lock out tuning

quadgod211

has any of you guys tried cutting some on your clutch springs for better 60ft's????

i heard it would slip a lil outta the hole if you cut a ring off them and then the centrifugal force would lock it up for good clutch on down the track....

does anyone have any info on this subject or does everyone run them outta the box ready to go....

matt

Edited by NYUK

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never cut the springs.. but.. if you start alternating HD springs with stock springs.. you get the same effect.

I would recommend you do some more research. We have used cut springs since we started on both sand & asphalt. Here's an example a 700+cc DM using all stock Banshee springs and not burning up the clutch. Depending on the combination you can get pretty creative with the stock springs and a lock-up.

do you slip your clutch manually????

see i just want to drop the clutch and it slip on it own just a slight bit...

heres my problem im trying to fix....

when i drop the clutch and the bike takes off i launch good,, but after about 30ft i hit the wheelie bar and its on it the rest of the way down....seems like nothing i do,,,tire psi,,,wieght adjustment ,,,ect

nothing seems to hook straight outta the hole like im wanting....

i shortened the swingarm and got a lot of wheel hop so im figuring that the clutch would have to be the way to fix it...

matt

I would recommend you do some more research. We have used cut springs since we started on both sand & asphalt. Here's an example a 700+cc DM using all stock Banshee springs and not burning up the clutch. Depending on the combination you can get pretty creative with the stock springs and a lock-up.

Easy turbo.... I recommend you lighten up.... It was a typo. It was supposed to say "I never cut the springs"

I run 6 Toomey srpings and added weight to the lock up. I slip the clutch manually. I run 3 different tracks.. Track conditions are different at each track not to mention track conditions change alot through out the day. Thats the difference between a good rider and a average rider. Anyone can dump the clutch and go.

when i drop the clutch and the bike takes off i launch good,, but after about 30ft i hit the wheelie bar and its on it the rest of the way down....seems like nothing i do,,,tire psi,,,wieght adjustment ,,,ect

nothing seems to hook straight outta the hole like im wanting....

i shortened the swingarm and got a lot of wheel hop so im figuring that the clutch would have to be the way to fix it...

matt

If you shorten the swing arm.. you'll just hit the bar harder.. whats your rider weight? How high do you have the wheel? sounds like some chassis adjustments could help.

Easy turbo.... I recommend you lighten up.... It was a typo. It was supposed to say "I never cut the springs"

I run 6 Toomey srpings and added weight to the lock up. I slip the clutch manually. I run 3 different tracks.. Track conditions are different at each track not to mention track conditions change alot through out the day. Thats the difference between a good rider and a average rider. Anyone can dump the clutch and go.

Grasshopper, the typo excuse is taking the easy way out of giving bad information.

As for dumping the clutch, that's the proper way to do it on asphalt. You must know something the top classes of NHRA & IHRA don't know. They all dump the clutch, but that's the difference between a wannabe good rider/driver and a professional. Yes I included rider, but I guess you would even call a Pro Stock Motorcycle rider average. Bryan

i weigh 190lbs...i run pro wedge 1's that are alot bigger then the 2's so there a lil heavier but hook real good..

im geared 16/41 2nd gear launch....it hooks about the time i hit 3nd

if i could make my clutch weak enuff to slipa small bit till around that point then the lockout should apply enuff presure to not slip after that point..

i was always told that when a lockup style clutch was used to its maximum in cars,rails,atv's, ect, that a set of clutches wouldn't last very long at all..but you wouldn't have hardly any wheel spin at all....just drop it and go fast....

track condition does change but that's why you get cool down time to work on your bike setup in between runs i always thought??to adapt to track conditions??

matt

Edited by quadgod211

As for dumping the clutch, that's the proper way to do it on asphalt. You must know something the top classes of NHRA & IHRA don't know.

Hey Turbo...

This guy runs 300 foot dirt and on a banshee.

Show me an NHRA or IHRA bike that is banshee twin based, running on 300ft with 4 wheels and I'll listen to anything you have to say.

Apples to apples.

Back to the riders real problem.

I don't think you need more clutch slip...

I think you need a longer arm and possibly some length out front. If you're overpowering your bar....try slipping the clutch out a bit more.

I use 3 barnett HD springs and 3 off brand hd springs. They're inbetween stock and barnett HD. Clutch pull isn't too bad at the lever....

Grasshopper, the typo excuse is taking the easy way out of giving bad information.

As for dumping the clutch, that's the proper way to do it on asphalt. You must know something the top classes of NHRA & IHRA don't know. They all dump the clutch, but that's the difference between a wannabe good rider/driver and a professional. Yes I included rider, but I guess you would even call a Pro Stock Motorcycle rider average. Bryan

sorry sunshine.. Didn't mean to piss on your glass slippers..