lock out tuning

quadgod211

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't say you were top dog, it was asked as a ? I want a realistic standard not a 100lb jockey on a chromoly frame. You run nothing but 300' sand/dirt and I thought you would be up to the challenge. I think you have the bigger bike, but nothing stupid for a apples to apples comparison. I have a stock frame, gasoline powered 7mm cub. I think you are close except a 10mm cub on alky, am I right or wrong? All I would like is 3 times to the 300' to better your best time.

What do you think about that, Bryan

Gotcha...

10 mil cub, stock cut frame, alky, and I"m 250.

I'll have a new frame in the next few months.

But you'd have to run at a track I run at or vice versa.

Anyone will tell you, each track is different. You'd have to beat my time realistically at the same track.

Gotcha...

10 mil cub, stock cut frame, alky, and I"m 250.

I'll have a new frame in the next few months.

But you'd have to run at a track I run at or vice versa.

Anyone will tell you, each track is different. You'd have to beat my time realistically at the same track.

OK Dave, I will try and simplify this even though I'm the severe 300' sand underdog here according to you. I think your brother or someone took your quad to Planet Sand and it ran great times. If that person was at least 175lbs, why not use them time slips as the standard and I normally weigh 215-220. I think that puts everything in your favor.

It was a buddy, the 3.7 timeslips were not good. I saw them.

Realistically...it probably would've been more like a high 3.8 bike with him on it. He's 160ish.

If you've never ran 300 foot of sand or dirt before, then yes, I would say you are the underdog.

I'm sure you can take a hill or pavement setup and start there, but there's going to be more tuning from there.

Like I said...I'm not using any baseline. Same track, same day...same time.

If you want to take numbers from your track and compare them to mine, that makes as much sense as taking numbers from your dyno and comparing them to ones here. Surely you can understand that...

It was a buddy, the 3.7 timeslips were not good. I saw them.

Realistically...it probably would've been more like a high 3.8 bike with him on it. He's 160ish.

If you've never ran 300 foot of sand or dirt before, then yes, I would say you are the underdog.

I'm sure you can take a hill or pavement setup and start there, but there's going to be more tuning from there.

Like I said...I'm not using any baseline. Same track, same day...same time.

If you want to take numbers from your track and compare them to mine, that makes as much sense as taking numbers from your dyno and comparing them to ones here. Surely you can understand that...

Ok what realistic ET would you like to see out of my combination with a 170-220lb rider.

I have never run 300' specifically on sand or dirt. Looks like we will run the Planet Sand Race in Nov. at AVI with me riding or my buddy.

you guys can enter the same index class at planet sand...that way its a heads up tree

my buddy has a 10mm cub fully drag frame and all that runs 3.79's and at gilbert last year he was out ran by a 7mm for the class record i think.....

the reason i started this topic is becuase i was told over the phone by charlie ohton that they was topsecret with there clutch info...and he siad when i got the set up spot on that a set of clutches would last only a couple weekends....well i have ran my lockup for close to 2 years now with out ever turning a bolt on it and i figured there had to be more to gain from it...i dont think i need more wieght becuase the clutch pulls to good....

so i figured to keep from blowing the tires off the first 30ft of every track i have been to that i could maybe make it slip....i dont want to run hd springs and stock springs doesnt seem to even make a diference at all...i thought i could maybe cut them...im not going to,,,i just wanted to know if it cuold be done and has anyone tried it....

i just want to find a way to keep from blowing the tires off 30ft-60ft out of the gate....

i set as far back as i posibly can with 180-200lbs

i turn my timing down a fraction and it bogs

i gear higher and it bogs

air pressure doesnt help

adjust my limiter and it goes either way..it bogs or comes out and spins

if i go 1 inch shorter on the arm and hooks to hard and wants to bounce,even with the bar on the ground

i guess im gonna just deal with it becuase im outta options right now...

matt

you guys can enter the same index class at planet sand...that way its a heads up tree

my buddy has a 10mm cub fully drag frame and all that runs 3.79's and at gilbert last year he was out ran by a 7mm for the class record i think.....

