

Alright.  I retested and checked all grounds and continuity of the stator (all 3 phases), and the coil.  I also put the old stator back in on the stock timing plate.  Tested out the same with all but the cdi power phase in spec.  My thoughts being I should have headlight flicker when kicking.  I still don't.  All three grounds are good.  I also checked every other wire against the ground to look for a possible short.  Nothing found.  How sensitive are the flywheels?  I have some slight denting on the inside were the screws and the stator hit in a few spots.

Caltric is very hit or miss. Quality control is crap.   I've heard of the wires on their products being mis-labeled. So that is something to keep in mind.  A known good stator is going to be your best bet here.

Good call on the wiring.  I'll have to check that.  I wish I had another stator laying around to try.  All my buddies are thumpers.  I have this beast and a KX250 woods bike.  I'm the smoking section!

Caltric is very hit or miss. Quality control is crap.   I've heard of the wires on their products being mis-labeled. So that is something to keep in mind.  A known good stator is going to be your best bet here.

You know your sh*t!!  Problem created by my cheap ass is solved, for now...  I installed the new flywheel and still no spark.  I decided to take the above advice and make sure the wire colors matched.  They didn't!  Red went to red, green went to green, but white/red went to white/green!  I swapped them and BLAME, big blue spark.  Apparently the pick-up is polarity sensitive.  

In light of all the smack talk about these china stators, I'm gonna hit this thread up when and if it fails.  This may be the reason for so many of those "test good but can still be bad" comments i've read on other threads.

Thanks for the help!