10mm DMX Testing

SlowerThanYou

Whatever happened with that DMX motor, did you ever get it running right? Or did you go back to the 443

I passed the DMX to the boy's. We narrowed it down to the pipes/domes or a combination of the two. Angel talked with Tim @ Titan & he had the same problem on his DMX. It took 3 back to back runs on the dyno to make power & heat. Tim's fix was a different dome configuration & a change to the pipes. That's the same plan of attack we are going to use. Hope to have it at the track before the end of the year.

I have another set of back-up cub cylinders that were equal or better than the ones I sold. I have my old 7mm crank that needs to be rebuilt. So some time in the future, I've been wanting to put another 443 back together, but thinking about doing it with in frame drag pipes.

This was brought up in another thread. So, I thought I would post it here, with some more info.

The DMX made 156 hp/ 90 ft. lbs. torque on K&T's dyno. It was pretty hard to believe & it was only on the screen for very little time with no print out. With their tune-up it went to the track & ran like a 90 hp quad. The same as it did, before their dyno tune-up. How, did I know it ran like 90 hp. Because the ET/MPH was slower than our gas 443 Cub.

After me getting frustrated/trying their tune-up. every tune-up I knew, & some I didn't know. I finally voiced some frustration to Randy. He, blamed me for the problems & didn't know what to do. We finally agreed I should be able to take the motor to any dyno in the country & make a minimum of 130 hp. So, Angel took the quad/motor to D&M racing in Phoenix. The motor made 90 hp on it's 1st pull. With no changes & only resetting the dyno it made 120 hp. On the 3rd pull with no changes & only resetting the dyno it made 130 something HP. Somewhere along the pulls it toasted a cylinder, piston & dome.

Anyway, my 1st paragraph in my quote describes where we are at now with the DMX.

Ouch. Dyno carnage always hurts. What is different from this motor and their 80/64 motor? I've personally seen theirs run multiple passes and it ripped.

They have billet cases, 45 lectrons & more port timing. Those are the items I know of. The pipes are supposed to be identical, but they measure different.  They said my motor maid 1 hp less than theirs, but they had more rpm.

We also put on 44 lectrons for the last track session & the D&M dyno session.

The motor made it's fastest passes on race gas. It slowed on our alky tune & their alky tune. Pretty sure it's not making any heat in the motor.

Bummer to hear it got torched after trying to sort it out. Hopefully Tim gets you sorted out and that thing actually gives you fellas the numbers and ET's you hoped for.

Torched didn't happen under my watch, LOL!

I'm sure we will get it lined out with Tim's help. It's not that K&T didn't bend over backward for us for a long time. Somewhere along the lines, all they wanted to do was blame my tuning & they didn't know what to do. Heck they tuned the bike on the dyno & I did most everything they wanted for changes. I didn't have the high dollar AR paddles or a 2nd gear launch. Then after all the hype, to find out It ran slower than when I tuned it using no dyno numbers & my tune-up even on race gas.

There are always 2 sides to the story & somewhere in between is the truth. We will get it running right. I wish it was with K&Ts help, but it's too late.

• 2 weeks later...

In my honest opinion (thread miner) i think none of the builders , will build you a motor to their full potential , i mean the custom domes w the extensive research , compresion and port timings to acheve what their motors are making in power or to get it to run as hard or close to it ... i think everyone is just a customer and they do a ok job to were it runs good or better then others , but to actually build you a motor same size (stroke , bore etc etc ) i doubt it , just an opinion while being bored

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's the latest update:

We finally got our new domes from Tim @ Titan Racing, wow did that take some time.

We also bought another set of exhaust flanges to machine down for testing of some DM pipes.

I'm not a big fan of Matt Shearer, but he offered up a deal we couldn't resist. That when we get our domes & the motor set-up how we wanted. Bring it out to him for dyno testing. He said he would make any changes to the DMX pipes if needed to make them right.

We are hoping this is going to happen within the next couple months.