lock out tuning

quadgod211

i guess binding could happen when heating the springs to weaken them as well???

sand ,,dirt or asphalt,,,im using the same set up just changing gears and tires.....and run good enuff to not worrie about being off the pace ...

sand 300ft 3.97 16/ 42 and used 22 sls 13 paddles

dirt 300ft 3.91 16/40 prowedges

300ft asphalt 3.93 16/40 american racers

i dont run spray anymore because it was overpowering the track and it wasnt gaining what i thought it should....

but not alot of difference from my experience .....

matt

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ihave ran on ashpalt and have ran on 300ft ,500ft and 600ft dirt and always just dump the clutch and go. As for the springs i run all heavy and have extra weight added to the lockup fingers.I have never ran sand so i won't argue what works there and what don't.I do know I SlowerThanyou is an extremely knowledgable person to take advice from when it comes to anything drag racing and drag racing anything.

Hey Bryan i'm glad to see your much better and sorry to hear about your accident. I have'nt been on here much lately but i can see there's still the same old drama from the same old persons,lol.

Steve

Thanks Steve, you must have heard about the accident on one of the asphalt sites. I tend to stir up the drama and that happens with too much time on my hands. 1700camaro/Bryan

I still answered his ? and yes it's drag racing and the same basic clutch principles apply. It worked for me on the hill and I will take the same principles to 300' sand. .

Get over your keyboard BS drama. I have nothing but time & you are cheap entertainment.

Cool...

I'll have to remind all my buds that race asphalt they can take their same clutch setup and priniciples from the 1/8 and use it in 300' cause you said so.

Not because you've actually run the 300', but because you said so.

I'll see how that works out for them.

I'm glad I'm cheap entertainment for you....luckily, ignorance doesn't cost you anything.

Bryan...

I know you know your shit. That's not in question here.

What is in question is talking about all these NHRA/IHRA setups, pavement, etc., when this guy rides 300ft dirt.

My other point is just because something should work in principle, doesn't mean it will work in actual application.

Your years at the track should have taught you that. Sounds good, looks good...works?? Ah...like shit.

Us 300 ft. sand/dirt guys don't run cut springs. Some run all HD, some run stockers, some mix and match.

Hell, some even run those RDZ springs which you could use to suspend your truck, those F'ers are STIFF!!!

I don't think he has to cut springs to get what he wants in 300ft in sand or dirt.

I've talked to my good buddy Tedder, a pavement guy, and for that application I'm 100% on your side.

They actually cut springs and use a 2 stage clutch (I sent him some extra springs I had, tedder is just an all around GREAT guy)

So...no more drama, not helping this guy at all. Truce?

Cool...

I'll have to remind all my buds that race asphalt they can take their same clutch setup and priniciples from the 1/8 and use it in 300' cause you said so.

Not because you've actually run the 300', but because you said so.

I'll see how that works out for them.

I'm glad I'm cheap entertainment for you....luckily, ignorance doesn't cost you anything.

You are missing the point it's not the same clutch set-up on sand, but the principles are the same. As for 300' sand, dirt or asphalt the clutch is locked-up well before 300'. You down played the hill and it's not as easy as you make it out to be. Yes, there are no timers, but you can bet I'm getting the best 60' and 300' possible. It's a drag race and I'm going to maximize power to the gound. Now for 300' timed sand, I'm headed there and will use the hill shooting set-up and refine it using the 60' timers.

"What is in question is talking about all these NHRA/IHRA setups, pavement, etc., when this guy rides 300ft dirt."

He runs sand, dirt and asphalt and he stated that later on. As you can see his 300' times correlate pretty closely. That was great information I've been wanting to know. Plus it's very relevent to what we are discussing.

"My other point is just because something should work in principle, doesn't mean it will work in actual application."

The clutch principles haven't let me down yet and I will take them to the 300' sand.

"Us 300 ft. sand/dirt guys don't run cut springs. Some run all HD, some run stockers, some mix and match."

Matt ask if he could cut the springs and I answered correctly, but told him not to do it. There are other problems associated by doing that. So, I totally agree with you he doesn't need to do it, there are other ways to do it.

I run the same multi-stage clutch as Ted/Tedder and I don't want him dragged into this. His name speaks for its self.

I've been told many things I can't do with this quad. I'm taking it out and actually doing it successfully. 300' is next and hopefully Pikes Peak to follow.

I agree with a truce for name calling. As for everything else it's healthy debate and apparently it will end when I make it to the 300' track.

Edited by SlowerThanYou

Let me know when you hit 300 foot sand.

I'd like to see the results, in all seriousness.

If you're able to accomplish more than the top dogs in 60s and 300 foot with smaller motors, etc, people will be beating paths to your door for information, and it will be up to you to share it.

Lastly....

fouledout is a fellow MI racer and good friend.

