yfz conversion fix

Darthwall

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been cheching things out on these for awhile If I made some upper or lower arms to correct the prob who would be interested? It would either be the tops with heimjoints. or the the lowers the same maybe not I figure if I can make a decent set work great and make it so the yfz shocks give us what they are capable of doing and at the least get the 1" or so we lost who would be in?

You can greatly improve the Banshee's ride and handling characteristics by using the YFZ-450R/X front Suspension parts. What throws the shit into the fan is the a arms themselves . I have a 2004 Banshee that I built to run XC Races. I bought the entire 2009 YFZ-450R Front suspension Shocks, a Arms, Spindles, Hubs, Brake lines, Brakes, steering Stem (and Steering stem flag) a little at a time. And had a machine shop work the a arms over several times. When it came down the the end results I wasn't happy because it wasn't perfect.

So this was my solution and I guarantee theres not a Banshee out there with a un-modified frame that handles or rides better than my Banshee. I took the milled 2009 YFZ-450R a arms off and sold them to a guy who wanted to tweak some more and try to make them work on his Banshee so recuperated my money on those "$94.00", and I kept all the other parts listed above. Then I contacted Full Flight Racing and talked to them. Evidently I wasn't the first guy who tried to make the Later model YFZ Front suspension work . They put together a +3+1 a arm kit with tie rods and 12 point adjustable Chromoly Heims thats made to work with all the other YFZ suspension components.

He told me most guys that were attempting this had sold all or part of there stock Banshee Suspension, and that had put them up Shit Creek without a paddle, and he knew there would be a demand for such a kit. Man does it make a difference!!!! It takes some time to get the adjustments right, but in the end the goal is achieved.......A Banshee that rides drives and jumps like a real MX Bike. It only differs from the new YFZ in a couple of ways and I'm trying to perfect those things as well.

1. The steering is stiffer than the YFZ.

2. It's exactly .5 inches narrower and 2 inches higher than the YFZ.

3. The center of gravity is quite-a-bit higher do the the seat lay out.

So I'm ordering a steering stabilizer to take care of the stiff steering, I changed my front tires from 21X6-10 to 19X4-10. I adjusted the shocks just a little to let the front end out .5 inches, and now I'm trying to find a way to lower the center of gravity by changing the seat. .

Thats what I was looking for when I ran across this forum post, Is there anything you can do short of modding the frame (and I'm NOT doing that) to get a better center of gravity? I was wondering can a Raptor, YFZ, or any other sport quads seat be modified to get you ass down a couple of inches? Any help or input would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

Some of that info seems strange, aren't the yfzR's wider than older models and also have narrower frame rails? Seems as though this would not only make the banshee ridiculously wide but also the shock mounts would be further out making it sit even lower? Seems like a horrible set up for XC.

A steering stabilizer will not make the bikes steering less stiff.

Also adjusting the shocks to gain an extra .5? You mean you adjusted the ride height lower until you got the width you needed? Doesn't sound like proper procedure.

Can Matt or someone clarify what I'm missing here if he is on the right track? I'd hate to be misinformed or have others misinformed by this.

You can greatly improve the Banshee's ride and handling characteristics by using the YFZ-450R/X front Suspension parts. What throws the shit into the fan is the a arms themselves . I have a 2004 Banshee that I built to run XC Races. I bought the entire 2009 YFZ-450R Front suspension Shocks, a Arms, Spindles, Hubs, Brake lines, Brakes, steering Stem (and Steering stem flag) a little at a time. And had a machine shop work the a arms over several times. When it came down the the end results I wasn't happy because it wasn't perfect.

So this was my solution and I guarantee theres not a Banshee out there with a un-modified frame that handles or rides better than my Banshee. I took the milled 2009 YFZ-450R a arms off and sold them to a guy who wanted to tweak some more and try to make them work on his Banshee so recuperated my money on those "$94.00", and I kept all the other parts listed above. Then I contacted Full Flight Racing and talked to them. Evidently I wasn't the first guy who tried to make the Later model YFZ Front suspension work . They put together a +3+1 a arm kit with tie rods and 12 point adjustable Chromoly Heims thats made to work with all the other YFZ suspension components.

He told me most guys that were attempting this had sold all or part of there stock Banshee Suspension, and that had put them up Shit Creek without a paddle, and he knew there would be a demand for such a kit. Man does it make a difference!!!! It takes some time to get the adjustments right, but in the end the goal is achieved.......A Banshee that rides drives and jumps like a real MX Bike. It only differs from the new YFZ in a couple of ways and I'm trying to perfect those things as well.

