Tire PSI Comparison

in the "best hooking tire thread" RagunCajun had mentioned that his cut knarlys didnt hook for shit. i made the comment that they looked to have a lot of air in them. he replied back that he was runnin about 6 PSI in them..

so, i decided to go out and see what the difference is between 6 PSI and 1 PSI, which i run at my hillclimbs.. i started with 6 PSI in the tire with my 180 pound ass standing on top of it and then my 1 PSI tire. i set my 10 second timer to capture the results..

notice in the first picture at 6 PSI. it doesnt even look like there could be any weight on the tire. you can still see light under it. while the cut out row still allows the tire to drop down to get more bite from the next lug, the tire itself with not flex much if at all. youve got 2 rows of lugs touching and nothing in between.

now notice the picture at 1 PSI. youve got 3 rows of lugs touching as well as 2 spaces in between. the more tire that is touching the ground, the more traction youre going to have.

also, which cannot be shown by these pictures is the rotational force that your bike will have on the tires. i used to have a picture showing what the rotational force would do to a tire at 1 PSI. they will almost fold on themself. the low PSI combined with the rotation, makes the tire hook 10x harder than it would at 6 PSI.

any questions?

6 PSI

n108001394_31140955_8047243.jpg

1 PSI

n108001394_31140956_7062763.jpg

Interesting read Tyler. It does make sense, hell maybe I should go lower mine from 6 to like 3, even that would make a difference (mine aren't cut).

also, which cannot be shown by these pictures is the rotational force that your bike will have on the tires. i used to have a picture showing what the rotational force would do to a tire at 1 PSI. they will almost fold on themself. the low PSI combined with the rotation, makes the tire hook 10x harder than it would at 6 PSI.

that's cool to show the tire contact. :thumbsup:

rotational spin of drag car tire, same concept.

tire_spin.jpg

Interesting read Tyler. It does make sense, hell maybe I should go lower mine from 6 to like 3, even that would make a difference (mine aren't cut).

it absolutely will. i dont know why anyone would run 6 PSI in atv tires. the most i ever run in 3 in my 450 tires.

the thing about the knarlys is that the lugs are stiffer than most other dirt tires. to get the max traction uncut, you gotta get the PSI way down in them.

sandman, thats the same type of picture i have somewhere.. its a pic of my brother at a hillclimb shot by a photographer. the tire looks the same way. hes hard on the throttle and getting excellent traction.

Tyler what about tire wear, since running less air, getting more surface area of tire, wouldnt wear out the tire faster?

I saw someones sig, hes riding mx and his tires look almost flat. Hes on a red shee givin the finger with a hat on i think

the last set of knarlys i had lasted me 4 years on the hills, testing, etc..

i really wouldnt recommend running 1 PSI for trail applications. i would stick to 2-4 for that. i probably run the tires on my 450 at 3 or 4 when im out jackin around on it.