Anodizing, Cylinder alloy, swingarm alloy, etc. Need an expert!

First off, I'm tearing my motor down and would like to anodize the cylinders. I'm interested in doing them, but I need to know if they're aluminum (to be sure) and also if it's casted. Also, if I anodize the cylinders, I'll end up anodizing them inside and out. There really isn't a way around that that I'm aware of. However, the thickness of anodizing is roughly .0001 - .003mm. So i'm not worried about it, and I'll also be doing it before sending it out to be bored and honed. so I shouldn't have to worry about that much.

Basically, what alloy are the cylinders? and swingarm? Removing the "film" is about 950% X harder then coating it, so I only want to do it once, and I certainly don't want to try it without getting some info. I was also thinking about doing my cases, since they'll be apart, but I'm not sure on that yet. Depends on the type of alloy and if I can get a bigger tank of acid. Has anyone seen cylinders anodized?

TLDR: Can I anodize my cylinders and swingarm?

The metal in stock cyld cases, carbs, all that cast stuff is shit. You can't anodized them, the purity just isn't there. You would have to buy billet cases, cylds, and carbs. I have seen 2 motors with everything done, but you even look at it and it would scratch.

The metal in stock cyld cases, carbs, all that cast stuff is shit. You can't anodized them, the purity just isn't there. You would have to buy billet cases, cylds, and carbs. I have seen 2 motors with everything done, but you even look at it and it would scratch.

Ha, thanks a lot for the info. I had a feeling it couldn't be done, but figured i'd check here to be sure. Thanks for the heads up. However, anodizing doesn't scratch like you might be thinking.. At least my work hasn't yet. The stuff I have done has been roughly the same durability as a maglight, or something close. If it does scratch it at least won't chip like paint.

Appreciate the info though.

The comment about purity is definitely true. No way the parts could take an annodized finish with out pulling sleeves, and then running the parts through a tumbler first. But even so, they probably wouldn't take it.

Why not just powder coat them? Just blast the parts and send them off to someone you can trust will get them done. There are ALOT of powder coating shops now adays, and with the quality and technology involved it, is a simple process that rarely goes wrong if even an average experienced guy does the job. Plus with all the new powders out you can make some killer colors.

I do anodizing for a living, cast aluminum can be anodized but its impossible to anodize 2 things the same color with cast aluminum because of the inpurities.

My work does too..i working in machining dept...They anodize everything for me...true that your cylinders can be done, how long they last is another story...the anodize will not stick to your sleeve but im usure on what the acid will do to it...i say get them done and give us feedback...take one for the team!