opinnions on alky?

jlevasseur

I have a 10 mil mini billet 521cc dunner right now with a stock tranny, CPI sb sf inframes with 39 PWK's on race gas. Thinking about going to a overide, shear out of frames and putting it on alchol. I have a few bikes and would like to get the most out of this motor for drag racing at the dunes. what are your opinions on alky? Is all the work...perging ect worth the gain? Does alky really burn twice as fast as race gas? Any input on anything towards alky or even if a overide is worth it would be great...thanks..

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YES YES YES. Methanol "not 'alky'" is TOTALLY worth it, especially for a drag bike.

People make purging out to be a way bigger deal than it really is.

1) Either drain the existing methanol out of your tank when you're finished riding, put in a little purge gas and run the bike.

2) Get a small bottle (like a Lucas oil stabilizer bottle or similar with a nozzle on the end), make a tee out of fuel line, unhook your fuel lines and hook up the tee, bottle feed and run the bike.

It's really pretty simple, takes about 5mins.

The gains from going to meth from race gas are awesome. You won't be sorry you did.

There IS a learning curve on the tuning though, that's the most time consuming part is getting it dialed in, but when you do you will have a grin.

the tuning part is the only thing keeping me from switching to alky.. with every change in temp/humidity/and even if the sun goes behind a cloud, the tune will change with alky.. i have seen bikes that will run great for one class, then hell the next, and great for the one after that, all on the same tune because the weather changed

the tuning part is the only thing keeping me from switching to alky.. with every change in temp/humidity/and even if the sun goes behind a cloud, the tune will change with alky.. i have seen bikes that will run great for one class, then hell the next, and great for the one after that, all on the same tune because the weather changed

Alky is way easier to tune... It dont mind being run pig rich.. Just dont get greedy leaning back or you'll melt it down. .

Weather didn't affect my 4mil cub any.. I didn't change my jetting once... ran it in everything from 40 degrees up to 100 and humid.. If your jetting is on.. you wont change it. might need a lil gas/ether to get it started if it gets too cold though..

Alky is way easier to tune... It dont mind being run pig rich.. Just dont get greedy leaning back or you'll melt it down. .

Weather didn't affect my 4mil cub any.. I didn't change my jetting once... ran it in everything from 40 degrees up to 100 and humid.. If your jetting is on.. you wont change it. might need a lil gas/ether to get it started if it gets too cold though..

Yep, I just make sure Im spittin' raw fuel out of the exhaust and hammer down... call it good. I just get mine close (rich) and let it be... Methanol is great. Easy to tune, fairly inexpensive, and it smells great :drool:

So, Im with shayne on the rough tuning... Not that its the ideal thing to do, but its what works for me. I need to get it dialed in a bit more for next season and try to get some real times out of her... Good luck with your transition!

I agree. You WILL notice better times a the track if you get it tuned and not run pig rich, however. But if you get it lined out, keep an eye on the air density. I use an air density guage so I can keep an eye on it as it cools off. Sometimes it gets cooler at night, but the humidity will increase, actually making the air density (read = amount of oxygen in the air) worse. I will be the first to admit that I never run any of mine on the ragged edge and will never get every last bit of out of them, but it can be done safely. I'll never go back to gas.

I agree. You WILL notice better times a the track if you get it tuned and not run pig rich, however. But if you get it lined out, keep an eye on the air density. I use an air density guage so I can keep an eye on it as it cools off. Sometimes it gets cooler at night, but the humidity will increase, actually making the air density (read = amount of oxygen in the air) worse. I will be the first to admit that I never run any of mine on the ragged edge and will never get every last bit of out of them, but it can be done safely. I'll never go back to gas.

I agree 100%.....

at this last hillclimb this year, while my bike was torn apart, a buddy let me run his 10mm cub on alcohol. i am very used to my 10mm cub on gas that ive been riding for about 4 years now. i never went to alcohol because in the ama hillclimb series up north, alcohol is not allowed..

anyway, i jumped on his bike and there was a very noticeable difference in the way the bike ran. it was definitely way rich on the idle as it took a little to get it cleaned out before each run. once that bike was WOT, it took off like a rocket. and i thought my 10mm cub on gas was fast. that motor seemed to pull forever. granted he did have it geared way too low for me, since he outweighs me by 50 or 60 pounds, it still ran hard.

all i can say is that if youre straight up dragging, go with the alcohol. purging isnt that big of a deal.

How is the run time with the "alky" compared to gas? Right now on gas I can get around 40 miles to a tank. would that change to about 20 if I switched. (of course I would probably change top ends while I was at it).

Depending on the state of tune and size of the motor and how much time you spend at WOT.. maybe 1 mile.?

I used to get about 20 300ft passes with my 4mil cub. I would not use alky for anything other then drag racing.