Anyone running a drag bike w/o banshee motor?

krss144

I have been kicking around the idea of building a drag bike. I was wondering if anyone is or knows someone that has put a snowmobile motor in a shee frame? I might have a triple snowmobile motor that is looking for a frame to be unleashed in. Ya I could build a drag sled then I am limited...but with a banshee frame I could drag at the track and sand/dirt. I am just wondering how you would use the clutches? How you connect the drives? A lot more questions Im sure would come later but didnt know if its possible, has it been done before, classes for hp? Thanks.

Oh the motor could be a 00 Artic Cat ThunderCat 1000cc triple (stock hp around 175)the motor is a suzuki.

arctic cats are used quite a bit in drag frames for sand hill and strip. rotax also makes a strong motor..yes it has most definately been done before. the drives i have seen come way out the left side of the bike and to the back a bit and are torquey as hell. it is quite common though. more than you think...google and you tube it..youll see.thats about all i can tell ya.hope it helps even if just a little.

Well I personally cant weld even though I work for a Structural steel company and have a Misc. shop also. So I know a few poeple plus my father-in-law has two race car frames that he built himself. The jack shaft setups with belt drives is what has me puzzled. Well I guess thats why we start at the drawing board. Time to start using my schooling...wow its amazing that I have a dregree in Drafting and Design and have only used it for 3 months and that was 4-5years ago.

Thanks for the input fellas, first I will have to see if the motor is still available.

Personally my friend and I built a drag bike with 550 cat motor. I don't know if shee frame is long enough, I think it's about 12inches from center of crank to center of clutch for large A.C. motors (550 was 10.2 cl/cl) We used A.C. chain case for additional gear reduction so we didn't need giant rear sprocket. Biggest thing is making sure shafts are parralell. One nice thing is that CVT is consistant and you can't miss a shift. Down side is initial setup/dial in.

Ok thanks guys, so there are Banshee based triple? Wow learn something new everyday. Thanks again.

i swear loco just posted this link like two days ago. check out mattonmachine.com they have some sweet cases. prolly a bit steep on pricing but it would be unique and still kick ass to the hq world. you toss a sled motor in there and its not really a banshee nemore

it would be easier to build a custom frame than to stuff it into a banshee frame ive run against trippple snomos and street bike motors both are real strong runners i believe all the snomos have been in scratch built frames especially the tripples dont waste your time with a twin snomo unless its a cranker motor (banshee cases sonmo top end)

• 1 month later...