wtf is a lockout?

It's late, I'm bored and I'm fuckin wasted, but I'd like to know why 90% of our members like to refer to them as "lockouts"

Can someone explain to me what is actually being locked out?

Please discuss while I go tighten my chain.

Edited by Titan up

I call it a lock up. It locks the clutch up so there is no slippage. There are 2 styles. The direct drive style has fingers with weights on the end. As you gain speed the fingers fling out and put more pressure on the pressure plate.

The other style is a sling shot. It uses ball bearings. There are ramps machined in to one half of the lock up. As you gain speed the ball bearings are forced out in to a pinch point. This causes the lock up to expand putting more pressure on the clutch pack.

Just what he said. Its a mechanical device that uses centrifugal force to put pressure on the pressure plate or actually is the pressure plate and as rpms increase it puts a lot of pressure on the clutch to keep it from slipping. You can use normal springs or HD ones. The sligshot I know has held 170 hp. It also makes a clutch last longer on a high hp bike.

I call it a lock-in because it locks in the clutch plates.

Yeah there ya go, a lock-in. I can definetly see why you would call it that, because thats exactly whats it's doing, locking in the plates.

I would definitely rather refer to them as lock-ins as opposed to lock-outs. I prefer to call them a lock-up though.

lock-up: locks up the clutch plates, ok

lock-in: locks in the clutch plates, ok

lock-out: locks out the clutch plates??, wtf.

Guys, I was just havin some fun with this thread.. I know what a lock-up is.. To me, it just sounds funny to call it a "lock-out". I think it's supposed to be called a lock-up, but call it what you want, I think we all know that we're talking about the same thing. :cheers:

btw I run a Sling Shot lock-out on my bike :D

Oh great Tyler don't tell me you call carbs "strap-ons" cuz the metal strap we call a clamp holds em on. Lol

Yes you can get a Gigot performance slingshot lockup that fits under the stock cover.

wtf! no dummy, carbs are called flow-throughs! because the air flows through them. simple really.

A LOCK-UP is that device you need to plant all that power to the ground.......

A LOCK-OUT is what happens when the wife finds out how much $$$ you spent on that Lock-up.

:rotflmao::jesterlaugh:B)

And it's a lock-up!!! Even if direct drive calls them lock-out's in there adds.

Your automotive electronic shifted overdrive tranny's can be the lock-up converter style and if you modd them to not lock-up it is sometimes refered to as a lock-out......

But the ATV part we are talking about is a LOCK-UP! If you call it a lock-out.....than that's what will happen to you in the trophy presentation.....You'll find yourself, Locked out. :cry::lol: