yfz conversion fix

Darthwall

Yeah I agree with Tyler and Cam.

I used to think it would be cool to run the 450 stuff on the front of the Banshee, but after looking at / into doing it, it really throws things out of whack....The front of the Shee frame really needs to be modded to except the 450 parts. the frame needs to be narrowed and needs to have some rake added. I have a spare roller that I thought about attempting those things with for a duner, but don't know if I really wanna fool with that or not.

I think the biggest reason the 450 arms don't work all the greatest on the Banshee is swapping the uppers from side to side just to make them clear the shocks......That's just Dumb !!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is it or isn't it a good upgrade. I've been reading up on these and it seems to be a 50 50. I just bought a set off nyuk and am working on polishing everything now. I'm really hoping it's a good setup. And what extactly do you gain in width and all that?

So is it or isn't it a good upgrade. I've been reading up on these and it seems to be a 50 50. I just bought a set off nyuk and am working on polishing everything now. I'm really hoping it's a good setup. And what extactly do you gain in width and all that?

Just try it.. some people like it and some don't, but from switching the upper control arms from left to right to clear the shocks.... in My opinion is just crazy because you are changing the upper an d lower ball joints in relation to what they should be and that's even if they are correct to begin with on the Banshee frame...

I am quite certain that nobody has measured up a 450 frame to check the actual upper to lower control arm alignment before people just started slapping these things on a Banshee and then realizing the shocks don't clear the back of the upper arm... so they start swapping them from side to side........ :shootself:

In all actuality the Banshee frame needs to be narrowed in the front , rake added and reconfigured to as close to a 450 as possible to make them work correctly. Do as you may, like I have said some like, and some don't.

Mike

it was just somone's idea to run longer arms for cheap on a banshee.......really, if you are gonna do the frame, then might as well run something other than stock 450 arms.........that is the reason i want a pair to stage and measure....i was able to get a few measurements on a mounted set in washington this summer, but not ones in proper orientation......and you are right, the caster is way off...somewhere between 12-15 degrees, if i remember.....which is rediculous. camber is within reason, though.

ya that was the problem first off someone tried making them fit and got them to work he never talked about how much more effort it takes to turn the danm thing but the damage is dome I haven't given up on this I will try and sit down this weekend and figure out what needs to be done and shit for the fun of it I will figure out two different options

ok I have run some numbers the top arm to correct this prob would be 135.00 shipped for both sides using a mooge ball joint instead of a heim joint it is a high quality part so no worries if yoiu prefer heim joints pm me fo a change

Edited by Darthwall

• 4 weeks later...

I did the MOD 2 years ago, running all YFZ parts up front and love it...I ride dunes, trails, and MX and it is a hugh difference. It is night and day from the stock shee setup and the handling is great for all types of riding. I have the same ground clearence as my YFZ in front.

*I have had no issues or complainants at all. If done correctly this is a great MOD.

o53z3n.jpg

24opp2o.jpg

30sjz1f.jpg

npgc9l.jpg

I agree with you the cost is close if I do the upper arm by all meens I am not trying to make money just fix a prob if somome knowes the moog # for these it would be great if not what is a good heim jionte to use

Edited by Darthwall

i used all raptor 700 stuff including shocks, aluminum spindles/hubs and brakes. the arms are the same as a yfz, but the shocks are longer. i dont seem to have the camber problem everyone is talking about, is everyone using banshee spindles with yfz arms? that might be a problem? all i can say is my setup is night and day compared to stock, it handles much better, rides better and a huge improvement on the brakes. although i really like the setup, i had all of the suspension sitting in my shop when i got the banshee and if i didnt already have it all i probably would have just bought aftermarket. so unless you can get the entire raptor/yfz setup (arms, spindles ect.) for a really good deal i would just go aftermarket.

i know there is a ball-joint angle problem with banshee spindles, but idk what it does to camber. caster is one big problem. especially flat track, where it's lowered. turning becomes an absolute bear, because the caster is making the wheels try to push strait

I had a banshee yfz hybrid a while back and really didn't like it as much as I thought I would. I liked the feel of the banshee with a +2+1 front and -2 rear better. :confused:

I wonder, I haven't found much in the way of information on this but how does using YFZ or Raptor spindles on aftermarket banshee specific a arms affect the geometry? I wouldn't think there would be any negative effect.

I have never individually weighed the two side by side but I have to assume the aluminum spindles are lighter. :unsure: