Think i found the ideal shock for yfz450 swap

88-04banshee

Well after running my yfz arms/shocks with banshee spindles at glamis a few weeks back i was happy but wanted to get my height back so i decided to take it to the next level and get a set of yfz spindles as well,(it gives you about 3 more inches of travel)

So with this new travel it allows you to run a longer shock (about 17.5 max) i know others have run 18 and 18.5 but i dont like the idea of having the ball joints stop all the weight of the front end. so after doing some searching i found the suzuki ltr450 shock is 17.25 inches long and i found a set for $150 shipped and let me tell you i went out this weekend to superstition and i was hitting some good jumps and the whoops on pole line rd. in 5th gear and it was soaking them up not to mention the fact that it now measures 12.75 inches from bottom of front of the frame by bumper and stock it was 12.0. i am sure i am not the first to try these but figured it was becoming a popular mod and might save some guys the trouble of searching. it does take a little work because you need to get them all the way forward so the spring does not rub on the upper arm but nothing a few washers cant fix. my only regret is they are not yamaha lol

post-31113-1239686861_thumb.jpg

Sweet! I rode an 07ltr this weekend, that suspension is the cats meow. You cant beat the price either, those are cheaper than the yfz shocks I have seen lately! Were they a direct bolt up and go, or did you modify them at all?

No modifying-the only thing i had to do was make a half inch spacer (with washers) because the shock is a little more narrow than the frame mount but i think the spring is a little wider as it needs to go all the way forward anyway so it does not hit the arm.

post-31113-1239720902_thumb.jpg

Edited by 88-04banshee

No modifying-the only thing i had to do was make a half inch spacer (with washers) because the shock is a little more narrow than the frame mount but i think the spring is a little wider as it needs to go all the way forward anyway so it does not hit the arm.

post-31113-1239720902_thumb.jpg

is there any reason you didnt mount the resivor facing backwards?

So How wide is your front end now with the YFZ A-arms and LTR shocks? Did you take all of the preload out of the front?

I own an LTR and now a banshee frame. I'm wanting to build a duner/drag banshee that can actually get it on with the best of them out on the dunes.....

Thanks for this post. I love my LTR suspension...

I weigh ~200lbs I took out all the preload on the front of my LTR and softened up my low speed dampening about 3 turns. I love the way it rides.

forced air induction for cooling is what i would have said!!!

Lmao :biggrin: i wish i would have thought of that haha

just go get the shocks when hes not looking!!!

lol +1

So How wide is your front end now with the YFZ A-arms and LTR shocks? Did you take all of the preload out of the front?

I own an LTR and now a banshee frame. I'm wanting to build a duner/drag banshee that can actually get it on with the best of them out on the dunes.....

Thanks for this post. I love my LTR suspension...

I weigh ~200lbs I took out all the preload on the front of my LTR and softened up my low speed dampening about 3 turns. I love the way it rides.

I am also running the stock yfz rims and from outside to outside it measures just under 47 inches, and yes i have all the preload out of them (i am 215lbs) i have not adjusted them yet but it seems a little soft so i might stiffen it up a bit.

So are you planning on building your ltr and using the stock parts on the banshee frame ?

Well after running my yfz arms/shocks with banshee spindles at glamis a few weeks back i was happy but wanted to get my height back so i decided to take it to the next level and get a set of yfz spindles as well,(it gives you about 3 more inches of travel)

So with this new travel it allows you to run a longer shock (about 17.5 max) i know others have run 18 and 18.5 but i dont like the idea of having the ball joints stop all the weight of the front end. so after doing some searching i found the suzuki ltr450 shock is 17.25 inches long and i found a set for $150 shipped and let me tell you i went out this weekend to superstition and i was hitting some good jumps and the whoops on pole line rd. in 5th gear and it was soaking them up not to mention the fact that it now measures 12.75 inches from bottom of front of the frame by bumper and stock it was 12.0. i am sure i am not the first to try these but figured it was becoming a popular mod and might save some guys the trouble of searching. it does take a little work because you need to get them all the way forward so the spring does not rub on the upper arm but nothing a few washers cant fix. my only regret is they are not yamaha lol

post-31113-1239686861_thumb.jpg

This is an interesting thread. So how do the LTR shocks compare to the YFZ shocks? Could I use the LTR shocks with the stock banshee spindles? Thanks

This is an interesting thread. So how do the LTR shocks compare to the YFZ shocks? Could I use the LTR shocks with the stock banshee spindles? Thanks

They feel a little softer but better than the yfz shocks-i think with the stock banshee spindles the yfz shock are better because they are the right length for the travel you have, if you had the ltr socks now your ball joints would be stopping the suspension. however when/if you upgrade the spindles it is a very noticeable improvement. good luck

They feel a little softer but better than the yfz shocks-i think with the stock banshee spindles the yfz shock are better because they are the right length for the travel you have, if you had the ltr socks now your ball joints would be stopping the suspension. however when/if you upgrade the spindles it is a very noticeable improvement. good luck

Do you happen to know what year of LTR your shocks came off of?? Curious because zuki softened up the shocks for the 08s. I have the YFZ Arms/Shocks and stock banshee spindles. It rides pretty dang rough (like a tank), plus I bottom out everyonce in a while landing jumps. How much longer are the LTRs than the YFZs? I really wasn't planning on switching spindles but if it'll help a ton I'll definetly swap them out.