are the dunes in waynoka worth a 9 hr drive?

wadlesw96

Hi i live in des moines ia and im thinking about going to little sahara on spring break and im just wondering if its worth the drive. also whats the best paddle tires for a banshee and are front paddle tires really neccesary? and my dad has a yz250f and im wondering how it would do in the the sand with a paddle. ive never rode in the sand its all dirt and snow here. it looks like a blast i just want some opinions thanks

YES I advise take it easy till you learn how the sand is (drops, razerbacks) also I don't like the

big event weekends too much RANGER DRAMA. Rear sand tires are a must,I would not buy front for first trip. BE prepared to make plans to back, you will be addicted. Check out WAYNOKA.COM it has the

all the rules and rates.

yea its worth it. youre about 8 hours from there. i live in st. joe and its about 6 hours from me.

you will definitely need rear paddles. the fronts are only optional.

the dirtbikes actually get around pretty decent without a rear paddle, but theyll really fly with a rear paddle.

You bet, I've never had as much fun as riding in the sand. Spring Break is a good weekend to go, we go down that weekend every year.

Front tires aren't necessary, you'll be find with your stock fronts, rear paddles however are.

Edited by Fullthrottle02

Very well worth it we go down there like 4-5times a year.

Rear paddles are a must if you just want to dune on your bike something like a 20" 8 paddle works awesome.

If you do not go that much, you can just rent rear paddle tires w/rims at the service center on location. I want to say it is about 30-40 a day. you can call and check prices.

They are the only dunes I go to, so I have nothing to compare it to. But It is always alot of fun. Lots of sandy trails, small dunes, big dunes, flats, nice camping areas, onsite parts shop. If your not down to camp, you can get a room in town and ride your bike back and forth from the park on the marked side streets to the hotels. some streets are used only during the day. But they have maps on what roads to take. You can even ride into town to get food, beer, gas, or whatever. Or just drive you car. The town relies on ATV'ers, so they are really cool. (So do the cops and park rangers, so keep that in mind. lol....)

Yeah, we go down 6-7 times a year and it is a blast. Big weekends, slow weekends, they are all good depending what your looking for. An 8 p 20" or 21" will be good. Fronts are a luxury. From KC it takes me 6 hours door to door. Tyler must drive like a maniac to make it in 6 for St Joe cause I'm no slouch! Lol! I can make to Des Moines in 2.5 hours. Pulling a trailer I have to stop at least once for gas on the way to LS. I guess I can make it in 5.5 without the kids. Maybe he isn't such a maniac (but I doubt it).

Anyway, you gotta go at least once and see if you like it. Hotels are cheap and camping is fun. Pick your poison. Always a good time. Post up when your going, everyone's spring break varies a little. We usually go for at least 4 days, sometimes up to 7 or 8. There are lots of us that get together down there and you won't find a better group of guys!

SP

I've been down so many times, that I've lost track, but we only live 3 hours from Waynoka, so it's not that bad. The only thing I can recommend, is to not go down for the first time, on the big weekends. It's hard to find camping spots, or motel rooms, plus it's so busy you really have to watch out for everyone else out on the dunes. On the big weekends the place is packed, and you usually hear the ambulance several times a day, coming out to pick someone up, that's gotten hurt. Whatever you do, get some rear paddles, watch out for everyone else, and ride safe.