Ice racing setup & stud pattern

04Banshee

Im looking for the best stud pattern for all around ice racing. I just bought a set of 18" Cheng Shin for the rear and 19" Razr MX for the front.

Ill be using Kold Kutter screws, but whats the biggest screw I can use that wont go through the tire?

For the pattern I was thinking just one screw per knob for the rear? Im not sure how crazy to go on the fronts. Maybe 3 rows with one screw in each knob.

On my old banshee i used holeshot xcr and studded every knob front and rear and they worked well.

Any help is appreciated. thanks.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I have seen people use 2 kutters per knob, but they were all having trouble with the rear shock and using the extra cutters as a band aid. Not to mention you would be shelling out about $140 bucks for two bags of studs and that is another couple pounds of hard ware in the tires. Just go with one per knob and see if you can get it dialed. Run the 1 inch kutter as well. They will stay in and hold alot better then the shorter styles. When you install them, air the tire up till it is balooning like an oval. This will stretch the rubber so that when it is fully studded you can let the pressure out and the rubber will collapse and almost hug the threads tighter. If the bike is for left and right turns vary the cut on the head on every other stud.( ie. One going from 10 o' clock to 4 o' clock. The next 2 o' clock to 7 o' clock) For a bike running just left handed ovals, just put them all in the 10-4 o' clock position. Also if your tires happen to leak, just get them in front of a heater and put some tire slime in them. Try to do just a little amount if neccasary. Mine never leaked though. Just lemme know if you need more info for the set up.

I woudnt run a cheng shin tire EVER for anything

Ill let this do my talking.

GEDC0119.jpg

Man nos, that sure is a pretty big stud, they wont let us run anything over the standard gold pro or kold kutter. Not even the famed kanadien or MF44's. Lmao : )

Those hoosiers are pretty rad for moto x and I expect them to start coming on strong like the maxxis tires did a few years back. How do they hold the stud in the tire under say.........80mph out on the lake? The tamers used to be the claim to fame but us lake racers who get up to higher speeds tend to throw even one inch studs out of them and the shins seem to be the only tire to keep them in and seated. I think the 20 inch shins I use have a pretty good side wall as well. Just enough wrinkle for hook and yet it is firm enough to carve turns.

Your set up definitely works, just not convinced that the soft moto tires would hold up out on the higher speed full power stuff. Never saw a hole shot or razr tire that won't chuck studs on a full power high speed straight and then loose knobs in 50mph turns. Touche' on the brutal dream crushing last season by the way nos.

For the front you will always get a different answer. The key to getting the right set up is usually trial and error. I just cheated and started to call every PRO ice tire builder I could find. The biggest and most noted name I got was Marcel Fournier. He is a Canadien beast! Built more tires then almost any one. Typically he runs Bandit Pure Sports for the front and fortunately for me I had a full set laying around. They are a nice wide flat surface wich puts more stud on the ice. Just like a road race car, the larger the tire surface the better the traction. I have tried alot of front set ups now and honestly the bandit is the best for the monster ovals with fast speeds. They really let you point the bike and pull the direction you aim for. The indoor stuff is alot slower so you really can keep the stud count down up front wich is awesome on the wallet and weight. For studding I have 3 studs in each lug as well as 2 on each small side lug. I would post pix but I can't get photobucket to work with my phone. Pm me and gimme a number and I will text ya some pix if you want.

I by no means would consider myself an expert on ice. Just show you what worked for me, But then again, it was my first time out and things went really good. So eather im dam luicky at the setup or im dam good rider. each way, Im here to help people out, Show and tell everyone what has worked for me to try and get more banshees out racing and winning.

Here is my front setup

GEDC0357.jpg

I by no means would consider myself an expert on ice. Just show you what worked for me, But then again, it was my first time out and things went really good. So eather im dam luicky at the setup or im dam good rider. each way, Im here to help people out, Show and tell everyone what has worked for me to try and get more banshees out racing and winning.

Here is my front setup

GEDC0357.jpg

Pssssshhhh.......... Man, you know it's both! You have problably turned more left handers then anyone else on here. That front tire definitely looks spot on.

Oh, I love watching that video where you just slam the door on all those 4 pokers. Then on the next one that asshole lines up sideways and thinks he has your number and you still slay the holeshot!

You gotta try and get out on some open lakes this year. The small track is cool, but there is just nothing like the wide open 3rd n' 4th gear turns on ice. Plus it sounds like your bike is just hitting hard right when it is time to pull the clutch in.