1. The steering is stiffer than the YFZ.

2. It's exactly .5 inches narrower and 2 inches higher than the YFZ.

3. The center of gravity is quite-a-bit higher do the the seat lay out.

So I'm ordering a steering stabilizer to take care of the stiff steering, I changed my front tires from 21X6-10 to 19X4-10. I adjusted the shocks just a little to let the front end out .5 inches, and now I'm trying to find a way to lower the center of gravity by changing the seat. .

Thats what I was looking for when I ran across this forum post, Is there anything you can do short of modding the frame (and I'm NOT doing that) to get a better center of gravity? I was wondering can a Raptor, YFZ, or any other sport quads seat be modified to get you ass down a couple of inches? Any help or input would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

first off the stiff steering is why I started this topic. If you want a custom seat pm VegasJeff he does nice work and can probably shave the seat down it's done alot on drag bikes but might not be very comfortable?

Some of that info seems strange, aren't the yfzR's wider than older models and also have narrower frame rails? Seems as though this would not only make the banshee ridiculously wide but also the shock mounts would be further out making it sit even lower? Seems like a horrible set up for XC.

Also adjusting the shocks to gain an extra .5? You mean you adjusted the ride height lower until you got the width you needed? Doesn't sound like proper procedure.

Can Matt or someone clarify what I'm missing here if he is on the right track? I'd hate to be misinformed or have others misinformed by this.

the 450r suspention is different than the 450. 450r has longer shocks making up for the added length in A arms its the same as using +3 longtravel arms with 18" shocks on a banshee. the problem we have is the yfz has narrow lower rails not sure but close to 1" on each side and kicks the bottom of the tire out on a banshee and binds the ball joints up

I'm at a loss... :shrugani:

Sounds like he put me up to a challenge. If I can build an unmodified frame bike, that rides better than yours, what do I get? Because I GUARANTEE I can build a bike, that would make yours feel like riding on top of a brick shit house. :P

Steering stabilizers, in MOST applications stiffen steering. They are essentially a tiny little shock absorber that "absorbs" quick little jolts. For example, you're riding on a trail, over a ton of tree roots at a diagonal approach, rather than the bars jarring back and forth every time your tire hits a tree root, this slows down that motion. In normal riding, it will indeed make your steering stiffer.

As far as the a-arms go, mounting to a stock Banshee frame, It's possible. Stupid, but possible. It would make the bike so ridiculously wide, that it would be about +4 each side.

I'm still up for the build challenge though. :D

I have a 2004 Banshee that I built to run XC Races.

They put together a +3+1 a arm kit

If you built it to run XC then why the fuck would you get +3+1 a arm kit..You couldn't get anywhere with that. FAIL and another FAIL to you and the creator of this post for talkin about how great your cobbled frontends are.

I'm at a loss... :shrugani:

Sounds like he put me up to a challenge. If I can build an unmodified frame bike, that rides better than yours, what do I get? Because I GUARANTEE I can build a bike, that would make yours feel like riding on top of a brick shit house. :P

Steering stabilizers, in MOST applications stiffen steering. They are essentially a tiny little shock absorber that "absorbs" quick little jolts. For example, you're riding on a trail, over a ton of tree roots at a diagonal approach, rather than the bars jarring back and forth every time your tire hits a tree root, this slows down that motion. In normal riding, it will indeed make your steering stiffer.

As far as the a-arms go, mounting to a stock Banshee frame, It's possible. Stupid, but possible. It would make the bike so ridiculously wide, that it would be about +4 each side.

I'm still up for the build challenge though. :D

Thank you,

Confirmed everything I was thinking with that set up.

The YFZR is a lot wider, and the frame is narrower. I'm not trying to mislead any one. I'm still fairly new to BansheeHQ. I bought my Banshee last year. It was the second quad I've owned (First quad being a Blaster back in 1999). I posted my YFZ Conversion Fix on this forum in hopes of keeping other fellow Banshee riders from making the mistakes I did. Please don't rake me over the coals and try to discredit me like I'm a 13 year old making up lies and exaggerating things. It seems like every time I post information I have obtained building my Banshee over the past year someone has a negative reply. I got 95% of my build information from BansheeHQ reading the results of parts and set up's people have tried. This is a great forum with great information, all I'm trying to do is give back in hopes of helping out.

Your right I found out later that a steering stabilizer will not aid in the steering stiffness. I was under the assumption that a steering stabilizer Box like GPR Steering Stabilizer and Damper would help out the steering stiffness. I posted that on the forum before I had done the proper research.

