29L/R STRIKES AGAIN

Yamaha RD400 rods is 115mm you can fit, you can buy them in Pro X also...

There are many made in Taiwan parts in the banshee world that holds up...

9/10 times you buy made in Japan you get good stuff...

6/10 times you buy made in Taiwan you get good stuff, this doesn't mean the 60% made in Taiwan is bad quality if it gets out of a good factory that knows metals and all with good quality control...

Any part can fail.... period...

where have you gotten your statistics?

The problem with sleds are the delivery.

The CVT and track suck up about 50% of their HP. Whereas a Banshee Trans/drive train take about 20.

And then there's the weight.

No one doubts a motor as big puts out the power.

CC for CC, CVT vs a standard bike/ATV transmission, the Atv/bike motor wins every time.

When you lose 50% of your crankshaft HP through delivery to the ground, you have to have that kind of CCs.

this is very true too

where have you gotten your statistics?

Rods - I know this, been there done that...

Made in Taiwan? I import direct from Taiwan, you would be surprise how many after market stuff comes from Taiwan...

6/10 is a example, doesnt matter if its only 3/10 which is good, fact is there is good stuff coming from Taiwan as well... Hotrods cranks... All made in Taiwan... Wiseco parts, made in Taiwan, gforce axles, made in taiwan, TUSK, made in Taiwan.... The list can go on and on...

Edited by 2strokespirit

Maybe we can go about this a bit more scientifically.

A couple thoughts here: one, this isn't about blame; I very much doubt the reputable builders here would knowingly sell inferior hardware. I realize they're also in an awkward position on this - if they give us the results of any serious technical analysis of the cranks or crank parts on the market, whether theirs or another company's, they're also handing that info to their competitors.

On the other hand, "trust me" is sort of a tough pill to swallow when we're talking about exceedingly expensive motors. It's a given that correct installation and tuning is essential to crank longevity, but it's also a bit silly to pretend that the quality of a crank is an insignificant factor. All this "any crank can fail" stuff fully misses the point, i think, that some cranks will fail more than others. There's nothing unreasonable about trying to work out, as a community, which cranks those are.

So, to the point, two proposals: one, that we set up a form similar to the jetting questionnaire to log crank failures, incl type and location of failure, type of rods and bearings, other motor mods, known contributing issues (air leaks, improper squish, etc), riding style and approximate ride time. This is essentially what dealerships do to know if a part has an unusually high rate of failure.

Second thought is we could take a collection for independent metallurgical analysis of available cranks on the market, which could be posted here for the benefit of all. I have no idea what this costs but would be happy to look into it. Any engineers here want to pipe up?

i stoped reading this thread after reading this.

i totally agree

is there a thread that could be setup like this? even a "what kinda crank is this?? i personally have a small pile of stock and hotrods cranks out there i can take reference pictures of. also have a few jacked up OEM rods AND OEM webbs i could "donate" to metalurgy requests..

you fucking idiots and your 172hp stock thunder cat(which is a counter balance motor by the way) , and 100hp ancient 440 bullshit are so far off from what they actually made its fucking retarded! And for the guy who popped off about the 1100T and its POTENTIAL........ITS A FUCKING FOUR STROKE TURBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I openly admit I dont know shit, but MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, I might have a clue about what sleds do/dont have or are capable off.. I dont need to use google, I dont need to hear about what your buddies uncle used to own or what a so called "know it all sled shop" did........... The Thundercat NEVER made 172 off the shelf, a factory race prepped mid 90s (new compared to what your rambling about) with a full blown mod motor was LUCKY to see 100hp... If you havent a clue, do not spew!!!