lectron carbs

vegas banshee

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

welp if you want to spend the time removing carbs and yanking bowls stripping out those lil bitty philips screws and dealing with finiky floats, and fuel starvation from teeny tiny fuel chambers on keiheins, or mikuni's get them.

dont get me wrong i have had my days with mikuni's and kehiens i have the jets, needles to prove it.. they all work great once you have them figured out but then day to day they will always screw up at some point..

people that dont like lectrons dont understand them. its just that simple. most builders have a carb that they are most familiar with and have the most "jets" for you give me a set of off the shelf packard lectrons and a bike i can have them installed and jetted nearly perfect in half an hour. with nothing to buy ever again.. no jet boards no different needles. no none of that stuff. if you want an excellent carb you need to get them set up right from the start and not just jump on ebay and try and find the cheapest lectron you can from a harley built in the 60's .. get a set of packards even a set of alky carbs and have packard send you a set of gas needles ( about 60 bucks) and turn the pj's off or you can always crack them open if your going to fire road it or some crazy stuff like that

Oh man I've got a long horror story with brand new, "already setup", out of the box Packard Lectrons :flush: . On a brand new, pressure tested 10 Mil Cub burned a plug strap every pass due to not getting enough fuel. Overflowed the bowls constantly (pumper carbs). Took them to Packard personally (at the Planet Sand Race in Gilbert) he alledgedly set the needles for me..said they were too lean. (But this is the way he sent them to me in the first place??!!!)

Next pass, burned another plug strap. So Packard says: "swap carbs left to right and see if the problem follows." Before I could say what a dumbass idea that was (how many fucking plug straps can you burn before you grenade a motor :shootself: ) hes says, take them back off and we'll drill them out bigger. So I think he means he's gonna drill out the power jet, right? He drills out the little useless bell on the end of the power jet. Next pass plugs are black as charcoal, but no burned strap. These burned plugs were the $8/each iridiums. Cost me about $40 in damn spark plugs in 5 passes.

I talked to many at the track and they had similar issues with the Lectrons not providing enough fuel. So they drilled out the powerjet and all the barbs on the pj and the bowl.

Sorry for the rant. Cam, I know lots of the fast guys run Packard Lectrons and love them, just wanted to share my experience with them. :cheers: After my experience I will always be a Lectron hater, I guess :D .

If you aren't drag racing, I'd go with the keihins. I think they'd be a better fit for a trail/duning machine.

I love my lectrons on my drag bike though, I've had zero problems out of them. They came from packard and are gravity fed. I've heard and seen some of people's horror stories, but they have been an excellent carb for me on my setup, extremely quick and easy to tune.

But, like mentioned before, everyone has their own preferences.

Mine are now gravity fed (new float seats and billet bowls [along with new nikasil, new pistons, new crank bearing, new domes, etc.]),but yet to be run. I think the pumper carbs are what more have had problems with (though some have had zero issues.)

all my lectrons are gravity fed. i dont mind the ranting it dosent bother me no mater what the product or who has built what there will always be someone that has had an issue or a problem with that particular product or shop its inevitable..

i love'd my 36mm lectrons on my trail bike they just worked really really well.. they are NOT packards id ont think they are ever FBG's i got them from a guy who sold them to me relatively cheap, i even let them sit for over a year then decided to try them took off the 35mm pwk's and these lil lectrons made the bike a lot faster.. i couldnt gett he pwks jetted just right with the jets and needles i had. but with the easy tuning capability's of the lectrons i got the bike almost spot on. i will admit that i have used them a lot and understand some of their quirks. but once you get used to them they are a very very easy carb to work with.

I think that all the builders have there preference. I love the lectrons and imo one of the best carbs on the market and easiest to tune. We done a 4mm supercub on the dyno the other day with a set of mikunis set up by k&t and made 102 switched to lectrons made 111. And i worked on the mikunis for an hour or more, had the lectrons there in about 3 pulls. They can be finiky if there not setup correctly and packard is the man to do that. Like i said everybody has there preference and mine is lectrons. And some of the fastest bikes in the industry run lectrons as well.

