Trail engine?

I popped my stator cover off today and was putting a case saver on and decided to grab the flywheel for some reason and it has a slight amount of play. So I'm figuring it's gonna need crank bearings so I might as well build a nice trail setup just wondering what some of my options were and where I should start? Running Toomey t-5's and a set of 2 stage reeds not sure which ones were on when I bought it, stock carbs K&N pods I'm not sure what the bore is and I popped the reeds off and there was no sign of port work. Any suggestions or advice? 

i ride trails and i think thats a lot of motor for just trail riding.. my 350 does just fine and holds its own drag racing with the 450's and raptors.

if you need the biggest baddest trail motor and have all kinds of money then by all means go right ahead. i have trouble beleiving you can use 80hp in the trails though..

if your crank itself is still good then true and weld your crank with new outer bearings,  get a pancake bearing and a good clutch, have the cylinders ported, find an adjustable timing plate, either get a coolhead or have your stock head modified.

this should take you from 40hp to close to 60hp.. plenty of power for a trail machine. imo

Im currently building my "trail" play toy...

Started out was just gonna freshen up top end...but after noticing other problems, I started doing some homework. I didnt go with a 4mil set up. I stayed with a stock 350 crank just gpt it trued & welded. Had to go to 65.25 on my bore size. Doing a mild port from low to mid. Advanced timing, cool head with 19cc domes, set of PWK 28 mm carbs. I already had my t5's and vf2's. So im curious to see how my shee has changed. Far as power I have no clue...but hopefully I should see some difference. Maybe later when I get the sand out of my vagina I will eventually work my way up to a 4 mil but for now... me being an amateur I will learn first and save my money for future mods

Yea don't need a monster yet especially in the tight trails around here. This is my first banshee and don't have a whole lot of hours on her yet so I was thinking about going with a little more power that would satisfy me (for now anyways). Where can I get my crank trued and welded and whats the benefits of that? And where should I send my stuff out to to get ported? What's the major benefits of a cool head over stock will it make that much of a difference in the trails? I planned on getting an adjustable timing plate and put a stock crossover tube back on (had a boost bottle when I got it). I still want to be able to run pump gas 93 octane cause that's all I can get in this town.

The cool head is nice as it helps reduce temps a bit and the ajustability of domes for varying altitudes/compression ratios  is nice too.

If your on a budget, then go Woods port, milled head , and a timing plate. That will add a nice increase!

trpkkd......  /\/\/\/\....this guy right here can take care of everything you need.  He's one of our great site sponsors and ive had a lot of work done from him.  Where are you at in Michigan?  I ride up north too and I have a pretty decently built up trail motor.  Hit me up with a PM if you wanna talk more.....

The welding of the crank is to keep it from separating/twisting out of phase.  The cranks on the banshees are pressed together pieces and can come apart and really mess things up......so most of us get em welded before we really even start building them.

Also hit me up because there is a difference in language here if you ride the ATV Routes up north or if you ride the ATV trails......haha confusing shit.

I ride mostly trails but I like to get out in the open and let her rip also. Wouldn't mind making to Silver lake this year also but I think just a mild trail port would probably suit me just fine for now.

I love in Mt. Pleasant MI. I do a lot of trail riding up North. My toy is a trail ported 392cc with T5s, vf3, pods, and a dirt digger clutch. It works awesome for all if the trails in our state. Can be nice and mild for the super tight trails around Indian River, but has buckets of power for places like Black Mountain.

After having my 4 mil serval, I wouldn't want to do anything else for trail riding... I have really small tight trails with all kinds of shit you have to slow climb over and my serval does amazing on it... When had my stock carbs and t5 pipes on it I could walk through the trails in 3rd gear and not be in the power band... Servals are great trail motors

i think the question is really   how much do you want to spend on it?  500 1000 1500 2500 4000??

you can hit the 2500k mark pretty quick.  if your cylinders are fine  and your tight on funds  get the crank rebuilt or replace with hot rods 350cc and get the cylinders re worked and rebuild the motor. even stock porting with a fresh top end and nice crank will run better. in the right hands a 150 buck "cheapo port" will do wonders also.

if you do serval 4 mill you have a lot of other things you need to get besides carbs.  billet basket, heavy clutch, transmission modifications, a head, porting in my opinion some case work and upgrades...  let alone does it still have torrs? things like that add up.

Cost is the concern. If you're on a budget. Get the crank checked over, and decide if you need a new one or not. If you do, just go for a 4mm build in the stock cyls. You can build it up slowly. But If money is no object a bad ass serval would be.... Well pretty bad ass.

• Like 1

i think the question is really how much do you want to spend on it? 500 1000 1500 2500 4000??

you can hit the 2500k mark pretty quick. if your cylinders are fine and your tight on funds get the crank rebuilt or replace with hot rods 350cc and get the cylinders re worked and rebuild the motor. even stock porting with a fresh top end and nice crank will run better. in the right hands a 150 buck "cheapo port" will do wonders also.

if you do serval 4 mill you have a lot of other things you need to get besides carbs. billet basket, heavy clutch, transmission modifications, a head, porting in my opinion some case work and upgrades... let alone does it still have torrs? things like that add up.

What's funny cam is that everyone says with the serval you need to do tranny work, but mine is 100% stock and I have no issues at all with it