lectron carbs

vegas banshee

looking into carbs and its between keihins or lectrons.. my banshee has pro circuit pipes a milled head boyseen reeds HDclutch springs and 13/41 gearing .. wanna get some more power up top without killing my low end.. so im either going 28 keihins or 30 lectrons.. i like the how simple lectrons are but a lot have people have told me they love there keihins .. ino porting is coming in the future.. nothin to crazy... id like to keep my banshee trail and desert worthy.. i also have a question about elevation.. where im at now its about 1500 ft above sea level.. well when we go to utah its like 5-6000 ft i think.. what would i have to do to lectrons since theres no jetting?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would HIGHLY suggest the lectron carbs. i would even say maybe a 34 36 or 36/38 carb with the elevation changes it will take you about 20 minutes the first time you go out there to change the jetting for the carbs. you wont have to pull them off that bike at al since there are NO jets to change and all adjustments are made to the needle in the slide. the biggest thing you will need to read about how to make the changes the correct way. and how to move the needle.. if you have ever jetted a banshee with any other type of carb and then bought a lectron and jetted it you will never go back to the old replacing jets and messing with slows and all that BS.. i have been using the packard alky lectrons for a long time now. i recentely bought a set of gas 36mm lectrons and they were the easiest and best running carb i have ever had..

once you get your needle lengths figured out for the elevation changes you can write down the measurements and make the change in about 10 minutes. then you coudl fine tune it for differnt temps at any time in the year.

i personally say to stick with keihins. ive had nothing but good luck with them and some of the fastest bikes in the country are running keihins.

i ran a lectron years ago on my cr500 bike and that thing was the biggest piece of junk. the quality of the carb itself was shit and to top it all off they come with shitty hardware. the choke on mine would never stay up either. last time ill be using one of them.

i think unless you are wanting to run a huge carb (44mm) and up, to just stick with a good set of dual keihin pwk.

i personally say to stick with keihins. ive had nothing but good luck with them and some of the fastest bikes in the country are running keihins.

i ran a lectron years ago on my cr500 bike and that thing was the biggest piece of junk. the quality of the carb itself was shit and to top it all off they come with shitty hardware. the choke on mine would never stay up either. last time ill be using one of them.

i think unless you are wanting to run a huge carb (44mm) and up, to just stick with a good set of dual keihin pwk.

i think i remeber seeing some where that they improved on them in the last few years so maybe you had a bad one? idk but the thing i like about the keihins is all the support because almost everyone has em so there is always some one to answer questions.. ive actually never even seen a lectron in person.. but i like how simple they are and it would make my banshee more unique.. haha tough choice

i think i remeber seeing some where that they improved on them in the last few years so maybe you had a bad one? idk but the thing i like about the keihins is all the support because almost everyone has em so there is always some one to answer questions.. ive actually never even seen a lectron in person.. but i like how simple they are and it would make my banshee more unique.. haha tough choice

everyone says the lectrons are so simple, but once you get your bike jetted in you dont need to fuck with it much using either carb.

the support is definitely there with the keihins and we can probably get you jetted with in one or two main sizes of being spot on.

i fucked around with the stupid needle on the lectron and ended up with 3 of them.. none of which ever worked properly. i couldnt get anyone to get the shit figured out. k&t built my motor and sent me the carb, yet couldnt offer me any real decent advice on what to run. i went back to running the 39mm pwk and it ran a ton better.

i dont see the attraction to the lectrons, like i say, unless you need something 44mm and up.

The poor quality and the poor hardware (flat head screws that look like something you would use to hang a picture on the wall) cannot be understated.

Lots of the fast guys at the track run them, but I hate them. When you turn the needle, one may move farther than the other (so I've heard.) Hell, they may not even be all cast the same size or the needles identical in taper or length :confused: .

If you put a power jet on a Keihn and have the right needle in there, I don't see why the lectron is easier to tune. I personally know of some dyno tests on a 7 mil Cub where the Keihns picked up 7 hp. On another motor, the Lectrons made more peak hp on SOME pulls, but were inconsistent, whereas the Keihns were consistent from pull to pull, and not far off of the best pull with the Lectrons.

put a power jet in a keihin? now im confused haha so say we go up to utah.. do i still have to take the carbs apart to rejet or if the power jet is on a keihin is it all done from the top of the carb like a lectron? we make a few trips a year up to higher elevation and all of the jetting and redoing carbs gets annoying.. we have 2 banshees.. 4 carbs to dial in haha

put a power jet in a keihin? now im confused haha so say we go up to utah.. do i still have to take the carbs apart to rejet or if the power jet is on a keihin is it all done from the top of the carb like a lectron? we make a few trips a year up to higher elevation and all of the jetting and redoing carbs gets annoying.. we have 2 banshees.. 4 carbs to dial in haha

im on the Same boat as u, except i already have the lectron (34MM).. i'm trying to decide wether to keep them or swap to smaller keihins or mikunis... i'd have to drive almost 1 hr to get my bike tuned cus none of the builders around me like to tune lectrons.... i'm starting to think they just scare cus honestly it doesnt sound as bad ONLINE...

