Ice racing setup & stud pattern

04Banshee

ive been racing ice since 1984 and yes the front two rib sand star tires work well.i run them on my 450r and im trying the new duel mohawk style tire this year on the new banshee.keep in mind i only run all pro classes.the rears i run the cubed chenzs and run one screw per knob and then two per knob on the out side.on your left tire i also put two screws on the inside knobs for corner traction.ill try and get some pics

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres some to.notice how i tried to paint how the studs looks like inside the rubber.that way you never have to think about loosing them unless you use a special tool to pull them out or hit a stone or so.if good taken care of,those ones will almost last forever.the rubber will rotten up long before i think.

ice3.jpg

ice2.jpg

ice.jpg

Heres some to.notice how i tried to paint how the studs looks like inside the rubber.that way you never have to think about loosing them unless you use a special tool to pull them out or hit a stone or so.if good taken care of,those ones will almost last forever.the rubber will rotten up long before i think.

ice3.jpg

ice2.jpg

ice.jpg

i herd about those good studs for anything but not even close to cold cutters

Don't know why every one makes this so complicated. The tamers USED to be the hot ticket when they were the only blocky profile tire that would have a good base for several studs. NOW there is the Cheng Shin tire made SPECIFICALLY for holding studs. The rubber is optimised to be soft enough to give flex or cushion, yet firm enough to hold studs with out being brittle. There will always be a pioneer out there, but the tamers are junk! They throw studs, leak air, vibrate like mad, and just never hold up very long. F the tamers.

ice3.jpg

ice2.jpg

ice.jpg

Those are pretty cool for a play setup. I bet they hold up decent. I would love a set to put on when we are just goofing off so I don't have to beat on my good race tires and studs.

• 1 month later...

k your quad looks great but it kills me to see the studs siting on the pavement like that.you should have it on wood or even a rubber mat.alot of guys say it dont matter but you can only imagine what the little rocks do to that sharpen edge of the screw.the more you protect those screws the longer thay will last and give you ultimite traction

those fronts are called sand star duel ribs.the ones in the pic are 19inch fronts.if you go to youtube and look up sturbridge ice races the is multiple vids of mthose tires.thats what i ran on my trx 450r.lets see if this works

these are some of my races from last year

wow nice vids.looks like fun lol.

Do all of them use the sand tires on those vids?

And if you drive hard in the corners the front dont slide out?i mean you got to work real hard to push it around without sliding out to much?