YFZ 450 shocks/arms are worth it?

Wi-shee

you should search the suspension forum, that question has replaced the boost bottle threads for the most asked

and there are some detailed comparisons with pictures in there, the top pinned one is a pretty good one too

you should search the suspension forum, that question has replaced the boost bottle threads for the most asked

and there are some detailed comparisons with pictures in there, the top pinned one is a pretty good one too

yes I know, I searched and read some threads but I don't know if the width in the front is even with the rear section, or if the setup, when finished, does not need vertical alignment, that sort of details I am trying to find...

• 2 months later...

I disagree, I recently did the conversion and love it. It works out to be closer to +3 than +2 with no movement forward. I never thought a Banshee was worth a crap for jumping until I did my conversion. I ended up with about 250 in my front end and I feel that it is worth every penny. I ride mostly tight trails and small jumps (20 foot gaps or less) and it works perfect. Only downside to the conversion is it lowers the front end about 1 inch(depending on your preload).

I disagree, I recently did the conversion and love it. It works out to be closer to +3 than +2 with no movement forward. I never thought a Banshee was worth a crap for jumping until I did my conversion. I ended up with about 250 in my front end and I feel that it is worth every penny. I ride mostly tight trails and small jumps (20 foot gaps or less) and it works perfect. Only downside to the conversion is it lowers the front end about 1 inch(depending on your preload).

It has been said many many times in this forum that a Banshee Specific front end is hands down better. But if you can spend around 200 - 250 for a complete YFZ front end that it is a big improvement over stock.

i wouldnt waste my time and money tracking down all the parts, hacking them up to make them fit, tearing off the old stuff, putting on the hick rigged stuff, only to have a front end that doesnt work very good and is outperformed by some used works you can buy for a dime a dozen , same with used +2's for a banshee, you can find em all the time for a great price, and you dont even have to take a grinder to them!

.then of course the front nose of the frame will be down in the dirt after with the yfz conversion, no way it lowers it only an inch, its more than that. preload cranked up or not, those front ends are low, sure its better than stock, by a bit, but that said, the money youll spend, and the time youll spend wrenching and butchering 450 parts to fit, youd be better off buying banshee specific parts and doing it right, once.

i wouldnt waste my time and money tracking down all the parts, hacking them up to make them fit, tearing off the old stuff, putting on the hick rigged stuff, only to have a front end that doesnt work very good and is outperformed by some used works you can buy for a dime a dozen , same with used +2's for a banshee, you can find em all the time for a great price, and you dont even have to take a grinder to them!

.then of course the front nose of the frame will be down in the dirt after with the yfz conversion, no way it lowers it only an inch, its more than that. preload cranked up or not, those front ends are low, sure its better than stock, by a bit, but that said, the money youll spend, and the time youll spend wrenching and butchering 450 parts to fit, youd be better off buying banshee specific parts and doing it right, once.

I take it you have never have done the conversion. I am sure that a good set of banshee arms would be better but there is nothing wrong with the YFZ conversion. I did before and after measurements and I found that I lost 1 inch clearance. If you think that doing the YZF conversion is to much work then you have never tried it. If you take your time it takes about 2 or 3 hours. Not much time to "butcher 450 parts"

the yfz450 frame is dramatically different then a banshee. completely different camber / caster, and leverage ratios on the shocks. I cant imagine that front end handles better then a +2 banshee setup with some yfz shocks.

seems like it would have horrible bump steer, and looks like the camber is way off. with no way to adjust it.

the yfz450 frame is dramatically different then a banshee. completely different camber / caster, and leverage ratios on the shocks. I cant imagine that front end handles better then a +2 banshee setup with some yfz shocks.

seems like it would have horrible bump steer, and looks like the camber is way off. with no way to adjust it.

You are 100% correct.

hey, i have a 93 banshee with yfz450 front shocks with stock banshee a arms (previous owner converted it), and it handles amazing, in fact its so good it makes you notice how bad the stock rear shock really is. the guy i got it from also gave me yfz450 a arms and told me he tried them with it and it sat like 4 inches off the ground, so that could be a cost effective solution for a budget drag racer, but not for a woods or mx bike.

You are 100% correct.

Thank You... Come Again!!!

Why are you wanting to add parts from another bike just to make it some what handle better. That of which are not sent for the correct center of gravity. And just as Sandjragon said,"Major F-up waiting"

The old will lead the young

I take it you have never have done the conversion. I am sure that a good set of banshee arms would be better but there is nothing wrong with the YFZ conversion. I did before and after measurements and I found that I lost 1 inch clearance. If you think that doing the YZF conversion is to much work then you have never tried it. If you take your time it takes about 2 or 3 hours. Not much time to "butcher 450 parts"

And yes I have ride'n a bike that has the conversion done and doesn not come close to the +2+1 arms that are made for the bike. I might as well just mod the frame for some forks and make it the good old 3 wheeler.:yank:

Im guessing you have never riden a quad/bike that is really set up for a person. 90% of people dont know how to properly set the suspension for them.

Edited by GrMeyer

And yes I have ride'n a bike that has the conversion done and doesn not come close to the +2+1 arms that are made for the bike. I might as well just mod the frame for some forks and make it the good old 3 wheeler.:yank:

Im guessing you have never riden a quad/bike that is really set up for a person. 90% of people dont know how to properly set the suspension for them.

hey, why are you bashing three wheelers, those things are fun in the right hands...