jumping for beginners

some87

ok guys i havent had an atv since i was a little kid but now i just got a shee a few days ago and just wanted to know some basics of jumping before i go out and try jumping and land on my ass. any help would be appreciated.

I'd say get used to just riding before you try jumps. Make sure you have control of the power band so you dont hit it and jack your front end real high on a jump. The basic rule is if your front end is up tap the back brake and if you nose dive tap your throttle.

• 7 months later...

Table tops that gradually slope out to the lanind are grat for learning you can go small at first then hit it harder and still have the slop landing, after building confidence on a table move to small doubles or even jumping nice whoops sections on trails.

Step One: Obtain medical insurance.

Start with a table top jump, not a gap jump.

Keep the throttle steady, don't blip it and DO NOT LET OFF.

Keep loose and relaxed, but don't let go!

Don't go for height, don't "preload"

Just go for a smooth straight clean jump with only enough air to make the landing.

Flat landing = rear wheels first, punch the throttle right before you land, and keep it on.

Sloped landing = all four touch at the same time if possible (the front end will be "downward"), also, use throttle right as you land.

As you approach the face of the jump, keep a steady speed and just "ride over it". Do not let off the throttle do not wick the throttle. Lean back slightly so you feel your weight pulling back against the handlebars (not too much). Right as you land, give more throttle, but not WFO.

• 11 months later...

i usually make sure im in the power band, then when i have my speed right i just keep steady speed in the powerband all the way up the jump, i find if you let off too early it will nose dive, and if you hold the gas in the air the front comes up more. i try to let off the gas right when im my tires leave the jump and it keeps me level. im not a pro but i have been riding quads since i was very young and this is what i found that my banshee does. with my old blaster i could just roll over jumps and it would always stay level, but the suspension suck ass.

Edited by NOVIS