lock out tuning

quadgod211

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SlowerThanYou @ Jun 30 2009, 03:57 PM) I didn't say you were top dog, it was asked as a ? I want a realistic standard not a 100lb jockey on a chromoly frame. You run nothing but 300' sand/dirt and I thought you would be up to the challenge. I think you have the bigger bike, but nothing stupid for a apples to apples comparison. I have a stock frame, gasoline powered 7mm cub. I think you are close except a 10mm cub on alky, am I right or wrong? All I would like is 3 times to the 300' to better your best time.

What do you think about that, Bryan

Gotcha...

10 mil cub, stock cut frame, alky, and I"m 250.

I'll have a new frame in the next few months.

But you'd have to run at a track I run at or vice versa.

Anyone will tell you, each track is different. You'd have to beat my time realistically at the same track.

Im 170ibs I hoppeed on to dave's bike no tire change or anything set up for his 250 ibs and ran a 3.92, I'm waiting for the new owner to set the bike to my weight and see what we can do... Just my 2 cents,

Im 170ibs I hoppeed on to dave's bike no tire change or anything set up for his 250 ibs and ran a 3.92, I'm waiting for the new owner to set the bike to my weight and see what we can do... Just my 2 cents,

It's not really about Dave or even Dave's old bike. I went out & did something Dave & Fouledout421 said that couldn't be done because the asphalt/hill don't count when it comes to 300' sand. The time slips I posted was our 1st three runs at 300' sand. I used a clutch set-up in between the asphalt & hill because we had to much wheel speed on the hill.

We don't have it all figured out yet, but next time we'll be better prepared. We had problems with traction in 3rd & 4th gears & hopefully do better next time out.

There's plenty of good information in this post related to clutch management, but there's also a lot missing.

Same as you.....just my 2 cents

It's not really about Dave or even Dave's old bike. I went out & did something Dave & Fouledout421 said that couldn't be done because the asphalt/hill don't count when it comes to 300' sand. The time slips I posted was our 1st three runs at 300' sand. I used a clutch set-up in between the asphalt & hill because we had to much wheel speed on the hill.

We don't have it all figured out yet, but next time we'll be better prepared. We had problems with traction in 3rd & 4th gears & hopefully do better next time out.

There's plenty of good information in this post related to clutch management, but there's also a lot missing.

Same as you.....just my 2 cents

Maybe running the wrong tire if you're having "traction problems" in 3rd and 4th gears?

This thread is JUST a bit old...that being said, my original thoughts were an asphalt setup would not work on 300ft dirt/sand.

I stand by that.

HOWEVER... a modified setup, I'm sure that would.

Slower Than and Tedder are doing stuff on pavement that is incredible, without a doubt. (Don't mean to drag anyone in here...just sayin' what I know)

I remember seeing SlowerThan's timeslip a while back, but I don't remember what track or what event. I do remember it was pretty good...to be honest.

If I remember, it was a well known and respected track...it wasn't Bob and Jim's backyard drag o rama.

Another reason i got out of this sport (for now) is the drama. I wholeheartedly admit I was the cause of or carried on about some of the drama myself. I'm not throwing rocks in a glass house.

I just don't miss the BS, I don't miss those who think they're king shit and really have only raced a bunch of court jesters. (Not saying that about anyone in particular in this thread, just in general...)

When most of our original comments were made in this tread, it was 2 and a half years ago. Things have changed, things will always change...if not, we get no faster and actually get nowhere.

It would be nice if SlowerThan could post up some clutch information on what they do and how they set it up. HOWEVER...if they wanted to keep that to themselves for their own personal benefit, that is 100% up to them and I wouldn't begrudge him in the least.

I use slowers info on clutch tuning and it has help me come a long way ,i use a sno-mo spring tension guage to measure primary spring tension,and my gram scale to measure finger weight.Its all about being consistant ,the biggest variable in racing is the rider so anything to help that variable is needed like launch limiter,shift lite/tach.To make adjustments to the clutch for a certain track all other variables must be constant,i adjust the clutch on my shee just like a drag bike(street bike).Each motor will be diffrent i now have diffrent set ups ready for diffrent track in seperate bags,the biggest time improvements came to me with clutch tuning

Dave & Sleeper,

Thanks for the kind words and Dave I'm no stranger to the drama either. I get that way mainly when I'm provoked; does it make it right, no.

I'll make this clear! No mods to the clutch set-up, believe it or not that's the facts. We have run the exact same set-up on asphalt.

The times slips are from Dome Valley, AZ. It was supposed to happen at the PS 8th Annual West Coast Shoot Out that got cancelled two days prior. Thanks to the track they stepped up and put on a two day deal.

We put down some good times, but was having traction problems down track because the lack of paddles. The 60' times was what got everyone's attention, low 1.30's.

As for things changing in 2 1/2 years. The asphalt techniques were being used by 2 sand Racer's during the start of this post. They wanted to stay anonymous then & now. Just for information it's being done with standard lock-ups.

Sleeper, provided some very good information! I'm sure he does more than that, I know we do.

I'll say it again, the information is out there. Clutch tuning seemed to start happening around the late 60's according my research. Keep an open mind and work hard it pays great dividends.

Edited by SlowerThanYou

1.3 60 foot times will get you noticed every time...:)

I hope, for your sake...adding tires won't kill your 60 foot but increase your ET/MPH..

Or you may have to go back and adjust the clutch a little, gearing and/or air pressure.

1.3 is about as good as it's gonna get on a small to mid size motor on sand.

You're probably used to low 1.2 60s on pavement...

I hope, for your sake...adding tires won't kill your 60 foot but increase your ET/MPH..

Or you may have to go back and adjust the clutch a little, gearing and/or air pressure.

1.3 is about as good as it's gonna get on a small to mid size motor on sand.

You're probably used to low 1.2 60s on pavement...

The trip to Dome Valley was a last minute deal. Someone wanted me to help with their clutch set-up. I agreed if they could lend me front/rear tires I would do it. The paddles were 22x11x8 12 paddle extremes. They were my old tires I ran on the hill and I knew they were not enough paddle.

The clutch set-up was one of our heavier primary pressure asphalt set-ups. I think we still have a little too much primary and will probably loosen it up for the new tires.

As for the 1.2 60's, hasn't happened yet and at our weight. Well, I think a 140 lb would be needed to accomplish that on both surfaces. But, you never know.

My 1st pass was a 1.339 60' with me weighing 210lbs. The second pass was a 1.314 60' with Angel weighing 170lbs. I said he was 180lbs in another post and he corrected me. We both hope to be 20lbs. lighter next time. Plus, we are taking the front brakes off and considering putting it back on Alky.

Dave requested some clutch information in an earlier post. I will not give specifics, but will try and steer you in the right direction. Probably will start with one of Sleeper's comments.