welp if you want to spend the time removing carbs and yanking bowls stripping out those lil bitty philips screws and dealing with finiky floats, and fuel starvation from teeny tiny fuel chambers on keiheins, or mikuni's get them.

dont get me wrong i have had my days with mikuni's and kehiens i have the jets, needles to prove it.. they all work great once you have them figured out but then day to day they will always screw up at some point..

people that dont like lectrons dont understand them. its just that simple. most builders have a carb that they are most familiar with and have the most "jets" for you give me a set of off the shelf packard lectrons and a bike i can have them installed and jetted nearly perfect in half an hour. with nothing to buy ever again.. no jet boards no different needles. no none of that stuff. if you want an excellent carb you need to get them set up right from the start and not just jump on ebay and try and find the cheapest lectron you can from a harley built in the 60's .. get a set of packards even a set of alky carbs and have packard send you a set of gas needles ( about 60 bucks) and turn the pj's off or you can always crack them open if your going to fire road it or some crazy stuff like that

welp if you want to spend the time removing carbs and yanking bowls stripping out those lil bitty philips screws and dealing with finiky floats, and fuel starvation from teeny tiny fuel chambers on keiheins, or mikuni's get them.

dont get me wrong i have had my days with mikuni's and kehiens i have the jets, needles to prove it.. they all work great once you have them figured out but then day to day they will always screw up at some point..

people that dont like lectrons dont understand them. its just that simple. most builders have a carb that they are most familiar with and have the most "jets" for you give me a set of off the shelf packard lectrons and a bike i can have them installed and jetted nearly perfect in half an hour. with nothing to buy ever again.. no jet boards no different needles. no none of that stuff. if you want an excellent carb you need to get them set up right from the start and not just jump on ebay and try and find the cheapest lectron you can from a harley built in the 60's .. get a set of packards even a set of alky carbs and have packard send you a set of gas needles ( about 60 bucks) and turn the pj's off or you can always crack them open if your going to fire road it or some crazy stuff like that

I would get keihins over lectrons any day. So the way your talking about the mikuni's and keihin's you can have them jetted perfictly. Nothing changes (air temp, humidity, or elevation) then all of a sudden your jetting is totaly off. Is this what your really claiming? Maybe keihins just have to much adjustability for you. If all you want to do is turn a knob to jet your carburetor then a lectron is for you.

You dont pull the bowls off Keihins to jet them. There is a 17mm plug you take out and can get to the main jet with the bowl still on.

and turn the pj's off or you can always crack them open if your going to fire road it or some crazy stuff like that

I run the same jetting with my pwk's if I am slow trail riding with the family or going Wide Opean in 6th gear. I guess I dont have to lean my Keihin carbs out if I plan on doing slow speed cruzing.

I'm not very fond of the lectrons myself.. I use them.. and I understand them.. but I still dont like them. With Lectrons its easy to get close, but near impossible to fine tune...

I'll second what Tyler said.. Unless you need a huge carb.. I'd run the Kiehins. Never had a problem with fuel or float issues. Kiehins are great carbs.

what are you babbling about? once the keihins or mikunis are close there is no need to mess with any of that stuff. ive been running PWK's for years now and never had a screw strip, a float hang up or had to worry about starving for fuel.

day to day? maybe you shouldnt have jumped on ebay and bought the cheapest set of carbs you could find. maybe you should have bought them new. this is lame. day to day? please. i wonder what the ratio is of people who use keihins over lectrons.

again, youre rambling. once you get ANY carb close, there is no need to buy anything for it ever again. with all the people out there that run keihins or mikunis, it is very simple to get your bike within one or two main sizes with a little help.

dan at a&s runs 39mm pwk on most of his big motors, and we all know how well he does at the track. are you insinuating that he doesnt understand the lectrons, because he doesnt like them?

I think everyone has a personal preference.I ran lectrons on a asphalt drag bike and liked them because thats what i had and learned how to get the most out of them.Not to mention the bike was only ran 1/4 at a time at WOT

I can tell you on a banshee,i would never go the lectron route if i was going to use it for anything other than straight up dragging.I think the Pwks give the best feedback when it comes to tuning individual circuits.