Piston windows

I'm going to do it then, at least make them as wide as the port... possibly even add the boost port opening to the piston.

I hogged a lot of material out of the intake, so it might not be such a good idea to make them the same overall size of the port.

I also added some small "Boyesen" ports, but without more welding, I don't see where they'll be big enough to make much difference.

But picture the underside of the piston trying to compress the mixture. With no windows the skirt seals the intake port earlier creating a smaller area to compress the charge. With windows you are pushing back against the intake tract until the windows clear the port.

But picture the underside of the piston trying to compress the mixture. With no windows the skirt seals the intake port earlier creating a smaller area to compress the charge. With windows you are pushing back against the intake tract until the windows clear the port.

I see the logic in that, but that's what reeds are for. I've seen 2 strokes that open directly from the intake area to the transfers. Those engines also didn't have windows in the pistons.

• 2 months later...

Probably minimal gains vs the chance of the skirts rattling off or having an out of balance rotating assembly. I just rebuilt a motor that the previous guy had built. The pistons were hogged out and wore out. I didn't touch the new ones. Just cleaned up the new cylinders a bit.

Yea but the banshee uses reeds. They are the mechanical seals that allows the crank case to pressurize. The idea of the windows is to allow the engine to begin to pull air and fuel in to the crank case from the time the piston starts to go up instead of waiting for the skirts to clear the intake ports.