I posted what I've learned while I while attempting the later model YFZR Front suspension. As far as I know I'm the only one thats attempted the new front end swap. If you stand back and look at the new YFZR and you've read the 06 and bellow YFZ Suspension swap forum on BansheeHQ you think "I can take a case of beer and a couple of nights in the garage and make this work"! But it can't be done without serious frame modification and I wanted to let the other people that might be thinking about doing it know it doesn't work.... With the R front suspension any way..... I think I posted the width and wheel base out come on another post because I don't see it, but it ends up +7-2 Making the Banshee set a total of 14 inches wider than it sets stock and the geometry is hideous. The YFZR and the Banshee frame are shaped completely different. The only way you could possibly make it work would require major frame modifications. The newer YFZ's frame is shaped like a V this makes the lower a arms longer than the top a arms.

The bottom line is the a arms off the YFZR wont work. I ended up putting all the 2009 YFZR Suspension upgrades on my Banshee and used Full Flights a arms for the YFZ Conversion Kit, and everything worked out great IMO. This is the kit I bought. The 12 point adjustable Chromoly Heims allow the proper adjustments to be made in order to run the updated upgraded YFZR Shocks, Spindles, Brakes, Hubs, and steering stem and keep perfect geometry along with the ball joints setting at the proper angle. This Full Flight kit runs about $360.00 plus $25.00 Shipping on eBay.

163778_498880149827_742274827_6008510_5552443_n.jpg

FULLFLIGHT CAN ONLY BE ACHEIVED BY LIVING DANGEROUSLY.

PHONE PAYMENTS 270-236-3535 THESE NEW A-ARMS ARE DESIGNED TO USE WITH STOCK OEM YFZ450 SHOCKS. THESE ARE BRAND NEW FULLFLIGHT RACING A-ARMS WITH 12 POINT MOUNTED CHROMOLY HEIM JOINTS, TIE RODS, AND TIE ROD ENDS. YOU WILL RECEIVE A COMPLETE SET OF +3+1 FULLY ADJUSTABLE FOR A 1990 UP BANSHEE. (ONLY 1/2 A SET IS SHOWN) . NO SPINDLE REAMING.

TIG WELDED FOR STRENGTH AND DURABILITY.

THEY COME WITH OUR NEW STYLE, 2010 CHROMOLY HEIM JOINTS, THAT HAVE NO BOLTS IN THE SPINDLE INSERT PINS(KING PINS), THIS MEANS NO BOLTS TO FALL OUT, OR TO BE THREADLOCKED, LIKE OTHER A-ARM COMPANIES USE .

SILVER VEIN POWDER COATING.

BE SURE TO EMAIL US YOUR COLOR AFTER YOUR PURCHASE AND WE WILL CONFIRM, IT BACK TO YOU BY EMAIL.

THE SET INCLUDES- 2 UPPER AND 2 LOWER A-ARMS, 2 TIE RODS AND A COMPLETE SET OF HARDWARE, EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO INSTALL YOUR NEW SET OF FULLFLIGHT A-ARMS.

CONSTRUCTED USING DOM- .120 WALL TUBING. RETAIL IS $599.99. THE A-ARMS ARE POWDER COATED AND COME WITH A LIFETIME WARRANTY. IF YOU BEND THEM, THEY WILL BE REPLACED.

THEY WORK REALLY WELL FOR THAT FRAME THAT HAS BEEN BENT OR TWEEKED A BIT FROM AN ACCIDENT, ALLOWING YOU TO COMPENSATE FOR THE ERRORS AND MISALIGNMENT OF THE FRAME BY GIVING YOU 12 POINTS TO WORK WITH.

YOUR ITEM WILL BE SHIPPED WITHIN 3-4 BUSINESS DAYS FROM THE TIME YOUR PAYMENT IS RECEIVED.

PAYMENT MUST BE RECEIVED WITHIN 7 DAYS FROM THE TIME THE ITEM IS PURCHASED.

ACCEPTABLE PAYMENTS: PAYPAL, CREDIT, DEBIT CARD PAYMENTS

SHIPPING WILL BE $22.00 FOR THE LOWER 48 STATES. ALASKA AND HAWAII MUST CONTACT US FOR SHIPPING CHARGES. INTERNATIONAL SALES, PLEASE EMAIL US FOR SHIPPING CHARGES.

PHONE PAYMENTS 270-236-3535

TAKE FLIGHT WITH FULLFLIGHT

Thank you,

Confirmed everything I was thinking with that set up.

We have two completely different set ups, your suspensions set up for MX Racing mine is set up for XC. If you can put together a suspension that works better than mine spending the same amount of money I invested in my set up I would like to see it.