shifter seal leaking

camorider

Remove your clutch side cover. Take the clutch out, and maybe the kick-start gear assembly. Can't recall if the kicker gear has to come out or not. But once you remove the clutch basket, take the shifter off and slide the shift shaft assembly out through the clutch side cover. Pull the old seal out, and press in the new seal. Put everything back together... Pretty simple. You could do it in a couple hours.

- Jared

Remove your clutch side cover. Take the clutch out, and maybe the kick-start gear assembly. Can't recall if the kicker gear has to come out or not. But once you remove the clutch basket, take the shifter off and slide the shift shaft assembly out through the clutch side cover. Pull the old seal out, and press in the new seal. Put everything back together... Pretty simple. You could do it in a couple hours.

- Jared

That may be the correct way of doing it, but it is a lot of work.

I would try pull the seal out without taking the motor apart. Get a seal pick or use a screw to pull the seal out. Just be careful not to nick the shaft.

all I use to do was take the peg off then the shifter. After everything is out of the way I take a drywall screw and screw it into the seal and use a pair of pliers to pull on the screw to pop the seal out. Clean the surfaces. Apply a small amount of rtv to the outside of the seal and use a deep well socket to reinstall the seal.

I would try replacing it from the outside like everyone agreed, but if it only recently started leaking, i bet you've got a bent shaft that will need replaced.

Same thing happened to me, started leaking at the seal so i replaced it. Still leaked so i replaced it again... :shootself: still leaked so i yanked the clutch and pulled the shifter out and it was banana shaped.

So don't be a dummy like me if it still leaks, you've gotta check your shaft!