first ride of the year could've gone better

The local trails opened yesterday, and my riding partner and myself got out today for a few hours. Beautiful weather, machines running great, and about 4 hours into the ride he pulls the bonehead move of all time. He pulled out his camera and started taking video while he was riding. He's done this before, so I wasn't too worried, but while we were on the road between trails, he decided he wanted video of his quad riderless. He swung his leg over and stood up both feet on the right footpeg, leaned out, and started taking video of his quad instead of paying attention to the road(driving with 1 hand, camera in the other).

It took less than 30 seconds for him to creep toward the ditch, and when he realized it and jerked away, he fell/jumped off, hit the ground running in the ditch (about 25mph), fell headfirst and rolled, and landed like a pretzel. I checked him out, got his quad out of the ditch and running (kickstarting a 450r that isn't jetted right is a bitch), and we limped our way back to the trailer, loaded, and got him to the hospital. He didn't look to bad...some road rash, torn pants, and maybe some bruised ribs...but it was almost 2 hours from the crash until he got to the ER, and he was going into shock by then.

There were some cut 1" trees in the ditchline about 12-18 inches long, and he thought he missed them...he didn't. Internal bleeding, puncture in his kidney, and a "flight for life" trip to a trauma center about 50 miles away. They say he's going to be fine, but any wellwishes or good thoughts would be appreciated. One bonehead move, and him and his family are going to have some problems for a while....kinda sucks. After watching him crash though, I can guarantee that his helmet saved his life, so there's something to be thankful for.

(p.s. when he gets the video uploaded, I'll get a link to it here)

Good luck to your friend. I hope he pulls through. And just curious, how do you "fracture" your kidney?

Think he said puncture, unless he edited it. Sounds like a gnarly crash. I hate paying a toll when you're doing something stupid. Hope he feels better.

I'm not sure how you fracture a kidney...but that's what the doctors told his fiance right before they took him into surgery....they were saying puncture before that.

He actually asked to go to the ER....said he wanted them to give him some vicodin...I actually didn't think it was that bad until he started shaking when we got close to town.

final update...he ripped his right kidney in half and lost 3 pints of blood before the surgery, but didn't puncture the skin. They took the kidney out, and they are keeping him for 5ish days for recovery and because they are worried about his liver...they think it's fine, but it's very close to where there was some major damage. He's out of the woods, but it's gonna be a long recovery.

Edited by Thumper7999