Avgas

$5.20 a gallon? You got ripped off. I just picked up 20 gallons of 100LL for $3.85 a gallon. I have run avgas for 20 years in all my two stoke bikes. Stock and modified. Avgas even gives the stock two-storke bikes a boost. :) The mith that avgas is made for hi altitude is bs. Its good at not ever vapor locking and planes always takeoff at full power on the ground and then idea back when in the air. The LL does stand for Low Lead but has more lead content then regular pump gas used to have. Also the lead helps keep your motor cool.

Where do you live? I live in San Diego and the COL is pretty damn expensive here along with fuel prices!!!

That would suport the fact that an engine builds its maximum HP on the edge of detonation. Running race fuel in an engine that doesnt require it will cause a HP drop. Mix 3 parts of your blue av gas to 1 part pump 87 octane and I bet you would find a little more hp. Like anything you can only get so close to the line before you cross it. In this case if you cross it, it might cost you a set of pistons at the minimum.

So, look at my sig and tell me what u think? I have 19cc domes with +6 timing at seal level. Can I run 4g/1g pump and be fine or should I just run straight 100LL? Just trying to pinch pennies and max my HP for what I've got

That would suport the fact that an engine builds its maximum HP on the edge of detonation. Running race fuel in an engine that doesnt require it will cause a HP drop. Mix 3 parts of your blue av gas to 1 part pump 87 octane and I bet you would find a little more hp. Like anything you can only get so close to the line before you cross it. In this case if you cross it, it might cost you a set of pistons at the minimum.

I run it in Drag racing car aswell with a Aluminum 13.5:1 427C.I Big Block. Never ever had a problem.

Edited by EvilBanshee

Yeah here in phx at the Deer Valley air port it is $4.74 gal right now. Watching it right now because I need 35gals for his coming weekend.

I just picked up 10 gallons at Deer Valley a couple hours ago and it cost me 53.03 out the door. So $5.30 a gallon. They post a lower price but then add a fee on to it. Still worth it to me though.

I run it in Drag racing car aswell with a Aluminum 13.5:1 427C.I Big Block. Never ever had a problem.

I am just saying that you were probably running a race fuel that was more octane than you needed. It was on the safe side. When you switched to 100 ll you ran a lower octane fuel, still on the safe side, and it made more hp. Just like putting race fuel or av gas in a stock machine. You would loose hp due to running a high octane fuel in an engine that doesnt require it.

The only way higher octane fuel is going to hurt HP is on a stock compression motor is if you don’t put more timing in to compensate for the slower burn rate. Race fuel does burn with more BTUs so your stocker will run a LITTLE better and the lead will make your rings and bearing last a LITTLE longer but IMO NO it’s not worth running on stock compression when you can make 80 HP on good pump fuel and a well tuned motor.

Or instead of mixing, you could bump your timing up a little more too. That would take some of your topend away though.

I just picked up 10 gallons at Deer Valley a couple hours ago and it cost me 53.03 out the door. So $5.30 a gallon. They post a lower price but then add a fee on to it. Still worth it to me though.

I went to Atlantic and got it for $4.81 gal

They wave the $20.00 facility fee.

Got 29gals for $155.34

But there is some BS Non Fuel Subtotal for $14.50.. What the F is that?

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting topic. I've always followed the rumor that running aviation fuel in anything other than airplanes would burn your motor up due too the slow burn time.

This would save me the hassel of having of having 2 gas cans for wife's banshee (pump gas) and my TRX250r (50/50).

Any of you guys running aviation fuel in your 4-strokers (YFZ450)?

i'm sure i've heard plenty running it in the pokers.......just a tid-bit.....100LL contains the same amount of lube as leaded, because it is needed with the fuel. we premix, so it wouldn't be a problem, but, since it's a "dry aeromatic" it would otherwise wash away any other lube that was presesnt. it has a lead substitute, so you get the valve and cylinder protection, without the build-up. ok, back to it making more power.......i bet you can mix the race fuel, and pump to get equal octane, and it will still have more energy. i mix mine at 50/50 100ll, and 90pump with 185psi and +5.5, but the cr and pipes match it right, so it's a good balance. i would be less focused on getting your cr and timing to match the fuel, and more focused on what compression and timing will run best for your style/preference, and then run the octane that matches your build...

so, vismark, you could just mill/re-chamber the head, or buy a cool head for the wife's bike, and set the timing, and run the same fuel....if you guys ride together, she is gonna want the added bottom and mid, anyways.