Matt this question is for you!

traxx2003

Matt, I need your expert opinion on this; I've been looking at a LT suspension for my bike. I emailed Leager and asked them what is the recommended shock length for their long travel +2,+1 arms, their reply is 17.25"for the banshee with their LT arms. My confusion comes from reading about other members that are running the same arms, and that claim to be running 18-19.25" long travel shocks on their setups. Anyway, the reason I ask is because there is a member here that has a set of never used Elka quad rate "old style" long travel shocks for sale for $600.00. These shocks according to the seller measure 18" eye to eye. Will these shocks (18") will they still work with the Leager LT arms considering that Leager says they need to be 17.25"? Matt, I know that the question may sound idiotic, considering Leager already told me 17.25", as I said, my question only comes as I see other forum members running longer shocks. Any input will really be appreciated.

P.S The shocks been sold here are Dune shocks, will they still be okay for desert riding? They are valved for my weight though.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Laegar's arms really are made for 17.25" you will be fine running 18" shocks. Typically 3/4" either way, + or - is fine. It's not PERFECT, but it will work without any issues, in my opinion. Of course, without having the bike in front of me, I cannot give you a concrete "YES" or "NO", but as long as those arms ARE indeed built for 17.25" you'll be fine. Dune valving typically is a little lighter valving than any other type of setup, but being completely honest, the difference is so minor, that 99% of people wouldn't notice.

Buy the shocks, run them, and go beat the hell out of it.

I just tonight noticed that the shock reservoirs are going to hit the nut on the inside of my Laeger +2 arms.

My shocks are 16.25" long. Obviously, this is not the correct shock length. I am not sure 17.25" would even be enough.

The rezzies are hitting long before full compression. I doubt another inch of shock length would relieve the problem.

med_gallery_8710_1655_130908.jpg

Run a jam nut between the balljoint and arm like lsr does.

I've already thought about that. They actually come with a jam nut, but I put it on the outside. Maybe they should be swapped?!

Doesn't seem like the locknut should go on the outside but maybe it does.

Anyone have these arms mounted up?!

"Locogato" I was contemplating ordering g the fox floats but if you are having problems, I'm not so sure anymore. I have the same A-arms as you do. Maybe they would clear the jam nut if they were +3,+1 arms.

Yea, I'd be hesitant about what you order. I am going to pull one of my 19" Elkas off my Hybrid bike tomorrow. I think it'll bolt up. I think they got the shock length wrong on these arms.

I was talking to Elka yesterday, and they said that for the Leager LT +2,+1 Banshee A-Arms the shock lenght required is 17.25". I also called Leager, just to double check this, and they confirmed it. I almost bought a set used Elka Stage 4 for $600.00 that a guy was selling in this forum. I did not buy them beacuse they measured 18' eye to eye. I really had my heart set on the evol's, beacuse I was looking for a set of shocks that would provide the most "plush" ride possible. Keep us posted on whatever you do in order to solve this problem.

Edited by traxx2003

Your Elkas can be set up to be just as "plush" as any fox shocks. I still don't understand the whole air shock craze right now.

I wanted them because they're 2.5 pounds lighter per shock. The point of my new build was to shed as much weight as possible.

My Stage 5 Elkas on my Hybrid are bad ass.

Upon further inspection today I am confident 17.25" Evols would hit the nut. I think if you go 18"+ you will be fine.

Other shock rezzies may be different so I'd only use this in reference to the Evols.

Looks like I'm going to see about erring my shocks swapped out. They've never been ridden on.

Tyler did you try mounting your stage 5 Elkas?

No, I haven't. Those are actually on my Hybrid bike with the 450r chassis. I am not even sure they will bolt up.

I did pull some measurements tonight and the Fox rezzie hangs an inch lower than the Elka rezzie in relation to the top mount.

I am fairly certain that I need an 18"+ shock to make my setup work properly.