Who makes the best domes?

I literally just googled about 30 different profiles between KTM, yamaha, kawasaki, Honda, etc. Lots of different stuff out there. When I'm not so tired I'll post a bunch with different questions to keep this going. This could get to be a decent thread.

i dont even wanna see a cr250 head. heard the newer ones have a intentional converging band. i havent verified it but more than one person has said it. ive seen a few different jap and older ktm head and they mostly used the standard hemi style from what ive seen. maybe there was some variation along the way that i havent seen

So what your saying is that his pistons are completely different than wise or any other readily available? If that's the case, what is the piston crown shaped like and how far in/out of the hole is it?

There is a thread on the new Weisco/driveline piston. It's an awesome read with no results! Get your popcorn .

Few questions for guys who are really doing a lot of the machine work. Last night I must of googled 2,000 images of different domes for different machines and styles of motor. There seems to be common shapes and profiles but it makes me wonder a few things.

Toridial or turbo swirling, gimmick right?

What is convergant angle and what is the theory behind why guys keep trying it if it's supposed to be shit?

On a motor with zero changes other then squish band width, how would it respond to a narrow band vs a wide band?

Registered user posted two photos I looked at last night and one just seems to be a smooth rollover from the band to the dome area it self. How does that compare to something with a very pronounced edge that drops in to the dome valley? I'm assuming there are velocity issues with this.

Does the shape of the dome valley really play much role? Like a wide shallow dome vs a narrow deep dome area?

I've got more and again maybe I'll post photos to get fellas chatting.

Edited by trickedcarbine

Here's some details about the pistons that was shared with me:

They were built for the 4mil L/R of course... utilizing the stock dome profile, a pin location that is 1mm higher than a 795 piston, the rings are also relocated lower to keep them at a stockish depth in the cylinder in relation to the deck, and relocated windows to reduce the stress on the skirt that a modified window 795 or blaster piston would see. He said the mods to the 795 and blaster windows are commonplace in his line of work.

The real advantages I see is for the guy who can only budget for a stroker crank and pistons. He can run with a thicker base gasket, and everything else stock... no more spacer plates.

I was told that the ideal way to run is with a thinner base gasket, get the porting done, and have the head cut. To that point, the piston was developed to eliminate some of the intrusion created when having a stock head cut for piston pop-up, 1mm vs. 2mm.

wasnt turbo swirling on the head just snake oil like turboswirl crankshaft ? im not aware of anyone intentionally cutting a converging angle. well except honda from what i hear :lol:

as far as the dome, gimmick as far as I'm concerned. But on cranks, well..... I've seen it work VERY well on a few sleds. Larry @ Doc Fang Engineering has proven some motors to actually benefit the turbo vane while it actually hurt some others.