lock out tuning

quadgod211

i was just curious what they look like and how the fit....

yea im not going any further then 300ft for now so im good on a single clutch....

i just heard today that the 300ft asphalt track i go to wont run quads anymore....it was close by too...

the only other asphalt track is a 1/8 and its pretty far of a drive and they run on Thursdays....

also does anyone know or ever measured the tallness or height of the stock clutch springs???

matt

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

play around with you springs pressures just because they are HD springs dont mean that they are all the same psi. stock springs are like 40lbs this manufacture is like 50, that one is 60, etc. You may want to try the Barnett Kevlar clutch as they need more spring pressure and sometimes more lockup weight to stop them from slipping. They seem to be pretty tough tho. The other thing who ported your motor? Do you know your durations? I had a motor last year where the port timing was mismatched and there was a big hole in the power band where I was trying to take off. It would bog 99% of the time. Never got a chance to figure the clutch out as I was trying to figure out why the motor was falling off of power so easily. Hope this helps a little.

jim from sand toys done these cylinders....my bogging problem was becuase i was fat on the bottom...i leaned iot up a bit and turned the timing up a lil and fixxed that but im still haveing clutch probs becuase the clutch pulls through the lever when pulled in...i can take the lock out off and its fine but slips on the big end...so if i can lock it up a lil less the 60ft it should run 3.9's all night

i run 4.03's witha 60ft of like 1.58 when it needs to be in the 1.48's

matt

Make sure you clutch is adjusted properly and you can also put lighter springs in it to make it not want to creep while your on the two step. Dont know how long you are on the two step for with the clutch creeping but the long you do it, the hotter your clutch is going to get and the more aggressive it will be. Is your clutch cable old and worn out? Do you have an ez pull type lever?

that could have a lot to do with my problem....cable is new..i got a neutral down trans so i can t set in neutral with the 1st stage light on then click up twice and on a normal run i would say i set there and rev and idle with the clutch pulling for about 15 seconds i guess at the most.......it seem like longer but it might not be..just a guess

matt

• 2 weeks later...
stop running that bike now and put one in.

You can either spend a little now or possibly split the cases later.

No way I'd run any drag bike without a pancake bearing!!

thats some good advise ,an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

concerning the dillema after your sure its(clutch /lockout) functioning properly seems i would be more focused

on the tire selection/choice than i would the lockout adjustment ,on certian tracks the prowedges work killer but theres a good variety of other tires available that might remedy your problem and find a happy medium so your not breaking the wheels loose or bogging ..might be worth experimenting more in that area.

Edited by flotek

• 2 years later...

This is an old thread being brought forward because it applies to the Asphalt to Sand III, Dome Valley, AZ.

Two members had a hard time grasping that clutch tuning plays a very imprortant affect on the asphalt, hill shooting, 300' sand and other forms of motorsports. Even though we had a hard time hooking up down track (hodge podge last minute wrong set-up). We deffinately was getting the job done with 60', thanks to the clutch! ;)

This is an old thread being brought forward because it applies to the Asphalt to Sand III, Dome Valley, AZ.

Two members had a hard time grasping that clutch tuning plays a very imprortant affect on the asphalt, hill shooting, 300' sand and other forms of motorsports. Even though we had a hard time hooking up down track (hodge podge last minute wrong set-up). We deffinately was getting the job done with 60', thanks to the clutch! ;)

Does your shoulder hurt?