Banshee reliability ( Be honest guys)

troyzstang

Like the title says

Honestly how reliable are the Banshees.

I've owned way to many two stroke bikes. Mostly dirtbikes and about a half a dozen Blasters.

Don't get me wrong I am sold out on the two-stroke machines, but it seems like there's a lot of constant repairs posted here.

Am I wrong in pointing this out. My Banshee is now complete but I'm almost scared to enjoy it for fear of the thing blowing up; because they seem fragile.

Please share your expert opinion.

Thanks Guys

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is been discussed thousands of times.

So many people out there, especially die hard 4stroke guys think that banshee's are not reliable and just a big old tool box.

I could go on and on with this discussion, bc i take care of all my shit and always have problems. BUT i also have a brand new 450 that I have had problems with.

But lets not talk about me bc my luck just sucks...lol :cry::cry:

Anyways, as long as you take care of your bike and keep it fairly simple, perform all the normal maintance, keep your airfilters CLEAN and dry,jetted correctly a banshee will last you years.

Before I started modded the shit out of my bike, I had 4yrs of abuse on a stock top end.

Seemed like it would just run forever, from my experience, the more you mess with them and try and get them perfect, the more problems seem to occur.

I have seen so many people totally neglect there bikes and they will run and run and run and run all day long.

If you assembled your motor correctly and its dialed in well and its all good and tight, ride it, enjoy it and when something breaks just fix it.

what's done to your bike and what type of riding do you do???

Like the title says

Honestly how reliable are the Banshees.

I've owned way to many two stroke bikes. Mostly dirtbikes and about a half a dozen Blasters.

Don't get me wrong I am sold out on the two-stroke machines, but it seems like there's a lot of constant repairs posted here.

Am I wrong in pointing this out. My Banshee is now complete but I'm almost scared to enjoy it for fear of the thing blowing up; because they seem fragile.

Please share your expert opinion.

Thanks Guys

Depends on the year. I bought a 1990 Banshee with J arms last september, and the stock lower J arm just snapped. Now im selling it for a dirtbike. If your buying an older banshee be ready to replace shit.

This is been discussed thousands of times.

So many people out there, especially die hard 4stroke guys think that banshee's are not reliable and just a big old tool box.

I could go on and on with this discussion, bc i take care of all my shit and always have problems. BUT i also have a brand new 450 that I have had problems with.

But lets not talk about me bc my luck just sucks...lol :cry::cry:

Anyways, as long as you take care of your bike and keep it fairly simple, perform all the normal maintance, keep your airfilters CLEAN and dry,jetted correctly a banshee will last you years.

Before I started modded the shit out of my bike, I had 4yrs of abuse on a stock top end.

Seemed like it would just run forever, from my experience, the more you mess with them and try and get them perfect, the more problems seem to occur.

I have seen so many people totally neglect there bikes and they will run and run and run and run all day long.

If you assembled your motor correctly and its dialed in well and its all good and tight, ride it, enjoy it and when something breaks just fix it.

what's done to your bike and what type of riding do you do???

Thanks for your reply.

I have a 2001 with a Pro design cool head and stage 4 - 2 into 1 set up with a 35mm Keihin carb & pod filter.

In frame pipes & stingers. I am mostly just an ocassional rider simply because I am blessed with to many toys. ( ski boat, jet skis , street bikes) and I'm getting to old to tear my body up. And a little chicken shit. I guess common sense has overtaken my need for speed. banghead

Anyway The bike is sound and I'll shoot a few pics tommorow for your review.

Thanks again

Troy

It all depends on how it is taken care of. I currently have 7 years on my topend and it has only lost 10psi of compression. As long as you build it right the first time, perform regular maintenance properly, use good oil and other products, clean and inspect it after every ride it will last a long time without problems. You might have to do a topend more often on a 2 stroke than a 4 stroke, but in the long run I think a 2 stroke is still less expensive because you dont have to mess around with a valve job or timing chain.

It's relative to maintenance, tuning, and power out put. A top fuel rail/funnycar only runs 4seconds (+ burn out) and they tear it down. My son's shee is an 87, first overbore and different crank (4mil) still had stock pipes. Imagine the stories it could tell after 23 yrs of use and abuse !! Does anbody think a 07 YFZ will be around in 2030?

Honestly, if you get them dialed in they will just keep going just as anything. I think that its more user error than anything that causes two strokes to go down, at least thats my experience. Ive been abusing my blaster for quite some time on the same top end and it is doing good. My friend has never replaced the top end in his banshee and hes had it for about 7 years. Granted, he probably only rides it for a total of about 15 hours or so each year, but still. And even if something is old, it depends on what has been replaced on it and what is a common part that fails after a lot of riding. A two stroke can definitely run as long as a four stroke without breaking down, but when comparing the two, you have to take out human error also, which is nearly impossible. Just my .02

It's relative to maintenance, tuning, and power out put. A top fuel rail/funnycar only runs 4seconds (+ burn out) and they tear it down. My son's shee is an 87, first overbore and different crank (4mil) still had stock pipes. Imagine the stories it could tell after 23 yrs of use and abuse !! Does anbody think a 07 YFZ will be around in 2030?

See

That's what I want to here :notworthy:

Thanks

banshee need to be torn down everyweekend that they are used..

you cn not store gas in them for longer then 28hrs

they need a top end every 30 hours or every 3months which ever is first

you must love tools because you will be wrenching more then riding

there the secret is out

My friend has a 98 with fattys still on the stock pistons and bore,he's like 170lbs,runs 20 inch bandits with stock gearing and specializes in 3rd and 4th gear burnouts in the street.my other friends 01 has stock bore/piston also and he rides it hard.It all comes down to how well the bike is put together and maintained like it was already said

I got my first banshee when I turned 16. It was a '99 that a friend had that didn't get used or maintained at all. After changing the fluids, air filter, cleaning out the carbs, and lubing everything, it lasted me until my little brother crashed it in 2003. After getting it back together in January it ran great. I'm finally replacing the clutch.

The biggest problem I've had so far has to do with messing with the lower end, but you rarely have to do that unless you're modding something.

but it seems like there's a lot of constant repairs posted here.

This web site also has 20,000 members. There is usually some one fixing something. Your banshee is only as reliable as you make it. Not only doing good maintnence but also using quality parts when parts needed replacing. You cant run a top end in to the ground then be surprised when it shoots a rod through the cases.

Thanks for your reply.

I have a 2001 with a Pro design cool head and stage 4 - 2 into 1 set up with a 35mm Keihin carb & pod filter.

In frame pipes & stingers. I am mostly just an ocassional rider simply because I am blessed with to many toys. ( ski boat, jet skis , street bikes) and I'm getting to old to tear my body up. And a little chicken shit. I guess common sense has overtaken my need for speed. banghead

Anyway The bike is sound and I'll shoot a few pics tommorow for your review.

Thanks again

Troy

Here's a few pics of my newest toy :cheers:

I picked it up for $1,400 and just cleaned and redid the frame blue and new graphics package.

banshee218.jpg

banshee220.jpg

banshee224.jpg

nice bike for 1400. also u get what YOU put into it not the last person. i paid 1200 for my bike and it was a mess but it ran strong for 3 years now i did a rebuild. now its no wherenear perfect but the things that need replaced i replaced, check the bike after every ride . its normal stuff u wannado to any bike that you want to last for a long time. so abuse it if you want just when your done check her over to make sure she is ok for the next ride.