Banshee reliability ( Be honest guys)

troyzstang

Thanks for all the replys guys.

My frame is Patriot Blue paint ( wal mart)

Like most of the members here I too keep up with cleaning and maintenance. I'm lucky enough to have a nice set up in my garage that allows me to work on my toys. I also do a lot of buy & sell flips with ATV's and dirt bikes. It's a hobby with benefits.

Here's one of my past projects.

Before

2003yz125005.jpg

After

035.jpg

You mean rattlecan spray paint? I've been wanting to do mine blue on white kinda like yours.

How does it hold up?

Edited by bansheerider999

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then you better find a more qualified mechanic. I have 7 years on my topend, 10+ years on my crank, my clutch is 15+ years old and my bike is over 20 years old. I never have problems with it on a day trip, and I very rarely have problems when we go for a weekend or longer, knock on wood. My bike is stored with fuel in it( with Stabil in it) because we never know when the next riding trip is, it could be in a wek or it could be in 2 months, it just depends on weather and schedules. Anything that is mechanical can break at any time, but if you build it right and stay on top of your maintenance, you should have a reliable bike.Doing things correctly goes a long way in reliability, for instance, when you need to replace a case you need to replace them as a set and not just one half- this might cause other problems down the road that will have you scratching your head. Yamah only sells them as a set for a reason- that is the way they were machined.

I forgot to mention that my bike is an 89 that I bought brand new in 89 and it has been well taken care of ever since.

i think ypur just lucky.. wanna take a look at my shitbox

Maybe you need to strip it down and carefully put it back together replacing anything bad. A shit box can turn in to a gem

I'm gonna chime in with my .02

I bought my shee second hand, its a 1987 model and it was in very sad shape all over, the plastics were rough, the engine looked rougher.. Still had TORS system,

Didn't know they used the TORS in 87, learn something new every day.

i think ypur just lucky.. wanna take a look at my shitbox

I am responsible for the mainteneance and repair of a total of 6 Banshees and 1 Blaster that are ridden in the dunes exclusiely, $ of the Banshees and the Blaster where bought new by their owners. Very rarely do any of them ever breakdown. So, am I the exception 7 times. There are multiple posters on here that are saying the same thing I am, that if it is put together correctly and properly maintained, it will be a reliable machine. If I was to look at your "shitbox" as you say, you would have to fix EVERYTHING I say and the way I say using the parts I want used. I have been playing with Banshees for 20+ years and I think it is the best ATV on earth for riding sand, but it is not the best machine for everybody. If you are so down on your Banshee, maybe it is not the ride for you.

Oh yeah, every Banshee and Blaster ever made had a TORS on it. And every Banshee made from 1997 on has a park brake rev limiter also.

Edited by bansheesandrider

Look if you took a stock new Banshee and just rode it without mods... As long as you took decent care of it the thing would last longer than you own it for. Same goes for most 4-strokes. If you beat on it and don't do any maintenance or tuning it WIll break down on you eventually. The Banshees are simply high-preformance machines out of the box. Anything that performs like that has to be taken care of accordingly.

buying a brand new banshee in 04, while my friends bought brand new yfz and raptors, my banshee proved time and time again, to be more reliable. ive towed both their bikes home, many times. (the craptor more), the only time my banshee has been towed home was 1. throttle cable snapped, 2. rear wheel came off axle and passed me on the trail. :)

banshees are bulletproof, just dont bastardize it or buy it off some long haired freak that doesnt own any metric tools.

banshees are bulletproof, just dont bastardize it or buy it off some long haired freak that doesnt own any metric tools.

or some punk hillbilly douchebag kids that live in some kentucky backwoods.

all my banshees have been very reliable. the only problems i have had have been user error.

It all depends on how it is taken care of. I currently have 7 years on my topend and it has only lost 10psi of compression. As long as you build it right the first time, perform regular maintenance properly, use good oil and other products, clean and inspect it after every ride it will last a long time without problems. You might have to do a topend more often on a 2 stroke than a 4 stroke, but in the long run I think a 2 stroke is still less expensive because you dont have to mess around with a valve job or timing chain.

A buddy just bought a $12000 KTM 450, and they tol;d him right up front that it will need a new top end every 40 - 60 hours at the dealership

I take everything a dealerships says with a grain of salt. Most dealerships make their money in the service and parts depts. Yamaha recomends that that brake hydraulic parts of a Banshee be rebuilt every 2 years, I have never done my fronts, and have only rebuilt the rear caliper once on the 89 that I bought new. It even has the original pads in the front because you don't use front brakes in the sand much.I used to work for a forklift dealership and there were many times that we sold a brand new truck at cost just because we knew we would make money selling them part and service.

a friend of ours bought one of those fancy ktms, other than little stuff breaking like the cute hydraulic clutch within the first few weeks, the thing was blowing purple smoke within 3-4 months. havnt seen that guy in probably a year now, probably had to rebuild it within the first year, not saying they are all liek that, but what a dissappointment.. i remeber when his hydraulic clutch broke, if only he had an old steel cable, lol