Do it yourself powder coating

Judge1

Has anyone tried the powder coating kits that can be purchased for $130-$200? They seem to be a good product for small parts I just don't have any experience with them. The kits come with the gun, plugs, wire, tape, the converter box and you can choose from 50 or so colors. Would a wally world toaster oven work for baking small parts? If these work I could do my own parts for fraction of the price!!! Any thoughts would be helpful.

My link

I small oven would work,but you would be limited to part size.

As for the spray kits,just make sure you buy a good gun,the cheap ones waste too much powder and powder is not cheap.

I have heard good things about hot coat.....its all about application..if you do it right you get good results....I would recommend a full oven though..a toaster oven will not fit anything.....a small oven can fit swingers, wheels, handlbars...etc.....

Harbour freight sells powder coat ovens reasonably priced....results are great..my friend did a john deere gator with it and looks nice!

powder is easy and fun to play with BUT the PREP is a bitch you have to treat the parts like if you were going to paint them that is strip clean clean clean and rember that part is going to be heated to over 400 degree's so no rubber old solvent oil's in the alluminum etc etc. i have used a few of the cheapo guns there is a nice cheaper gun available now that sprays like a expensive gun i think powder by the pound sells it? icannot rember those smaller guns struggle to do more than 2 coats. powder is actually plastic and its hard to remove and that is its hard to remove from threads, bearing surfaces, places you DONT want it are very importanat to not have it in.

an ELECTRIC oven works well you acn even build a small rack to hang the parts from and then just slip it into the oven

powder is fun to play with but like anything its takes a bit to really get it figured out.

Would a wally world toaster oven work for baking small parts? If these work I could do my own parts for fraction of the price!!

I wouldnt use the toaster oven because the temp wont be precise.

And you could use this for your own parts and save money.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ya them Harbour freight and like ovens are expensive for the size oven you get. I used my toaster oven when I got my first eastwood gun. It worked but I was limited on part sizes. It worked real well for learning purposes but yes it is all in the prep you do first.

time is money... to be applied correctly .. i believe items should be blasted with aluminum oxide first... then sprayed..... just my 02...(opinion)

• 1 month later...

I do my own powder coating on parts that will fit in a house electric oven. And craigslist is a good place to find a good cheap oven. Around $50 or so. I built a nice little rack from rerod. I just powder coated my banshee nerf bars with harbor freight mate black and it looks good. But check out powder by the pound .com. A lot of awesome colors there.

• 4 weeks later...

I just completed my little pc setup.....gun from Harbor freight....85 bucks..came with a few pounds of powder....sand blasting cabinet $100 bucks.....$40 for an oven....and $30 for the 220 outlet. Ive already pced enough parts to make it worth it. I started off using a toaster oven and had zero problems....

• 1 year later...

this was my set up

craigslist curb alert= electric household oven= free

craftsman kit= 200.00

sand blaster= harbor frieght 200.00

It worked fine. Not showroom but good enough for me.

I did a-arms. swing arms, rims, alot of small parts.

Do alot of research on prep. that is what makes it stick on good. and proper heat range.

Give it a shot it is fun and you can say you did it yourself.

• 2 weeks later...