What weight of oil for motor/trans

I have used gear oil/ motor oil and atf type f. I have been using type f for about three years now and just got done rebuilding my motor to put a new crank in. Everything looked new. I change it often because there is no filter. I just buy the cheapest stuff I can find. Others will say to use other oils. But it all comes down to what you want to use. And what your pocket can afford. Just my .02 But what have you been running? Because if you change. You will need to drain. Run the new oil for a ride. Then drain again and refill to get all the old stuff out.

i was using some shit that used to give me at the local bike shop, but now they shut down, Theres nothing in the trans or motor, i just put in a new crank in today, so i had the cases split and everything was cleaned, so you think trans fluid works good, because some friends were sayin that they use 10/30 motor oil, but i just wanna get a second opinion on what every 1 likes to use

I run Klotz Flex Drive 30, part # KL506. Been using it for 15+ years and I have had no problems- no clutch balls welded to the pushrod, zero wear on gears, bearings and clutch and the bike shifts better than it did with ATF,motor oil, Honda or BelRay gear oil. It is not cheap oil, bot I figure that expensive oil is still cheaper than gears and bearings.

ive ran bellray 80w for a year took the cases apart to put in a moded trany everything looked great that seemed to do a good job. recently I have been running b&m trickshift

best ones in my experience are bellray 80w, or maxima 80w or any of those "80w" oils... they are made with identical standards to fit that of the banshee... or just use any type of of 10w30 oil... as long as it does not have added chemicals in it.

Take that advice if you want to be safe - but in the end it does not really matter what you put as long as its oil... as you can see people use ATF which is meant for the AUTOMATIC transmission fluid... and that works for the gearbox... my friends over here mix like 10w30 with 0w 40 oil and like 4 other types of oil and extra used oil as long as it fills up...

When u did the crank. Did u soak the clutch in anything? Or did u put it on dry?

no of course i didnt put it on dry, i used MTL fluid, 80 wt. I think ill just stick with it its done pretty good, in the past with my banshee.

best ones in my experience are bellray 80w, or maxima 80w or any of those "80w" oils... they are made with identical standards to fit that of the banshee... or just use any type of of 10w30 oil... as long as it does not have added chemicals in it.

Take that advice if you want to be safe - but in the end it does not really matter what you put as long as its oil... as you can see people use ATF which is meant for the AUTOMATIC transmission fluid... and that works for the gearbox... my friends over here mix like 10w30 with 0w 40 oil and like 4 other types of oil and extra used oil as long as it fills up...

I am confused the last time i overhauled and automatic transmission i seen alot of gears in them. A motor oil is not meant for wet clutches, and the last time i overhauled a car engine i didn't see many gears in there just timing gears with a chain. ATF is however designed for wet clutches since there are on the average 4 clutch packs in an automatic and 3 sets of planetary gears. :confused:

Klotz Flex Drive 30 and Silkolene Comp Gear are the two oils I have found that do not get dirty as fast as other oils that I have tried, including 10w30 wet clutch approved engine oil, atf, belray gear saver, and honda hp 80wt.

The Silkolene is kind of hard to find but it is a Semi Synthetic Ester blend that is even approved for aluminum plates. Do not run the Pro SRG75 it is to thick and is made more for street bike transmissions, and Harly Transmissions.

http://www.silkoleneusa.com/gear_oil.aspx?SECTION_OBJ_ID=1048908

Klotz Flex Drive 30

http://www.klotzlube.com/proddetail.asp?prod=KL%2D506%5FQuart&cat=4

http://www.klotzlube.com/techsheet.asp?ID=79&submit2=View

Ethire way I would run a oil that is specifically designed for 2 stroke transmission over atf type F, or a regular 10w30 engine oil (oil must be approved for wet clutch systems). Just make sure it is for 2 stroke transmissions. You need a staight weight oil. If it is 80w90 or 75w140 that is a hypoid gear oil wich will be to thick. It is designed for differentails.

well shit any way you look at it if the tranny is put in right there are a lot of combos to run imo if its just a stockish motor run a good synthetic 10w30 or us 80 bellray for high hp drags use atf

I use the klotz flex drive. A mechanic recommended to me in Rexburg and have been using it ever since. It also seems to last longer than the belray 80w that I was using. With the belray, after a hard day in the dunes, the tranny started to shift harder and that usually indicated it was time to change oil. With the klotz, I could go 2 or 3 days before it was time to change oil. It also seems to be cleaner when it is changed out. Switched over my rz350 and rz500 to this stuff as well and both seem to like it better. it is worth the extra money in my opinion.

Edited by cbn70