possible future banshee

antonio

hey ive wanted a quad since i was little. ive always liked the banshee more than any other. i have rode friends raptors, trx 450 and banshees but just a short ride dont know much about differences.

im thinking of getting one next month i would like to get a banshee. do you guys think it is okay for my first quad? im 21 i know how to drive em but im no very skilled since ive never had the chance to practice.

any suggestions on what i should look for in a banshee?

do they need a lot more maintenance than other atvs?

and last question do you think i could get something decent with $1500 - 2000?

thank you

First of all welcome to the site, youre certainly in the right place.

Banshees are pretty crazy out of the box, but at 21 yrs old, you know the difference between can I and should I. Hell Yeah!

Ive heard the old addidge "if the power is there, I dont really need to use it" a million times, but why buy a slower quad and grow out of it within a few months. If youve ridden the 4 strokes a bit, you know what to expect, just hold on tight when you hit the power band on one of these beasts, cause theirs nothin else like it. When I was 21, I sold my banshee cause it didnt do all that well in a Canadian winter.................... I regretted it for over 15 years, til I got another one. Now Im happy again.

These things can be modified severely, and at a much lower cost than the 450s, because there is 20 years worth of the same machine kicking around, therefore lots of 2nd hand parts, as other guys step up to newer technology, youll do the same once youre used to it.

All 2 strokes take maintenance, you cant just jump on it year after year and ride without some routine stuff, like oil changes, chain tensioning etc......as well as the occasional top end, but thats part of owning any 2 stroke, the more you tinker with it, the better you treat it, the longer she`ll last.

You should be able to find a bike in winter for that type of price tag, it just depends on where you are? Some markets are better than others. A good place to look is in the for sale forum on here, as the members on here arent out to scam anyone, unlike a craigslist or egay purchase. Everyone who has sold on here has a feedback section, where you can see if theyre scum, or legit.

The good thing is, that with a few minor changes to a stock bike, youll be able to keep up with, and maybe beat the 450s which cost thousands to fix when broken. I had one of the young fellas that works for me, have to sell his YFZ, cause he didnt have the dollars to fix it.

Do yourself a favour, if youre serious about buying one, but a Clymers manual right away, it will be a HUGE help when it comes time to maintain, and fix your bike. And keep coming on here and reading as much as you can, youre never to young or too old to learn!

WELCOME TO YOUR NEW ADDICTION!

The biggest difference in maintenance is jetting for weather changes. Especially if you're at the edge you have to change especially if it's colder. Other than that it's no different than a four stroke on mainteance. If you don't tighten that bolt that part will either fall off or break, simple.

Just fired up my son's shee yesturday after some maintenance, repair and makeover to seat the new rings. Made me feel like I was 20 again :D .

Least wise here in Detroit area that kind of money will get a nice one. Been seeing a nice 87 that last summer was asking 2700 , last time I saw it was asking 1700 on C L.

Welcome to B H Q !! :cheers:

Do it do it welcome to the hq lots of great info I bought a 01 last summer for 2200 with t6 pipes and some after market rims and some other stuff here in wisconsin I'm 16 nothing better then beating my buddys raptor

After he said it was gunna be slow nothing better then hitting the power band and ripping down the open trails/roads

Welcome again

Welcome to BHQ!

There is nothing like the banshee. I think you could find a decent banshee for 2K or so. This is a great site and you can learn alot from guys on here.

Let us know what you end up buying. And if you think your going to buy one and leave it stock.....keep dreaming buddy, modding your banshee's is an addiction :cheers:

Okay ill let you know what i end up buying. Im from el paso, texas / cd. Juarez, mexico. In el paso i havent find any, but i found several in tucson and in phoenix i could go pick it up in my truck but id rather spend that extra money in gas in a nicer banshee here at el paso.

Thank to all

Okay ill let you know what i end up buying. Im from el paso, texas / cd. Juarez, mexico. In el paso i havent find any, but i found several in tucson and in phoenix i could go pick it up in my truck but id rather spend that extra money in gas in a nicer banshee here at el paso.

Thank to all

Not sure how prices are there. But if your willing to make the drive to Utah there are some really really good deals on banshee's here.

I'm in Clovis nm and I've seen some in kirky and around alamagordo for you're price range! You're gonna love a banshee, I had one, sold it bought a trx450r and didn't have as much power so I put a 500 kit on it. My banshee still had more power so I ended up selling that n buying another banshee! Welcome to BHQ! if you're ever in new Mexico and need a fellow banshee rider hit me up I'm always ready to ride!!

Hey, I'm new here and in the same boat as Antonio, looking for a descent machine to buy and just wondering if there is anything you'd want to keep and eye out for when deciding whether or not to buy a certain banshee, Are any years of the banshee less desirable than others? i do realize that yamaha built it right the first time so any changes were minimal.

Edited by sandman101

from 87-89 the banshee had J-arm upper suspension arms....they are a little lighter and have slightly larger brake pads on different callipers.........from 89-present they have a-arm upper suspensions and different brake callipers featuring slightly smaller brake pads. Other than that there are not alot of differences in the 87 to say a 06.

There are some MINOR changes such as the style wire connectors and what not.....and from 2002 and up they put brake lights into the rear light also.

Things to look for are usually pretty easy to see.......such as bent steering stems or broken or cracked from around where the rear grab bar mounts to the frame. Remember...you can always replace a part without a problem. You should also set the bike up on the grab bar (so the front wheels are straight up in the air) and look at the bottom of the frame.....alot of the times you can see if the frame has been tweaked sideways from a really hard hit.

Another thing to also ask the person your gonna be possilby purchasing from........when you set a time and date to look at the bike...ask them to not start it before your arrival. This will show you just how easy the bike will start when its really cold and will make the guy skitterish if he's one that has to use starting fluid to start it. You can touch the pipes and then touch the sides of the cylinders to check to see if the bike has been started and warmed up.....they should be cold to the touch..

Hey guys i ended up buying a yfz '07 for 3k. Completely stock, one owner, not a single scratch on bike, looks like new it still has the little things on the sides of each tire (dont know how theyre called). The owner said he hadnt used it for more than a year so he just charged the battery and drained the old gas ou of the tank. It starts very easily but idles kind of weird and dies out but will start back again very easily. Can this probs be because it maystill haveold gas on the lines? Or what could be the problem?

Was it a good deal?

Ill post some pictures later.

Thanks to all

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys i ended up buying a yfz '07 for 3k. Completely stock, one owner, not a single scratch on bike, looks like new it still has the little things on the sides of each tire (dont know how theyre called). The owner said he hadnt used it for more than a year so he just charged the battery and drained the old gas ou of the tank. It starts very easily but idles kind of weird and dies out but will start back again very easily. Can this probs be because it maystill haveold gas on the lines? Or what could be the problem?

Was it a good deal?

Ill post some pictures later.

Thanks to all

I'd say you got robbed for what its worth. Personally, my first 4 wheeler was a raptor, it was a gift though for my birthday, I only had to pay half (it was labeled at $3200). And to this day, I regret getting it. So I traded for my banshee, and couldn't be happier. The yfz's gonna be nice, but I wouldn't say 3 grand nice. If you would have just got a nice banshee, you would have been better, and faster off :shootself:

Edit: Just realized this topic is old, woops banghead

Edited by V3N0M