We are all family here, and when you hit one, you hit us all.

We all have each other's backs. Right or wrong.

Just how we are....

:thumbsup:

And I tried to say that "I never cut the springs.. but...." meaning I have no experience with that and gave a different option that I was familiar with.

For some reason.. My computer lags really bad on this site when I post a reply so it takes awhile for the letters to catch up to the key strokes. So I missed the ONE letter... Then you blew up... You need to relax a bit. I admitted it was a typo and not what I wanted to say, then I get another sarcastic comment back. On the contrary.. I did not give bad advice/information in any way..

Let me know when you hit 300 foot sand.

I'd like to see the results, in all seriousness.

If you're able to accomplish more than the top dogs in 60s and 300 foot with smaller motors, etc, people will be beating paths to your door for information, and it will be up to you to share it.

Lastly....

fouledout is a fellow MI racer and good friend.

We are all family here, and when you hit one, you hit us all.

We all have each other's backs. Right or wrong.

Just how we are....

:thumbsup:

It's going to be a while before I do anything. I had a bad accident and almost died. I'm trying to recuperate a severely broken back and some other issues.

As for clutch information, I share very little of our current set-ups. If I nail it in the 300' I'm sure it will be the same. Regardless, I will provide thruthfull/factual results good or bad. Are you referring to yourself as a top dog, then that can be the standard?

As for Fouledout I was expecting a little more debate, but I guess he needed some help. I'm a fellow MI also, born/raised until 19. Most of my family still lives there and I'm on the West Coast.

As for Fouledout I was expecting a little more debate, but I guess he needed some help. I'm a fellow MI also, born/raised until 19. Most of my family still lives there and I'm on the West Coast.

I dont get into long drawn out keyboard debate/battles.. If you were just trying to get a rise outta me.. then your barkin up the wrong tree.. I said what I had to say about the subject at hand.. and I left it at that. We got enough kids in here staring shit tryin to get arguments going... I'm not going to be one to contribute to it.

It's going to be a while before I do anything. I had a bad accident and almost died. I'm trying to recuperate a severely broken back and some other issues.

As for clutch information, I share very little of our current set-ups. If I nail it in the 300' I'm sure it will be the same. Regardless, I will provide thruthfull/factual results good or bad. Are you referring to yourself as a top dog, then that can be the standard?

Show me where I referred to myself as a top dog.

All I said was people will be beating a path to you door if you do something no one else can do.

Sorry about your accident, no joke...hope you get better soon.

But since all I've ever raced is sand/dirt in 300 foot, in your case that might not make me top dog, but it does make me the wiser and much more experienced dog than you.

I'm 100% certain you wouldn't find me telling people what to do on pavement, other than forward information from friends that do ride like gearing setup, etc. That is not my world.

Take that for what you want.

sorry i dont mean to barge in and steal a thread but what are you guys putting on the fingers on the direct drive lock up to add more weight? mine just has the simple bolt and nut for weight, and will i be able to feel the diff.? i need all the non clutch slippage as possible, i do 300ft sand and dirt. plus im large fellow 6-3 275lbs

And I tried to say that "I never cut the springs.. but...." meaning I have no experience with that and gave a different option that I was familiar with.

For some reason.. My computer lags really bad on this site when I post a reply so it takes awhile for the letters to catch up to the key strokes. So I missed the ONE letter... Then you blew up... You need to relax a bit. I admitted it was a typo and not what I wanted to say, then I get another sarcastic comment back. On the contrary.. I did not give bad advice/information in any way..

I'm still trying to figure out how I blew up according to you on my first post. I replied to what was written, replied with proper information and gave you a recommendation. It was based on your typo, but I was supposed to know that on my first post. Then you start with the name calling and then the talking down to people who dump the clutch. I provided information the correct information for that.

Regardless, I already said I was wrong for getting drawn into name calling. I sure haven't heard the same from anyone else involved.

Show me where I referred to myself as a top dog.

All I said was people will be beating a path to you door if you do something no one else can do.

Sorry about your accident, no joke...hope you get better soon.

But since all I've ever raced is sand/dirt in 300 foot, in your case that might not make me top dog, but it does make me the wiser and much more experienced dog than you.

I'm 100% certain you wouldn't find me telling people what to do on pavement, other than forward information from friends that do ride like gearing setup, etc. That is not my world.

Take that for what you want.

I didn't say you were top dog, it was asked as a ? I want a realistic standard not a 100lb jockey on a chromoly frame. You run nothing but 300' sand/dirt and I thought you would be up to the challenge. I think you have the bigger bike, but nothing stupid for a apples to apples comparison. I have a stock frame, gasoline powered 7mm cub. I think you are close except a 10mm cub on alky, am I right or wrong? All I would like is 3 times to the 300' to better your best time.

What do you think about that, Bryan