ported stock cages

jimbob

does any one have a pic of what the finished product should look like or a"how too" anywhere. i've done a search but cant seem to find anything.

cheers

Used to have a set but I sold em. Looks just like the intake when its ported. Round corners and knifed in the middle and rough texture.

SP

Its actually just as good as getting VF3's.

heres how you do it

I used a dremel and I carbide cutting tip to do the major work, then a flat pretty coarse file to help finish shaping it up then finish it off with a triangular fine file, But you can use anything that gets the job done... with the dremel really watch what your doing so you do take to much out it works fast. so what you want to do is use the stock reed petals as a template. on the bottom and inside edge grind it down to where the petal will just barely rest on the cage maybe half a millimeter of a little less. On the outside edge just basically grind off the lip. Then ontop grind it up about 1cm. or about 2mm. below the screw holes, then reshape theinside a little to get smoother flow because you created a drop on the top part. Then I like to use the Boyesen carbon fiber dual stage reeds or the carbon flex 2-stage reeds from vito's (theyre the same thing). Those reeds will cover up any little mistakes you made if you went to far or created a nick that you couldn't grind out because of lack of material.

yeah i had a banshee last year which i put pods on and was really impressed with the throttle response, trouble is pods are really hard to get hold of here, i had to get my last set shipped from the states, its something which i will be doing again tho.

i think there is some very detailed info on tony doukas site http://www.bansheedepot.com/REEDCAGES.asp

Thats pretty much exactly what I did just not as precise on the measurements. I've had a couple friends get rid of there VF3's after I showed them what I can do... Not just on a banshee but a few different 2-strokes

Its actually just as good as getting VF3's.

Then I like to use the Boyesen carbon fiber dual stage reeds or the carbon flex 2-stage reeds from vito's (theyre the same thing).

Ported cages do not flow what vforce do. Vforce flow about 72 cfm if I remember correctly and the best you can get stock to flow are about 43 cfm with boyesen reeds. But that does not mean that ported cages won't work better for your setup (ask your builder). Blaster cages without porting and with boysen reeds flow about 53 cfm. Vito's carbo flex reeds are not the same as boyesen carbon reeds they are boyesen power reeds with a coating not the carbon. "Carbon Flex" is vit's name for them and it is very decieving. Vito's "carbon flex" reeds are coated so they are safe to run alcohol. That is the only difference between them and boysen power reeds.

Ported cages do not flow what vforce do. Vforce flow about 72 cfm if I remember correctly and the best you can get stock to flow are about 43 cfm with boyesen reeds. But that does not mean that ported cages won't work better for your setup (ask your builder). Blaster cages without porting and with boysen reeds flow about 53 cfm. Vito's carbo flex reeds are not the same as boyesen carbon reeds they are boyesen power reeds with a coating not the carbon. "Carbon Flex" is vit's name for them and it is very decieving. Vito's "carbon flex" reeds are coated so they are safe to run alcohol. That is the only difference between them and boysen power reeds.

It is best to leave the center wide but carve out about 3/16 inch up off the end. Carve so that the center doesn't toubh the tip anymore.