Carb boot and filter issues

cwdaniel

What I’m working with: 2002 Banshee, mostly stock other than no TORS and air box replaced with K&N pods. FMF pipes. “Boost tube” intake crossover. Runs just fine in the dunes for my son. I’m not the rider, just the pit crew.

The problem: For the second time now we have lost an intake filter and sucked sand and ruined the rings. Also for the 2nd time I have found cracks in the connection for the crossover tube on the carb boots.

Looking for some recommendations on upgrades/improvements for more durable/reliable pieces.

Is this “boost tube” doing anything significant over the stock crossover tube? I suspect that the added mass of the part vibrating is cracking the boots. Or possibly the un supported weight of the carbs without the air box.

Boost tube doesn't do anything but look ugly and bulky.

I've never lost a K&N clamp on and I ride dunes also. Make sure all surfaces are clean and clamps are good also do you have the correct size filters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go to a factory crossover tube...can prolly find a few in the for sale threads...all that boost bottle is doing is exactly what you said its is...cracking your boots causing a lean condition...

As far as pods...like HP said...make sure they are right size and mating surfaces are clean...

Loose the boost bottle like said above. You need to run a stock cross over tube and just make sure your filters are on their nice and straight and you should have no issues with them falling off unless you are running a extra wide clamp or something like that. I have regular hose clamps on all 3 of my bikes and I have never had one fall off. 

Loose the boost bottle like said above. You need to run a stock cross over tube and just make sure your filters are on their nice and straight and you should have no issues with them falling off unless you are running a extra wide clamp or something like that. I have regular hose clamps on all 3 of my bikes and I have never had one fall off.

This. I actually have one size up from my carbs and the still clamp on really well. Do you have genuine K&N pods? They clamp better and aren't as prone to ripping.

Dont get me wrong I have seen this happen to other peoples bikes I have just not had it happen to me. No the carbs are all the same over the years unless someone has put different ones on it but I know you say they are stock. I would just make sure you are not over tightening them is my only guess. 

X 10 on the boost bottle needing to go to the trash. Get a stock cross over tube.

Here is a bracket Arlen at LED produces. I've seen many fellas make something similar. Maybe give it a try.

http://ink361.com/app/users/ig-1272118076/ledperformance/photos/ig-756581775541540649_1272118076

• Like 1

X 10 on the boost bottle needing to go to the trash. Get a stock cross over tube.

Here is a bracket Arlen at LED produces. I've seen many fellas make something similar. Maybe give it a try.

http://ink361.com/app/users/ig-1272118076/ledperformance/photos/ig-756581775541540649_1272118076

That's a slick setup. I like the concept.

this is just me but i would put the airbox back on. use some pantyhose or whatever over the top of the box if you dont use the lid or atleast a filter skin over the filter. ill bet money youve gained almost nothing with them pod filters on that particular engine

My thoughts exactly. So this is what I came up with: Got a smoking deal on a pair of stock air boxes. One with a K&N and outer wear and one stock. Cut the bottom out, some booty fab brackets to support where the original frame tabs gone. I think this will do fine.post-46993-0-05968800-1418601500.jpg