gearing questions

bp12

If you go bigger on the back sprocket then it will gear you lower and give you more bottom end grunt,if you go bigger on the front sprocket it will gear you higher and you will lose on the bottom and gain on the top. Adding or subtracting one tooth on the front is like adding or subtracting three in the back.

If you go bigger on the back sprocket then it will gear you lower and give you more bottom end grunt,if you go bigger on the front sprocket it will gear you higher and you will lose on the bottom and gain on the top. Adding or subtracting one tooth on the front is like adding or subtracting three in the back.

so im lil confused do i subtract links ? im running 14 and 41 right now so 40 will give me more bottom eh not more top end?

it will give you more speed in each gear, just read firebanshees post a few times until it sinks in lol

you shouldn't have to take links out to drop just one tooth on the rear

also changing gearing doesn't change the characteristics of the power delivery as in topend vs lowend power it's more acceleration vs speed

so im lil confused do i subtract links ? im running 14 and 41 right now so 40 will give me more bottom eh not more top end?

Going to 40 in back will give you a tad more top end speed.

I use 13-42 gearing with 22" rear tires, 14-41 (stock) with 20" rear tires and 15-40 with my 18" asphalt tires.

-Pasi S.

Going to 40 in back will give you a tad more top end speed.

I use 13-42 gearing with 22" rear tires, 14-41 (stock) with 20" rear tires and 15-40 with my 18" asphalt tires.

-Pasi S.

I'm running 22's also. How is the 13-42 gearing. What type of riding you doing. And to this topic. Higher on the rear more lowend power. If you gear down on the front sprocket more lowend power. If you gear up on the front sprocket more top end power.

If you are just going to change your rear sprocket 1 tooth I would not even do it. It only changes your top speed not even 2 mph which you probably would not even be able to tell. If you are going to change it your gearing in the back change it at least 2-3 teeth or change 1 in the front.

If you are just going to change your rear sprocket 1 tooth I would not even do it. It only changes your top speed not even 2 mph which you probably would not even be able to tell. If you are going to change it your gearing in the back change it at least 2-3 teeth or change 1 in the front.

thanks all i stayed with 14-41 it seems to do fine

Think of it like a 10 speed bike, When you are in 1'st (Smallest Front Sprocket, Largest Rear) it is all torque. Then as you go up in gears smaller on the rear sprocket it gets harder to pedal but your topend goes up. Then when you go to the next Larger front sprocket you gain even more topend, but you lose lowend as you are making these gear changes.