Banshee Kickstart STUCK!

empathy

That is a pain in the ass. Hopefully be able to pull the head myself and inspect the damage then. Assuming these are OEM stock pistons, I think 54mm? What do you think I should get them rebored by?

assuming you have OEM pistons, you only need to go up one size unless the walls are gouged deep. You can take the entire top end off while the bottom ends bolted in the chassis but be careful dirt from the frame doesn't fall In. if the money is right you might want to port it at the same time and weld the crank.

assuming you have OEM pistons, you only need to go up one size unless the walls are gouged deep. You can take the entire top end off while the bottom ends bolted in the chassis but be careful dirt from the frame doesn't fall In. if the money is right you might want to port it at the same time and weld the crank.

Wow, Can't believe it, there was a thaw last night and the kickstarter moves and I just got her started on the first kick. Now one thing, if whatever was frozen inside the engine, does that mean there will be water in it now because the frost/ice melted? What do i do?

Could have gotten just enough water past seal on kicker that when it froze and expanded it wouldn't let kicker move. Take it out and ride it for a while if you didn't already. The heat should evaporate the moisture, but check your oil to be sure it didn't turn into chocolate milkshake (water in oil) if it did drain oil while warm.

Welcome brother, youve come to the right place.

Id be pretty weary about riding it after that whole thread of "dirt" etc..... on the plug. It needs to be checked out further for sure. Is the guy you bought it from a buddy or ? Dirt or anything for that matter on the plug is BAD! You mentioned that the plug was quite oily, that sounds rich rather than a leaned out engine, pull your plugs and post the pics of them clearly.

Also, the kicker freezing up like that should be investigated as well. If water got into the clutch cover, then it can affect the clutch basket etc..... The kicker gears are notorious for getting jammed up.

You had also mentioned that it wouldnt roll in any gear when pushed right?

Maybe since the bike is new to you, you should do yourself a favour, and drain the oil (check it good for fragments) and coolant and put new in, for piece of mind.

Let us know what you find

Alot of guys on here will tell you to just run Automatic Transmission Fluid Type F......which you should be able to pick up at any automotive repair store. You have to make sure your using "type F" fluid as it does not have any additives in it. ive had ATF in my bike for a full season now and there is no extra wear cause by using the atf as gear oil.

Wow you got lucky!! Same thing happened to me at the dunes last year. Bike shut off and the kicker was locked solid. Had the same bits of dirt or debris on my clutch side spark plug. When I broke the motor down the bottom of the piston skirt has broken off into little pieces and seized up. Turns out the crank was bad after that along with the whole top end.

I would look into it a little more, and jetting is everything. I would make sure you have the bike jetted right for your elevation since there is a difference in elevation from the guy you bought it from. It always runs the best right before it blows when it is lean.

I would also be concerned if there was any sort of water in there that caused it to lock up. Who knows if something cracked from the expansion. If the idler gear was what was locking up, I would consider replacing the bushing. I have been told that if that gear gives out while you are riding it can cause you a huge headache in your clutch cover.

I just re did my motor and Run ATF type F and Engine Ice for coolant. I would also be careful about riding when it is really cold out. That can lean a bike out itself not to mention running the bike in that cold of weather isn’t the best Idea to begin with. (Just my thought though since I am on a fresh motor)

I would be curious to see what your plugs look like as well.