To Cub, or not to Cub?

Hey guys, I have the mods below and love the power of my 4 mil, However, I am considering a cub. My questions are

1. Will there be a noticeable increase in fuel consumption? I am already close to the edge of my range when I make my usual round trip from Egin to Choke Cherry and back.

2. Will the cub's power not be dunner friendly? (all top end, no mid)

3. Will I sacrifice any reliability, or increase the amount of time spent tuning or wrenching?

4. Will I have a hard time shifting with my stock tranny?

5. Will the power make me forget all these questions?

i'd go with 5.

i never had dependability issues, fuel consumption was minimal for the power output, my trans was brand new so i had no issues, but our other bike which was a old bike didn't like high rev shifts, i dunned my bike and trialed it with no issues.

Hey guys, I have the mods below and love the power of my 4 mil, However, I am considering a cub. My questions are

1. Will there be a noticeable increase in fuel consumption? I am already close to the edge of my range when I make my usual round trip from Egin to Choke Cherry and back.

3. Will I sacrifice any reliability, or increase the amount of time spent tuning or wrenching?

IMO pipes would be a better investment.

If you are concerned about midI bet you would be thrilled selling your t-5's and getting the cpi small bore inframe. If you go cub you will be choking it down with those pipes anyway

I'd rather have a fast stock cyl than a slow cub

My.02

Edited by SLORYDER

1. Will there be a noticeable increase in fuel consumption? I am already close to the edge of my range when I make my usual round trip from Egin to Choke Cherry and back. I don't think that will change much at all.

2. Will the cub's power not be dunner friendly? (all top end, no mid)IMO not nearly as friendly as your engine now

3. Will I sacrifice any reliability, or increase the amount of time spent tuning or wrenching?It shouldn't be any less reliable then what you have now

4. Will I have a hard time shifting with my stock tranny?You may have some issues in the high RPM's

5. Will the power make me forget all these questions?Do black people like fried chicken?

Edited by Titan up

I noticed an increase in fuel consumption, especially hill-shooting. I use about 8-10 gallons a day when duning and hill-shooting. It is reasonable on gas when just dune riding.

I dune mine all the time, even with a duneable override. As mentioned, cubs shine in the dunes.

Hours and hours of time on mine, no less reliable. On gas, I tweek it now and then, make adjustments for big temperature and elevation changes, but overall it is just like a regular two-stroke.

Hit and miss. Mine shifted great until I installed straight-cut gears shortly after building it. After installing the gears, it would not shift into 4th on the hill under power. On flat ground it was fine. I installed a duneable override, for power is useless without 4th and 5th gears. Others seem to have no trouble at all, and some cannot shift under any power...

I absolutely LOVE the power!

Bottom line, there will be a few trade-offs. I really like having a cub, but I also like to take my trusty old dinosaur ATC-R to the dunes to rip around on. I have actually learned to appreciate my R even more now that I have a cub. Two completely different riding experiences, obviously. I would not go back to a regular banshee after doing a cub upgrade (assuming I could only have one Banshee). It really depends on what you want to do...

I was able to ride one before I did mine, so that made the decision a no-brainer for me, LOL. I was hooked...

Your going to need to upgrade a few things. The transmission is probably going to be the first thing you will need to upgrade. You will need a duneable, no questions asked. You will also probably want to run a lockout. 35mm carbs, Rockets or R2s and a good port job. What is your ultimate goal? Are you just wanting a bit more topend or are you wanting to drag? If you got the cash, I would just sell off everything you have and build a 10mil!

IMO pipes would be a better investment.

If you are concerned about midI bet you would be thrilled selling your t-5's and getting the cpi small bore inframe. If you go cub you will be choking it down with those pipes anyway

I'd rather have a fast stock cyl than a slow cub

My.02

I have CPIs now, just have not updated my sig, but good advice none the less.

Your going to need to upgrade a few things. The transmission is probably going to be the first thing you will need to upgrade. You will need a duneable, no questions asked. You will also probably want to run a lockout. 35mm carbs, Rockets or R2s and a good port job. What is your ultimate goal? Are you just wanting a bit more topend or are you wanting to drag? If you got the cash, I would just sell off everything you have and build a 10mil!

My goal is to have have an engine that seems to have no end when ripping through the massive bowls at St. Anthony, and dominates everything at choke except the purpose built drag raptor on nitrous or turbo or both. Right now money is an issue, and since I already have the 4mil bottom end it seemed like the right direction.

Great input so far from everyone.

1. Will there be a noticeable increase in fuel consumption? I am already close to the edge of my range when I make my usual round trip from Egin to Choke Cherry and back. I don't think that will change much at all.

2. Will the cub's power not be dunner friendly? (all top end, no mid)IMO not nearly as friendly as your engine now

3. Will I sacrifice any reliability, or increase the amount of time spent tuning or wrenching?It shouldn't be any less reliable then what you have now

4. Will I have a hard time shifting with my stock tranny?You may have some issues in the high RPM's

5. Will the power make me forget all these questions?Do black people like fried chicken?

Titan, is that a 4 inch swinger on you're cub? Love you're answer to 5!

Titan, is that a 4 inch swinger on you're cub? Love you're answer to 5!

Yep +4. If you do decide on the cub, I recommend not having it ported any further....Just a casting clean-up will do.

In my experience, after I got mine drag ported, it seemed to narrow and move the power band up higher. Not real favorable on a duner IMO.

I had my 4mil cub decked and ported,it gave it 7 more pounds of torque and only dropped peak 3hp and gave it alot broader power range.Did not fall out of the pipe near as easy as it did before and ran alot faster 60ft times.4.17 300ft 240lb rider with a non lightend stock frame.