B8ES vs. BR8ES

Chip M

Later Banshees are supposed to run an "R" plug per the owners manual. This is peobably due to the non resistor plug boots. I run "R" plugs so my Trail Tech will work with no problems.

This is correct.

I have a pdf 2005 Owners Manual and it states BR8ES Spark Plugs. WTF?

2000 Banshee calls out B8ES, see item 2. http://www.apachemotorcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=36046&category=ATVs&make=YAMAHA&year=2000&fveh=921

2001 Banshee calls out BR8ES, see item 2. http://www.apachemotorcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=38188&category=ATVs&make=YAMAHA&year=2001&fveh=1002

2000 Spark Plug Boot, see item 9. http://www.apachemotorcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=36083&category=ATVs&make=YAMAHA&year=2000&fveh=921

2001 Spark Plug Boot, see item 9. http://www.apachemotorcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=38225&category=ATVs&make=YAMAHA&year=2001&fveh=1002

Same part number for the boots, so why the change in spark plugs?

What else in the electrical system would require the use of a Resistor type plug?

This is correct.

I have a 2005 Owners Manual in pdf and it states BR8ES Spark Plugs. WTF?

I have never seen a Banshee without resistor caps. Actually, if you look elsewhere in the book, you will find a test for that resistance. I think Yamaha was chasing the elusive CDI failure issue and wanted those resistor plugs to further protect the CDI. I personally believe that is more of a vibration issue.

I did not mean to mislead, the BR8ES plug WILL run all day in the Banshee. However, if you are running big girl carbs or alky, you can notice the plug difference in how much gap they will handle.

agreed but he was running b8es plugs.... :confused: i dont see why he would need to use anything different then a standard br8es? maybe im wrong? chipm what is your setup and mods?

Thanks for all the input. I will check my cap resistance but it seems I will be fine with the standard plugs. I do not have any special electrical mods that require the resistor plugs. You guys are great help. I appreciate it.

96 Banshee-64.75 mm bore

V Force Reeds/Cages

ProDesign Cool Head-19 cc Domes

FMF Gold Series Fatty's- Powercore 2 Silencers

K&N Air Filter-stock box w/lid-no snorkel

Timing +4

Presently 260 main jets-27.5 pilots

100 octane

@ sea level-80 deg. F

Hard trail / MX style riding

Thanks for all the input. I will check my cap resistance but it seems I will be fine with the standard plugs. I do not have any special electrical mods that require the resistor plugs. You guys are great help. I appreciate it.

you know the saying, if it runs good, don't fuk with it ! :cheers:

• 1 year later...

This is a crazy old post but I did a search and found it so Im guessing someone else will too someday. Brandon (on Page 1) nailed it.

The banshee runs a magneto. Magnetos do not play well with resistor plugs. Without going into a bunch of detail - they fight each other. Running the B8ES is easier on the ignition system. It will still run with a resistor plug but on this one - stick with the B8ES. As for the resistance in the plug caps - been running magnetos on everything from Yamahas to kick-only Harleys and it has NEVER been an issue. Im not buying it.

- just my 2 cents.