Banshee Kickstart STUCK!

empathy

Well I was out in the snow the other night and took it home and washed it while it was hot. It had plenty of anti freeze in it. I leave the quad for the next day as I am away, I come home today to find out that my kickstart doesn't move down. It's as if its jammed solid. I was running it at 320 ml of oil to 10 litres of fuel. I dont understand how it was running PERFECTLY when I switched it off the few days ago. The temperature overnight was probably about -6 to -10. I had gloves sitting in the shed and they froze solid so it was pretty cold. I also noticed before I switched the quad off it wouldnt go into neutral when the engine was running, it would jump into 2nd from 1st. I know neutral is a fine gear so it wasn't that. I only got the bike a week ago and I stumped because it was working fine before i turned it off and left it.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Either something under that clutch cover is binding up or your motor could of seized. When you went to start it again did you get a few kicks before it stuck or was it already stuck?

I didn't actually try to get the bike started. I switched it off and left it for a day as I was away and came back to a stuck kickstart. But the engine was running perfectly before I switched it off the days before.

No ice in the clutch cover, won't bumpstart even in 6th gear the wheels wont turn.

Coolant is not frozen and isnt frozen in the tubes up to the water pump. Going to take the clutch cover off at some point.

Thanks for the help guys, does this post help yous anymore? Thanks

Wow, all these replies and no one has suggested looking at your plugs yet.

Pull your spark plugs and take a look at them. What do the plugs look like? You said you only had the banshee for about a week... whats your background with the banshees? It might have felt like it was running perfect before, but you could have been lean and slowly melting the top end down.

Might have stuck a ring. Might have a chunk of the clutch basket broke off and bound up in the primary drive gears... Might have a bearing somewhere that decided to seize up. If you got water down in your crank while washing it, you could have a rusted up lower rod bearing... Lots of things can bind them up.

Pop your clutch cover off and take a look around in there. If everything appears ok then move on to the top end. But before you do any of that do the easy stuff first. Take your plugs out and tell us what they look like.

Whats your jetting? Elevation? Mods to the bike?

- Jared

This is my first banshee. I dont know what jetting it is, I didn't change it since I got it from the guy. As far as I know there isn't any mods done to the bike. I am only 6 metres above sea level. The guy I got it from is about anything from 20 - 100 metres I have just found out.

I will take a look at the spark plugs to do and post back before I attempt anything else then. How would I get water into the crank?

Thanks for the replies everyone, VERY MUCH appreciated! :)

Well I have pulled the plugs and all I can see is one plug is dirtier than the other, the older one. I think there are wee tiny bits of fragmentation on one of them though, although it MAY be dirt. Is there anything else I should be looking for? Going to pull the clutch cover off if I get a reply soon.

Thanks

Well it could of been metal or dirt it didnt seem to come off with a magnet but the quad barely had any compression when it was running it didnt blow my thumb off the plug holes it kinda vacumed it in. And it could seize like that after turning it off? I will probs pull the head with reference to the service manual as I am not really mechanical. Is it alright to drain all the anti freeze and all that you need to do to to pull the head even if its below freezing outside and probably in the shed? Also the plugs were quite oily.

Thanks,