I have $4,000 to use on suspension and a arms.

PaymentPlan

Too wide is when you ride trails that are 50" wide limit and you are 50".

Haha ok simple enough. I don't ride trails all the time. If I do though, my bikes width is never a factor. If I did the +3, it would not be to wide for what I want to do.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Edited by controls77

I haven't really thought about those aspects LeagerEliminator. How wide is too wide? The offset of the front wheels is something I never looked into. Forgive my Noob ness.

Well, at least you admit to being a Newbie...

Most MX guys want a front end that is a minimum of 48" wide and a maximum of 50" wide.

Someone else will have to comment on the arm widths with an oem chassis since mine is not oem.

I do belive that +3 arms with 4/1 wheel offset will give you approximately 50" width.

4/1 wheels will have less offset (your width will be narrower) and the offer better steering response with less bump steer versus 3/2 wheels.

3/2 wheels will offer more offset (your front end will be wider by 1" per side, 2" total) but the reduced steering performance and more bump steer.

I personally run 4/1 wheels for track and trail riding and 3/2 wheels for sand riding.

What size front tires do you use for your 4/1 wheels

21-7-10 fronts

Please correct me if I'm worng here, but offset is a measurement of depth on the wheel where the hub mounts to it, no?

Correct.

Wheels will be 5" wide with either a 4"/1" depth or 3"/2" depth.

So with a 4"/1", the hub mounts one inch of depth into the wheel and leaves 4 inches of depth on the other side?

Opposite of what you described here.

Valve stem, external side will be 1" deep.

Hub/brakes, internal side will be 4" deep.

Opposite of what you described here.

With the 4/1, the hub is mounted 4 inches in the wheel, making it narrower. With the 3/2, the hub is mounted 3 inches in the wheel, making it wider.

The 3/2 makes the bike wider by a total of 2 inches. This makes sense, thanks.

Now when you refer to bump steer, is this when your steering jerks when it comes in contact with bumps?

With the 4/1, the hub is mounted 4 inches in the wheel, making it narrower. With the 3/2, the hub is mounted 3 inches in the wheel, making it wider.

The 3/2 makes the bike wider by a total of 2 inches. This makes sense, thanks.

Now when you refer to bump steer, is this when your steering jerks when it comes in contact with bumps?

Correct

Correct

Correct

So all in all, I should go with the 4"/1" wheel offset. It sounds like if I do +3+1 arm set up with the 4"/1" wheel offset I wont be too wide. But if did the 3"/2" wheel offset on the +3+1 arm I'll be past a comfortable width that will be unusable, possibly.

If it was my build I would go with +3+1 arms and 4/1 wheels.