Lectrons hands down have proven to me that they make more lowend power, and maintain the same topend power as mikunis or keihins at the very least. Seen it myself on the dyno, and I ran 32mm lectrons on my old sand bike. The hard part is, learning how to tune the needles, understanding how it works, and making sure you have all the needles your gonna need to get it tuned in. I recommend going with a set of carbs from a reknown lectron builder like packard, he can get you close. After that its just fine tuning to get them perfect.If you dont like the flat head screws on the carb top, then go to the hardware store and get different ones. All carbs come with shitty hardware that the head strips out on, so I dont know why someone was just bagging on the flat heads on the lectrons.

I think everyone has a personal preference.I ran lectrons on a asphalt drag bike and liked them because thats what i had and learned how to get the most out of them.Not to mention the bike was only ran 1/4 at a time at WOT

I can tell you on a banshee,i would never go the lectron route if i was going to use it for anything other than straight up dragging.I think the Pwks give the best feedback when it comes to tuning individual circuits.

[/quote

IMO nothing beats a Lectron for drag racing I love mine and they where highly recomended by a top name builder

I think everyone has a personal preference.I ran lectrons on a asphalt drag bike and liked them because thats what i had and learned how to get the most out of them.Not to mention the bike was only ran 1/4 at a time at WOT

I can tell you on a banshee,i would never go the lectron route if i was going to use it for anything other than straight up dragging.I think the Pwks give the best feedback when it comes to tuning individual circuits.

[/quote

IMO nothing beats a Lectron for drag racing I love mine and they where highly recomended by a top name builder

i dont run lectrons but paul does and i can honestly say the his bike is very consistent and always runs great

Lectrons hands down have proven to me that they make more lowend power, and maintain the same topend power as mikunis or keihins at the very least. Seen it myself on the dyno, and I ran 32mm lectrons on my old sand bike. The hard part is, learning how to tune the needles, understanding how it works, and making sure you have all the needles your gonna need to get it tuned in. I recommend going with a set of carbs from a reknown lectron builder like packard, he can get you close. After that its just fine tuning to get them perfect.If you dont like the flat head screws on the carb top, then go to the hardware store and get different ones. All carbs come with shitty hardware that the head strips out on, so I dont know why someone was just bagging on the flat heads on the lectrons.

i want to address the two parts in bold.. first, many people claim that one of the great things about the lectrons is that you dont need all the jets, which normally run you about $4 a piece give or take a little. the lectron needles are expensive as fuck, so buying all the ones you need to get tuned doesnt really jive with the theory that you dont need a bunch of extra shit laying around..

second, that was me that complained about the shitty hardware. for the price you pay for the lectrons, who wants to have to run out and buy parts for them? thats kind of absurd. my keihins hardware has worked fine for 4 years now. i still have the original philips head screws in them that came with the carbs.

IF you can buy the carbs and have the correct needles with them, thats great. chances are though you wont get the right needles and to buy two of them is a lot of money, after youve already shelled out the big bucks for the carbs. the keihins are far more economical to buy. the jets are cheap and the jetting specs for nearly every setup are out there. it seems kind of funny to me that everyone is pushing the lectrons, claiming that tons of people run them, yet still talk about having to buy different needles to get them tuned in correctly.

i have never had to buy needles for any of my lectrons. BUT i am going to get a set of gas needles for the carbs on my girfriends bike i expect to pay 60 bucks for them i think? and i will be able to switch them back to gas with out even having to remove the carb from the bike..

all my lectrons have the same hardware they came with some of the sets i have are almost 10 years old. perform just like they did when i put them on the bike's the first time.

the needles are expensive, I dont have to buy them though. I just brought back the old ones, and then exchanged them for the new ones from my motor guy. The power jets are just mikuni pilot jets, they are pretty cheap. For the power the carbs give you compared to anything else, its worth the time messing with them on a drag bike, and a low-mid setup. Its just a fucker doing it.

dont know anything bout lectrons but not a fan of the gay ass fucking plastic idle screws in $350 in keihin carbs.bout a cockslap if u ask me.