Are you talking 08 or 09...

If your buddy ran 3.79s...it wasn't good enough to get in the finals. My bike and a Donnie Rawls motor were in the finals, and Frank lost to Hinks, and yep...it was a 7mm cub. My bike is a stock cut frame in a duner setup...no BS. :)

Check the date on his time slip. If he had a terrible reaction time and unrealistically low 60 foot time, it was a bad pass.

The gaurd beams were on the first day, off the next two...then on the remainder of the event.

Bryan...

A solid running 7 mil cub in the correct chassis setup at PS should run 3.8s or so.

Let's forget about that time for a second.

Win the race, win the class. 0-475cc class is huge. All 4, 7 and 10 mil stock cylinder and cubs.

Not everyone has the cabbage to run 800 cc plus motors....but a smaller cub is affordable, after that it's tuning!

i dunno Dave if it was 07 or 08..i think 08...he said he ran a record pass and didn't want his bike tore down because he said it wasn't important..hes a funny like that..

he said then another couple guy's passed him for it and then a 7mm cub took them all by nearly a 0.010 or more maybe...

his name was wyatt kirk it was a maroon cherry lookin superman banshee....or that year it might have been green with superman grill and asteroids painted on it....

its the same bike thats in the ionia pics that was posted a day or so ago.....

matt

Don't take this the wrong way....but if it is the same bike AND same motor, it was cheating.

It's a 0-475 class and that red superman bike is a 10 mil super cub.

My bike had the record for a minute, Charlie Ohton put his initials on the cylinder.

But after the whole gaurd beam fiasco....oh well.

My bike raced Jarid on here, can't remember his screen name on one of the passes, it was 3.76 or 3.78, I saw the slip...it was false!

I saw that bike at Ionia....it is fast, no doubt, but we were all told it was a 10 mil super cub.

Don't take this the wrong way....but if it is the same bike AND same motor, it was cheating.

It's a 0-475 class and that red superman bike is a 10 mil super cub.

My bike had the record for a minute, Charlie Ohton put his initials on the cylinder.

But after the whole gaurd beam fiasco....oh well.

My bike raced Jarid on here, can't remember his screen name on one of the passes, it was 3.76 or 3.78, I saw the slip...it was false!

I saw that bike at Ionia....it is fast, no doubt, but we were all told it was a 10 mil super cub.

Why would you ever let ohton touch your bike? lol that guy is fuggin nuts

Matt,

First and foremost you are doing some research and keeping a open mind. There are people in the sport using internal clutch slippage initially then locking up the clutch progressively as they go down the track. I have friends and know others and even attend the events. They are using other motorsports technology and using it successfully and they keep it secret. Like anything it will eventually filter down to the other classes. Anyway, it will eat up the clutches and there are modifications to slow the process. BTW we are getting around 70 clutch runs on asphalt after starting with only 2-5 runs. The more you know the longer they last. Our sand set-up is doing good, but I don't have the exact amount but's around 50 hill runs with a fairly new used asphalt clutch. I can look up the asphalt runs if needed.

Bryan

i talked to him today i had to have a cpi welded on agin...

he said he ran a 3.74 in the left lane and 2 guys out ran him 1 was a 7mm....

his motor aint a super cub i looked at it today..its a dan haul 465 cub with 39 pwk's 23inch 16 paddle rippers...

he says its not drag ported but i argued that...lol

bryan where can i look at a multi stage clutch????or are they custom applicated???

matt

bryan where can i look at a multi stage clutch????or are they custom applicated???

matt

I can post a photo again, I'm sure I've ready done that. I think the only person allowed to sell them is Chuck Wilburn and they are pricey.

I'm not so sure if that's what you really need for the price. The basic principles work on the standard lock-up, but you do have and additional option with the multi-stage.